NOW OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 001

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #61
oooh! i need to get back into sketching/drawing before the uni year starts in september (worked my arse off all summer and didn't have any time at all :( ) and this is perfect! plus i can practice sketching digitally rather than scanning then continuing in Photoshop. so.. uh, here's my very rusty attempt at one of the sketches:

i know i messed up her hands heh.. but, comments and criticisms most definitely welcome and would be very appreciated.

the next sketch i will do, i think i will try to do either just volume and not outlines.. outlines i always do, and my Drawing teachers always try to wean me off them.. :P or i could try getting off the computer and using some good ol' charcoal for some bolder tones and shadows. i miss charcoal. hmmmmm i should go do the other one..

Old 08 August 2005   #62
hi! i just wanted to try...i'm not very happy with the result...i'll try to do it better with the next photo.
i've painted with red and blue cause i don't know how to paint a nice skin tone ...

the contour lines are to strong...i don't know how to fix it.
be nice please

Old 08 August 2005   #63
Okay here goes. I would have posted sooner but I've been filling in her hair for the last half-hour. O-o Dang my wrist is dead!

Pencil sketch scanned and cleaned up a bit in Painter where I was "brushing" her hair in. It's @ 18x24 inches.

-David
P.S. Allenatl - that one's great! The lines are lovely.

Old 08 August 2005   #64
dbclemons, very nice! You've got the best feet so far... a really hard part, especially in this pose and view. Her left breast though (the lower one) seems a bit stiff, not as nicely flowing as the lines in other parts... upper body slightly too big but it seems it's on purpose, exaggerating those nice arms and luscious deltoid...

Old 08 August 2005   #65
Hey all,

Lurker coming out of the woodworks.
I was lucky enough to be in a workshop a month ago that Rebecca had helmed. She really knows her stuff. I'm a little bit green in figure drawing, but I've improved quite a bit-- in no small part thanks to her.

sorry... i posted some sketches, but i exceeded my bandwidth limit with the folks hosting the pics. i'm gonna try to set somethng up later this weekend.

~tate

Last edited by tateSrey : 08 August 2005 at 03:14 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #66
Great stuff, everyone

here's a quick 30min Painter sketch:
I'm always looking for ways improve my figure drawing skills. This thread will be good practice.

Old 08 August 2005   #67
Talking

allenatl,

Welcome to the forum!

Your lines are beautiful ~ I like the confidence with which they are executed, along with the parallel lines of shading ~ very reminiscent of old school Illustrators.

The main thing I find odd is that the right side of her rib cage looks a bit crushed ~ look at the left and right sides of the rib cage and consider the volume as a whole. As an average shape, the rib cage is rather like an elongated sphere ~ emphasizing the Opposing Curves of her figure will bring a bit more roundness and believability to her graceful form.

Alexandrite,

Welcome also.

Your drawing has a very nice, confident and loose gestural quality which goes nicely with the roundness of female form. I like that you've not tried to make an exact copy of the model and have tweaked the model's form to suit your drawing style. I would say that the right side of her rib cage is a bit flattish with reference to the left. I don't mind the gestural abbreviation of the hands as their style matches the rest of the drawing. Looking forward to seeing more work of yours!

rodia,

Why not so happy? I think you've done a good job of roughing in the form and of establishing a nice simplification of the figure. The left side of her body is particularly confidently executed, and you seem to have a basic understanding of the principle of Opposing Curves in the body which work together to create form. I would maybe lessen the saturation of your colors, but I think you should just continue working and definitely post your results!

dbclemons,

Wow! For a guy who just "cleared his desk" a few hours ago, you've really done a great job and have created a wonderful Golden Age Illustration style drawing a la Andrew Loomis. Beautifully executed hair and wonderfully natural expression in the face. Great job!!!

Stahlberg,

You must be new. Welcome brownie?

