Rebecca Kimmel's Anatomy Review 001: GESTURE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #31
Thanx for sharing your knowledge, Rebecca !
I will watch regularly this great (and necessary ) thread.

PS : your anatomical studies are AWESOME.

Bye,

Pierre.

Old 06 June 2005   #32
I am so excited, this is what I have been waiting for, time to get to work!

"Let him who would move the world first move himself"

-Socrates-

Old 06 June 2005   #33
Talking Thanks for the posts!

Wow, guys, thanks for the posts! Can't wait to see more folks' work, I'm really excited people are interested in participating!! This is going to be awesome...

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06 June 2005   #34
Gotta tell you this. I recently got into 2d stuff with a real intent to learn it. This is just excellent timing. I hope I will be able to participate. I had learnt a thing or two here and there, at least I know I'm doing half of it right now. LOL and thx.
modelling practice #1

Old 06 June 2005   #35
It's good to see something like this on cgtalk, it's rare. Your drawings are very impressive, and for an Ilustration student such as myself it is inspirational..

I think it is great that an Illustration thread made it to front page, especially on a mainly computer graphics website. I think everyone who is really interested in this should check out conceptart.org some fantastic drawings are there, including many anatomy drawings.. It does not focus to much on computer related topics, but the traditional drawing the techniques.

Again, awsome thread, and it will be fun to check up on updates, regularly!

Old 06 June 2005   #36
I'm soo here, Dudette. A thousand blessings on your head for doing this.

A. Sakamoto

Old 06 June 2005   #37
Wow!

I'm in.

Old 06 June 2005   #38
Originally Posted by default.rol: Wow!

I'm in.

The child sobs, "give it to me!" The bright, full moon. (Haiku poem)

Old 06 June 2005   #39
nice, ill be coming back here for sure! great to see you here Rebecca showing your skills to the world

JOIN THE DSG

Old 06 June 2005   #40
This is a very interesting topic! While listening to Ray Charles I did a few gesture drawings

They are based on photos I took yesterday (you can see one here ^_^).
I was just excited to draw so I did not strictly follow the guidelines, I hope it's not too bad!. At the end of the week I'll chose the best sketch to have it reviewed

update #1: another batch of studies (model photos from the web)

update #2: some more... (oh God...my lines are so unclean!)

update #3: did you ever hear to Avantasia-The metal opera part II ? I did this while listening to it

Update #4: these are the first few studies done without reference. I tried to focus on the peanut shape as suggested.

Update #5: I tried to follow the suggestion to draw not the figure but the action the figure is doing. I imagined the reaction of a man caught by sudden fire from front/below. The first two drawings are the original sketch and a tracing...I was not entirely satisfied so I produced the third drawing which I think is better. No reference used in any of these.

Update #6: a few more studies developing the idea of actions (I gave a name to the pictured action for rebecca to double check the result). Again, no reference used.

Update #7: one more pose. a man is pulling a rope. the first rendition does not have much strenght...I hope the second is better. I'll try to enhance this gesture in a future update. No reference used.

Last edited by Xillion : 07 July 2005 at 01:03 AM. Reason: UPDATES

Old 06 June 2005   #41
Lessons from a master! Wow! Just wow!

Ok, here is my humble sketch. Pushing:

Sorry for my
terrible English.

Sketch everyday

Last edited by augustus : 06 June 2005 at 05:48 PM.

Old 06 June 2005   #42
Hoooha! Sweet stuff going down, cant wait!

Need to go and draw up some stuff for this here thread, cant miss out on this action! Many thanks BTW
Passing good, or eles black lead."

Old 06 June 2005   #43
Hi Rebeccak,

I just checked out the other thread where you and Roberto mentioned getting this Anatomy Review started. It sounds like an interesting project and I'm curious to see the results from the various artists that participate. Hope it all goes well!

Was just curious if in your studies you also happened to get some medical illustration type of anatomy classes? And used actual cadavers for your muscle and bone illustrations? Or were you working from live models and some of the reference books you mentioned?

t

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
- Goethe

Old 06 June 2005   #44
these were if i remember correctly 20-30 second gesture sketches. These are my favorite to do.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UADv...cDMX/Page40.jpg

Old 06 June 2005   #45
Talking

LoTekK, meta 87, remcv8, Layer 01, mmkelly01181, sphere, maranello55, lukx, Adamos, greynite1, zurfer, Queensoul, loocas, Michiel t. B., msatzx, Booyaka, ares623, paperclip, the1st_angel, Arctis, ashrumm, jmBoekestein, neiy0, AdrielaSakamoto, default.rol, InesD!, Xillion, augustus, JarHead, tatiana, and tracer18 ~

Thanks to all of you guys for posting!!! This is much appreciated, I hope you continue to post your work as we continue with this workshop, it will definitely spur each of us to better work!

Also, thank you for such a warm welcome to the CGTalk Website, I am relatively new to the site, but have since become sincerely ADDICTED and am constantly inspired by the amazing work that you guys post here along with many others -- it's truly awesome to be a part of this amazing community! So thank you for giving me the chance to participate

In response to tatiana's question about my background, I have a long history of drawing from the model, drawing from imagination, and yes, drawing from many kinds of reference, including photographs of sculptures, master drawings (my favorite), anatomy reference works, but rarely from photos of models. Photos are for my taste a little too flat, but I love to look at master drawings by the likes of Michelangelo and Rubens especially. With Michelangelo, everything is CLEAR, and Rubens to me makes Michelangelo accessible. Will I ever draw like these guys? Oh, hell no, but you always have to work from the best ~ so they keep me inspired and kick my butt on a regular basis.

With respect to medical anatomy, I consider myself to be a (learning) draughtsman rather than an anatomist per se -- it is a common axiom that an anatomist with all of the anatomy knowledge in the world will not necessarily be able to draw -- drawing is, to me at least, about STRUCTURE and about having knowledge of basic anatomy and important landmarks which enable you to draw the human figure convincingly. I have not dissected a cadaver, but would like to! I'm not sure I could handle the smell, however...so for the time being I will stick to books.

Hope that answers your question...I am greatly looking forward to your posts!

Thanks,
~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread