Rebecca Kimmel's Anatomy Review 001: GESTURE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Talking

Darktwin, ynvamsi, swadepgh, skeksi, solarundies, cryptic ghost, DjinnShadows, MagicRubber, ZuraK ~ thanks for your posts! I am going to attempt to review as much stuff as possible, it's great to see the enthusiasm and the work that people are submitting!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2005
Wow! Thanks so much for the lesson!

The drawings you made are so much help. Great idea about the tracing paper, I always kind off shyed away from tracing, but I definitely see what you mean about it helping. My sketches always get alittle crowded and it is hard to keep working on a sketch after a while.

I am really going to work hard on the box approach for the ribcage and pelvis. It is hard for me to grasp, but I have been using Bridgman's Life Drawing book which is so into this method. He seems to use a very boxy method of drawing the human figure. I like it because it really makes the anatomy more clear.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this! I'm learning alot already.

06 June 2005
cool thread

here's a couple of n00b sketches i did (in PS, because i couldnt be bothered scanning :P)
I actually find it a lot harder in PS compared to on real paper...

06 June 2005
augustus~
thanks for posting! Ah, I see we have another willing victim

Ok, here is your original drawing along with my very slight modifications...

Essentially, you've made my job easy by establishing a very strong figure with a good sense of proportion, weight, volume, and foreshortening. I like that you've put in some of the landmarks of the body to guide your measurements for the limbs. So definitely you are not a beginner.

There are a few minor critiques to point out. I would thicken the man's right upper leg as it looks a bit atrophied in comparison to the man's left upper leg, which seems in good proportion to his torso. Watch the widths of his ankles, as the man's left ankle seems a bit thin in comparison to his right. To give the man's right leg a more convincing sense of tension (he is pushing with his leg against the floor), add emphasis to the curves which oppose each other on either side of the man's leg ~ not like parentheses ( ) but rather emphasize the curves as they oppose each other in an offset way as they do in a spiral of DNA. This will give you a more convincing sense of organic form.

Lastly, I would suggest doing just what I did ~ which was to tape a piece of tracing paper on top of your drawing and both simplify things as well as emphasize, through confident lines, the contour of the figure. By contour, I do not mean outline so much as the natural flow of lines around the man's form. You definitely have a great start which only needs a bit of tweaking. Definitely post more drawings in the future!

Thanks
~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 06 June 2005 at 05:53 AM.

06 June 2005
meta87~

>Wow! Thanks so much for the lesson!

You are absolutely welcome thanks for being a good sport!

>Great idea about the tracing paper, I always kind off shyed away from tracing, but I definitely see what you mean about it helping.

It may be old-fashioned, but it does the trick! I agree with scorpion007 that basic drawing in Photoshop is WAY harder than just a good ol' pencil ~ something to do with the slickness of the Wacom surface, I think the texture of the paper slows you down and allows you time to consider what you're doing...even taping paper over my Wacom tablet just doesn't do it for me.

>I am really going to work hard on the box approach for the ribcage and pelvis. It is hard for me to grasp, but I have been using Bridgman's Life Drawing book which is so into this method.

Great! I should have mentioned Bridgeman. I have his books somewhere...his boxy shapes are definitely helpful conceptually, although I always found his system to be sketchy and incomplete ~ hence the suggestion to work from several different books to fill in the gaps.

>Thanks again for taking the time to do this! I'm learning alot already.

Spread the word and keep posting! I am learning a lot, too.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2005
Here is mine

I drew this from a statue I found on the net. First laid it out quick than added a quick black line.

06 June 2005
<Quoting Rainman> Definitely gotta sleep...Definitely.

Thanks for the posts, guys, please keep it up!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

06 June 2005
Here's a slightly refined verson of my first picture:

This time with a muscle reference. (not pose)

06 June 2005
crouched attempt

This gesture was the most difficult of the ones I tried to draw but it seemed to turn out the best of them. Would really appreciate any feedback, this thread is the maddest idea. Thanks Rebeccak!

Carl English 2005
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crouched.jpg (81.7 KB, 199 views)

06 June 2005
The worst part of books is, well, they don't tell you what you're doing wrong. I've spent almost an half hour to compare A and B. Your crits and suggestions worths a lot! Thank you very very much.

Sorry for my
terrible English.

Sketch everyday

06 June 2005
Nice post everyone! But im confused....are we supposed to come up with simple gestures (cylinders & peanut) or the ones with defined muscle lines??

06 June 2005
interesting,i'll work on sumthin..

06 June 2005
Here are a couple from me:

This is from life, but my dear model was asleep and under the covers, so it made making the shapes a leetle trickier

These are from photos of models off the internet. I should probably find some that have legs

Edit: 'Nother two, again from models.

And one where I was trying to go faster, since I probably spent too long on the last one.

Last edited by Kalorlo : 06 June 2005 at 04:39 PM.

06 June 2005
Here's my try:

Pics from magazines, using a Wacom. C & C welcome. Thanks~

06 June 2005
This is awesome! I'm taking a figure drawing class this semester, and while I still have no idea what I'm doing, I love it. This is an fantastic opportunity - count me in!

Rebecca your drawings are amazing!

Here are a few humble submissions from me:

Last edited by lutonomy : 06 June 2005 at 12:11 PM.

Thread Closed share thread