Rebecca Kimmel's Anatomy Review 002: OPPOSING CURVES

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #16
New lesson sounds good ,
I'll post my skeches soon .

Thanks....

Old 07 July 2005   #17

Colors scanned a little weird...10-20 mins. Could be more focused on the curves...is it still ok to post more than one drawing?

http://www.garrionstudio.f9.co.uk/maletorso.jpg

EDIT: 'nother one...

http://www.garrionstudio.f9.co.uk/femaletorso.jpg

Last edited by FromanylanD : 07 July 2005 at 08:50 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #18
Hmmm! I will do lots more tomorow... To late..

Old 07 July 2005   #19
English is not my natural language so I can't understand a thing about opposing curves. I got it like this: I can't do curves like this ( ) I have to differ them so they woudn't look like mirrored, something like this ? It's so confusing .

Old 07 July 2005   #20
Originally Posted by commodore: English is not my natural language so I can't understand a thing about opposing curves. I got it like this: I can't do curves like this ( ) I have to differ them so they woudn't look like mirrored, something like this ? It's so confusing .

If you are doing then you are doing it correct

Old 07 July 2005   #21
I believe you're correct, commodore.

Rebecca, I have a question. How exactly does this concept of opposing curves work, practically? Should we be drawing a certain way? Or just working normally and simply taking note of the curves?

Last edited by FromanylanD : 07 July 2005 at 11:05 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #22
Talking

meta87 wrote:

>Do you know of any figure drawing books that address this? I have several books.

Hey, meta87, good to see you back! There is a book whose name I will research for you and post as soon as I find it.

>Are there times when a paranthesis type shape is acceptable or should this be avoided at all costs? There are times when I am drawing from a photo (Since I can't find any live models :( ) and I see pretty symmetrical curves and have a hard time avoiding them.

If you're just putting in lines for the lay-in/gesture and are noting the edges of any width of the body ~ be it arm, leg, torso, wrist, etc. ~ it's fine. But I've really never seen ( ) curves work well. If you see in the body curves which are not much offset, exaggerate them a bit...I think it will help to improve a drawing.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #23
Talking

seth1 ~ thanks for the post!

meta87 ~ wow ~ I think these are a big improvement over the last set of gesture sketches which you did. I'll review these soon.

Gordon Freeman ~ cool! looking forward to your posts

FromanylanD: Great! Looking good so far. Post your best drawings. So long as you feel the drawings which you post show improvement, I would post them

Seth1 ~ the torso in the upper right corner is really getting there ~ later I'll post something about emphasizing the apexes of curves.

commodore ~ I'm sorry! I will try to post more drawings to explain It's cool to have an international group of peers...

Cyborgguineapig: thanks!

FromanylanD wrote:
>How exactly does this concept of opposing curves work, practically? Should we be drawing a certain way? Or just working normally and simply taking note of the curves?

Thanks for the question ~ I would say, when looking at the figure, DECIDE IN ADVANCE where the MOST IMPORTANT CURVES are ~ and draw them SIMPLY, as in the Gesture Drawings. Put one curve down, then it's opposing curve, and work your way down the figure, using a rhythmic back and forth motion of your pencil that addresses both sides of the body with equal measure.

Do NOT completely draw ONE side of the body, and then, the other side.

Instead, work the figure ONE set of Opposing Curves at a time ~ create form just with these Curves as you work down the body.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the posts, guys!
~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #24
this is mega hard! arrrghhh!!

.......*sumtime later*

heres my quick attempt...

if ur gunna ask me what shez doin,the answer will be *F**K KNOWS*,just ur regular neked spasticated woman.just wanted to experience curvation in a more dynamic way.

forgive me for not having ref or any visual ades.

Last edited by NOOB! : 07 July 2005 at 12:14 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #25
Yay, I finally got my scanner working! Here's a quick sketch I made.

Last edited by sphere : 07 July 2005 at 01:13 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #26
Talking

NOOB and sphere,

These posts are really impressive ~ keep up the good work!! If you decide to post even better sketches or updates of drawings using Opposing Curves, please do so.

Thanks!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #27
i can't see spheres

am i the only one?

Old 07 July 2005   #28
Talking

NOOB, I can see sphere's post...

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #29
I can't see it as well(I mean the work of sphere)

Old 07 July 2005   #30
Dont worry NOOB and Mirwen - I cant see Spheres drawing for some reason also! Tried it in two seperate browsers too. Perhaps its just an "European" thing!

I will try to get some stuff on-line in the next few days for this. Still trying to sort out how it works in my own head!

Thread Closed share thread