-Brittany-,

Hmm, I like the pastel quality to this piece. I'd really like to see where it goes! Remember that, for this thread, there is no time limit, so if you would like to continue with your piece and repost, please do so! Watch the proportion of her lower leg ~ it's small in relation to her upper leg ~ a good way to check the lower leg's length is to see where the foot falls in relation to the model's buttocks. I think once you start to blend your colors a bit more, this will really start to shape up into a nice piece!

~GREAT posts everyone! Keep up the good work!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #68
Thanks for the comments and suggestions, Rebeccak.
I added a little more to give the rib area more definition. Let me know what you think.

Old 08 August 2005   #69
Talking

allenatl,

Just a quick review:

Sorry, I'm super tired, so these lines are a little sloppy, but they give the idea.

I think you were drawing what you saw in the photo ~ the model's rib cage is rather flattened out in the picture. However, to convey more of a sense of the rhythm and flow of the model's form, I would suggest offseting the major curves of the body to establish volume, and to EXAGGERATE what you see by applying what you know about the human figure.

Thank you for resposting your work, and I hope you will continue to post more of your drawings!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #70
Talking

Meh, this is kind of sucky, but I figure, what the hell.

(deleted)

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 01:13 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #71
Smile Great Job Everyone!

Hello everyone,

This is Hong Ly. I would like to thank Rebecca for giving her time in this forum. She too has a very hectic work schedule and yet she spends much of her time helping others and she does it all without monetary compensation (without pay). A big cheers for Rebecca.

Everyone here is doing an amazing job. I apologized for the overpowering watermark. I realized it was rather distracting and I will tone it down in the future. At the moment I am currently working a site devoted for artist resources (free high resolution textures, free high resolution figure photos etc). I’ll keep everyone posted.

Tips:

-Draw the whole figure and not just parts. I important that you lay down the whole form before you start rendering.

I tell all my students at Gnomon that the more you draw the better you’ll get (duh!) and it takes one thousand (or more) bad drawings to produce a good one. Time to get all those bad drawings off your back. So everyone lets starting drawing (or painting).

-Hong Ly

info@characterdesigns.com

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 05:54 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #72
Originally Posted by rebeccak: Ok, so here is my small WIP ~ my motto: when in doubt, blur. Be gentle, people.

~Rebeccak

this was so funny cause my visions been going from blurry to sharp to blurry again today
because of eye surgery and i didnt know if my eyes were acting up or not when i viewed this, hehe

ps.great pic ryusen!

Old 08 August 2005   #73
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: dbclemons, very nice! You've got the best feet so far... a really hard part, especially in this pose and view. Her left breast though (the lower one) seems a bit stiff, not as nicely flowing as the lines in other parts... upper body slightly too big but it seems it's on purpose, exaggerating those nice arms and luscious deltoid...

Thank you Steven. In Painter when I line it up with the photo, the torso is actually spot on. Her scapula flares out there so wide it exaggerates itself. Her left breast does drop a bit more though - good call, and I definetly gave her Wonder Woman arms. That left foot should curl in more too. Details, details...

-DBC

Having problems uploading the corrections. Here's an attached file:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matchup.jpg (54.0 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by dbclemons : 08 August 2005 at 11:10 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #74
Talking

Squibbit,

What are you doing looking at computer screens when your eyes are healing from surgery matey???

Actually, your eye doctor called me and said, psst, hey, kid, wanna mess with a client of mine? He looks like a pirate, 'aye, and if you blur your figure drawing, 'arrr, it'll just really f*** him up, 'arrr!!! Hope you feel better soon, Squib!

Tate!!!

For whatever reason, your post didn't show up for me until this morning, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it this morning. Thank you for posting these!!! It looks as though you are doing an awesome job, I am thrilled to see your work here. I'll try to do a review later today. Hope you will continue to post on this and other threads!!!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #75
This workshop sounds like a good place to learn and practise so I think I'll put some real effort into this one. I need to take a little break now but I thought to post a WIP image before that.

Thread Closed share thread