Rebecca Kimmel's Anatomy Review 003: SHADING TUTORIAL AND HUMAN SKULL EXERCISE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #46
My first go at this one. Done with a biro in my sketchpad.

It was loosely based on this plate from Albinus on Anatomy -

I altered the facial proportion a bit for mine.

Old 07 July 2005   #47
Talking

default.rol,

Great post! ~I really like your linework, and how carefully you delineated proportions. I especially appreciate this because I know you already posted a front-view skull in the Anatomical Drawings thread, which is great! ~so I'm thrilled to see doing more.

Keep up the good work! And definitely don't confine yourself to the limitations of this lesson ~ if you feel like going further, please feel free to do so, and post your results on this, or other, threads.

I also think that ballpoint pen is an especially good medium with which to create Anatomy studies / sketches such as these ~ pencil is good, too, or charcoal, or digital, but ballpoint pen forces you to get to the heart of the matter and really render out those small details that can be so important.

Thank you for your post!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 09:31 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #48
Talking

Hi RebeccaK

Thanks for the feedback - I have done this one (and the other skull posted in the anatomy section) in ballpoint pen as I remember reading on your first? lesson that it was a good medium to use for this sort of work.

It certainly makes you think about it a bit more. I learned that from the first skull I did.

Thanks for help and encouragement again

MIKE

Old 07 July 2005   #49
Talking

Hey, Mike ~

I'm confused, I've gotten used to your user name, so it's odd to realize you have a real one
heh ~ just a funny sidenote.

I'm happy you're doing so much work for these lessons, you've definitely been doing a lot of diligent work and it's awesome to see the results!

It's pretty cool that people are interested in these lessons and doing a lot of drawing ~ it's so foundational, and I've always appreciated that aspect of my art training tremendously. I think in this digital age people pine for the "simpler" stuff ~ tho I certainly don't consider drawing simple. It's actually the hardest thing I've ever had to learn, and I continue to do so. I've learned a ton from seeing peoples' work on this site, and am continually inspired.

Keep up the great posts!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #50

Umm I'm trying really really hard to make peace with my tablet.
I'll post when I get some shading results, on the meantime..

I used the tablet for the concept and the trusty pen to cleanup.
I can also paint lines with the mouse, no beziers or sensitivity..
This while I'm waiting for the replacement nibs
Thanks for the inspiration Rebecca.

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited by Spin99 : 07 July 2005 at 09:09 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #51

Done in Painter 9... about 4 hours. I used conte variants mostly. A little just add water to smooth the eye sockets and the forehead area. I used the provided skull links as a reference, which I have noticed are a little different then my picture. Getting a headache has stopped me from wanting to tweak around with it anymore. Thanks for taking a look, and thanks for all the hard work put into this forum. I'm really learning a lot.

Old 07 July 2005   #52
Talking

jinnseng,

WOW, this is BEAUTIFUL ~ thank you for posting this! I am really happy to hear that you are learning from this tutorial, it is great to hear!

I hope you continue to post more of your lovely work (and I hope your headache clears up)

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #53
Not as good as some of the others, I noticed some problems, like where the root of the teeth go into the skull on the upper set on the right, the shadow is where the hightlight should be, too thick of a bone around the right eyesocket, and some other stuff.

This is a great forum, I've started to grasp more and more as I read this fourm and especially your tutorials Rebecca. The only problem with them is that they don't come fast enough.

Last edited by Mavrick71 : 07 July 2005 at 03:15 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #54
Talking

Mavrick71,

Hey, thank you for posting your work! And thank you for your compliments! They are appreciated . It's not important here how 'good' you believe your work to be in relationship to others ~ it's important how much you grow and get out of this lesson. So I appreciate your putting the effort forth to use the tutorial to your best advantage.

Here is what I would recommend ~ and it is a recommendation which I made to many people who participated in the previous lessons, both beginning and advanced artists alike: a great exercise is to TRACE, in Photoshop or with tracing paper, the image which you are copying. Doing so allows you to cross that initial line of fear which all artists face, and which frequently hinders us from producing our best work.

Also, tracing eliminates some of the false expectations which we tend to project onto imagery which we see (such as a skull) and think we know ~ but really do not. Learning to draw is essentially about learning how to see, and tracing teaches us to see, so that when we draw without tracing paper, we are better trained to look at and consider what it is which we are drawing.

I would recommend trying this exercise ~ tracing (either digitally or traditionally) the image of the skull, and then RE-DRAWING the skull freehand.

You will be surprised at the results.

Good luck, and I hope you post your results!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 03:25 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #55
Hmmm... interesting proposition we have here; I like it! I just printed the skull out, and I'll get started on it first thing in the morining, it's getting late and I'm tired. I'll be sure to post the results as soon as I get it done.

Old 07 July 2005   #56
Talking

Mavrick71,

Awesome! It's great to see your initiative . Looking forward to seeing your results.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #57
Here's another one of mine:

Drawn in pencil, colored in PS. I want to later shade in pencil to compare to my PS coloring.

I used a desaturated version of the front ref Rebecca provided. (Pic is scaled down to 600 width)

Old 07 July 2005   #58
Hi all, this has taken 1,5 hours with photoshop.
I mainly worked with black (and white) "contè crayon on bumpy surface" brush at 10% (sometimes 5%) opacity.

I tried adjusting levels in photoshop to have a full range of light/dark. Which version is better ? The first or the second ?

Edit: I tried to follow the good advice to use a model...so I had a walk in the park with my skinning knife...but, surprisingly enough , noone was glad to have his head severed for my artistic purposes! So I had to use the old photo referece rebeccak provided (flipped)

Hey...Just kidding

Last edited by Xillion : 07 July 2005 at 11:15 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #59
This is a great lesson! skulls are fun to draw
I can't help humming heavy metal tunes when i draw skulls (and i'm not a metal fan)

It's mechanical pencil, about half an hour
reference from a picture from Corbis
[IMG]calvera.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calvera.jpg (94.4 KB, 94 views)

Old 07 July 2005   #60
Talking

scorpion007,

Wow, it's cool to see the differences between the piece you did in Painter vs. the one you did in Photoshop ~ could you tell us about what your drawing experience was like in one program vs the other? Were there any major advantages or disadvantages to using one program vs the other? Thank you for posting this ~ keep up the great work!

Xillion,

For some reason, I cannot see your image, which is disappointing since I know it's a good one! I seem to remember there being this problem when you posted work on the last lesson ~ what image hosting service are you using? It could just be me, but I'll double-check later today when I get to work ~ hoping I can see it then! Thanks for posting!

Zarracin,

Wow, it's cool that it only took you a half hour to do ~ seems like folks are pretty speedy these days!

My recommendation would be, however, to slow down and to draw larger. This forces you to acknowledge all of the little details which are important.

Great work, guys! Keep on posting your updates!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread