Rebecca Kimmel's Anatomy Review 002: OPPOSING CURVES

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
Get in early so it can get lsot in the sea of posts gave it a go, i still have some horrendous bits i think, the lower arm is like, a nightmare for me. I just kept having () :/ anywho, heres an early attempt. i got the characters left arm wrong, i wasnt happy with it at all, and the right one, i thought the elbow was waaay to low.

ref was:
http://www.prometheus-imports.com/g...knidos-mb-l.jpg

ignore the hands tiny tiny hand
Sidenote- I found a pencil! its a bog standrd hb, as all my artsy pencils are 100 miles away.

Great thread, before this (and well, the last one) i had never thought of the opposing curves. but now, knowing about it, i can see them on pictures and people, and thats something i had not noticed before

Keep up the good wrk everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lesson2-doodle.jpg (25.9 KB, 172 views)

07 July 2005
Talking

NoirQ,

No worries, that's what practice is for. I frankly consider Drawing to be a rather ornerous and difficult but rewarding task that has taken me a LONG time to feel moderately comfortable with. I think the reason I keep coming back to it is the challenge of thinking that I can get better, even though it isn't easy...I'm sure everyone here can relate to that!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
gooooo idea

Hi ... Just wanted to say what an awesome idea this thread is. Good job Rebecca... you know what you're doing alright!

S

07 July 2005
NOIR ,heres NOOB!'s input on ur post

You seem to be placing curves in willy nilly without actually thinking.Rebecca isn't saying make everything curved,shes saying its a technique that can be used to create form in certain areas.

look at the actual ref and compare it to your sketch,i think u took it a little extreme,don't you? instead of going straight into it,think about where the opposing curves will be needed,and think about her GESTURE too,don't forget what u've learned from the previous lessons now .

AHHHHH! i sound like a teacher,sumone slap me.lol

hope to see another attempt soon,hope i didn't discourage you.

Sphere,u seem to have gone the opposite way of Noir,and i hardly see a dynamic use of curves,to me ur figure looks pretty stiff? but its still a nice attempt.

ugh! i need work on sum more now.

edit: oh and fromy,i have nothing to say to u,i hate u,ur too good.just like rebecca,i hate u both ggggrr!

Last edited by NOOB! : 07 July 2005 at 05:23 PM.

07 July 2005
Studies

Edit: added study #13

Last edited by Xillion : 07 July 2005 at 03:53 PM.

07 July 2005
Talking

Xillion ~

Woo! Nice! Can't wait to review this one...definitely post updates...

EDIT: Michelangelo is THE person from whom to study Opposing Curves ~ he is the master of them. I would recommend for anyone to study from his works ~ to draw from his Drawings, Paintings, Frescoes, or Sculptures.

EDIT 2: Note the interesting part about using Opposing Curves: Did you have to know the name of every bone, muscle, and tendon to create this drawing? NO.

Thanks for sharing this!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 05:48 PM.

07 July 2005
Okay, picked up the courage to post! I hope I got the right end of the stick here, drawing the opposing sides of the body sections is how I draw without reference most of the time, so I'm not sur eif what I'm doing is right! The two cleaner lined drawings were done from photographic reference, the scribblier of the two were based on a couple of gestures I picked at random from the sheets I'd produced over the past few days, and have no other reference than my sketchy knowledge of what lies beneath. Thanks again to you Rebecca, these exercises are helping me tremendously. I've already noticed that the ribcage on the female form is probably leaning to far forward to make it believable and the neck on the male scribbly isn't quite connected right.

07 July 2005
You seem to be placing curves in willy nilly without actually thinking.Rebecca isn't saying make everything curved,shes saying its a technique that can be used to create form in certain areas.
_______

hmm, yeah, i can see that. good point i shall go back to it.
----
hope to see another attempt soon,hope i didn't discourage you.

its fine i can assure you you haven't is nice to be given advice

07 July 2005
those are sum pretty sha-weet drawings zep.

hey thanks noir for listening.

grr now i can't see xillions drawings

07 July 2005
yes, yes, yes great idea
quick sketch

07 July 2005
Talking

Zepyhri,

Nice, nice, nice, nice, nice.

I rather like the *scribblier* ones ~ I think they are a lot more expressive and interesting than the *cleaner* ones. I REALLY like the two far right sketches ~ and I think it is a GREAT idea to draw from previously done sketches ~ these give you something to go on besides pure imagination, but you have to THINK a lot more to make the drawings work.

Thanks for posting these ~ I can tell this will be a great session!

EDIT: Redpoly ~ Rockin'! Keep posting!

EDIT 2: Go Xillion!!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 06:22 PM.

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by rebeccak: Thanks for the question ~ I would say, when looking at the figure, DECIDE IN ADVANCE where the MOST IMPORTANT CURVES are ~ and draw them SIMPLY, as in the Gesture Drawings. Put one curve down, then it's opposing curve, and work your way down the figure, using a rhythmic back and forth motion of your pencil that addresses both sides of the body with equal measure.

Do NOT completely draw ONE side of the body, and then, the other side.

Instead, work the figure ONE set of Opposing Curves at a time ~ create form just with these Curves as you work down the body.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the posts, guys!
~Rebeccak

Thanks

I should have gathered that from the original post, but it didn't click for some reason.

Originally Posted by rebeccak: Post your best drawings. So long as you feel the drawings which you post show improvement, I would post them

I'll do a few more...they'll be more on topic if nothing else.

Last edited by FromanylanD : 07 July 2005 at 06:39 PM.

07 July 2005
my posting to the lesson.
edit: added reference photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newopposingcurves.jpg (90.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg oppandrefphoto.jpg (85.0 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by AdrielaSakamoto : 07 July 2005 at 08:12 PM. Reason: photo reference added.

07 July 2005
Talking

FromanylanD,

DEFINITELY post. Don't just slide thru ~ even you can benefit from this!

AdrielaSakamoto,

Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool. I'll start to review peoples' work tonight or tomorrow.
But of course people have all week to post their work, and I'll continue to review.

Keep it coming!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
Noir, When I saw your sketch I was reminded of some of Ruben's work, in the style and execution. (The Assumption of the Virgin, for example and some others I cannot locate) http://www.myamericanartist.com/ame...t_id=1000928783

Opps.. meant to say: The curves, in abundance, lend a dynamic feel to what would other wise be a very static piece. I like the feel of it a lot, and I like that you leaped in and just went for it. You'll find your feet soon that way.

Given the photographic quality of your reference, I think you did very well with it. I couldn't have made heads or tails of it, myself. May I suggest this site for some great sculptural references if you are leaning in that direction. (they don't move, that's for sure!)

http://www.thais.it/scultura/default_uk.htm

Keep going. The best way to learn to draw, is to.. well.. draw!
Best,
A

Last edited by AdrielaSakamoto : 07 July 2005 at 07:18 PM.

Thread Closed share thread