Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel 003

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Whoops, I managed to vanish from the face of CGTalk for a few months (I blame working 50-hour weeks and also playing World of Warcraft...)

Anyway, this is me messing about as I'm a bit out of practice.

Hand and foot - I don't really know what I'm doing with the light lines, so they're going in all directions a bit

Then I had a very quick go at the face.

09 September 2005
Talking

Kalorlo,

It's great to see you back on the Anatomy Forum! Thanks for posting your work!

Your studies are REALLY lovely...you have a really unique shading style which I think is fantastic ~ I like that these are not over~rendered or over~baked as you could say ~ the sketches really seem to have life! Also, it's great that you've tackled the three most challenging items ~ the head, feet, and hands.

Great work, and I hope to see more of your work on the forum!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Thumbs up avoiding real work

Here's the beginnings of a painting Im working on, Its been a major learning process so far as ive never seriously attempted to render flesh in ps before..It takes ages...! ... but it has given me an excuse to avoid real work and therefore avoid using dreamweaver... hurrah

check it out and let me know what yer recon

09 September 2005
hagarun: that's looking great so far... i especially like the pink touches on the knees/elbows. The head could use some work, but it's better than mine =)

AOAH: good start... i'd try using a harder brush, though. it makes me uncomfortable looking at all those blurry edges.

rebecca: i saw your knee/femur study and i was like "oh crap she's got better values on her study" anyway, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, as there are some definite similarities in the things we've studied and appreciated. that last drawing is beyond repair but i went ahead and attempted the other picture.

+bone

09 September 2005
Talking

AOAH,

Hey, this is a great start! Kudos for leaping into the pool and doing swimmingly...get it? Ok.

The areas which you've worked on the most are working well ~ the face and the chest area being primary among them. I also like how you're approaching the stomach / lower torso area, by keeping things blocky from the start. Proportionally, I think things are looking good, though I think her head and neck could be raised a bit more height wise (select the head and neck area with lasso or path tool, feather selection by maybe 5 pixels, copy merge, paste and move up several pixels) so that she does not look quite so squashed.

You may have seen this brief tutorial, but if not, check out:

TUTORIAL - Digital Figurative Painting from OFDW - by Rebeccak

TUTORIAL - Digital Figure Painting - by Samanthie

My tut goes thru a black and white approach, and Samanthie takes you through a color approach. These are of course not the only ways to go about painting ~ there really is no 'right' way ~ but they can give you some guidance and tips about how to go about using Photoshop to paint.

Also, I think the key here is to simplify the working process by just obliterating the bkgrd as a factor ~ I would fill it in with either black or a mid to dark gray at 100%, and spend the majority of your time correcting and refining the drawing and painting of the figure. The beauty of filling in the bkgrd with a solid shade is that you can easily use it to correct your drawing.

And finally, remember that you can paint both additively and subtractively. Additive painting is where you are using the brush to add successive strokes of lighter or darker 'paint'. Subtractive painting is where you add typically a darker tone over a lighter tone and use the eraser at various opacities to reveal the lighter tone beneath. Additive and subtractive methods can be used successfully together to build form through value.

And that, dear Dreamweaver refugee, is the end of me sermon.

Keep it coming, AOAH!

bonedog,

Great to see you do a new piece! I think this one is MUCH stronger as I'm sure you realize.
The drawing and tonal strokes are much more considered and complete, and I think you've ended up with quite a nice drawing.

The thing I notice is that her head appears a bit too large for her body. If you look at the body while covering the face, everything appears to be in good proportion, and matching style. I think that the face is a bit more labored, and is throwing the drawing off a bit...but believe me, I know the difficulty of working in traditional medium, and there is no such thing as copy and paste there, so I give you a lot of credit for pulling an entire figure off with apparent ease.

I think her upper left arm appears to be too perfectly cylindrical, and her right arm a bit too straight. I still think that curves in the arms and legs must be exaggerated to make them more interesting to look at ~ even when this is not always exactly what the reality is in the photo reference or live model.

I think you've done a fantastic job, and I have to ask you if you are planning to paint this?

It is nice to make your acquaintance, too.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
good work everyone! Keep it up.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

09 September 2005
Can I have some advice please, I suck at joints that why I stopped where I did. I think the upper arms are too short and the shading is uneven.

Thanks

09 September 2005
Hi Rebecca and everyone
This is what I have so far
#1 broad brush strokes just feeling out the figure's gesture with color and light
oil brush - Painter
#2 using the liquid lens brushes -
I pull, compress, carve and generally sculpt the figure
as if it were clay. Trying to get the energy into figure.
Done rapidly to bring the form to life, flow of line, rhythm etc.
#3 starting to refine figure, working from shadow to light,
bringing background color into figure, creating atmosphere.
Paying more attention to color, lighting, shadow etc.
Using spotlight, contrast and just add texture for yellow tint over whole figure
to unify colors, found under 'effects' in Painter.
Well that's it for now.
Hope this information is helpful to someone if only just a little.
Everybody's stuff looks great and seems to be getting better.
Thanks to Rebecca and everyone else for sharing their knowledge.
Team work makes it work for everyone.
Take care
Glenn

09 September 2005
Talking

wow rebeccak.. thanks for that,

nice sermon.... if only our religious leaders could enlighten the minions to such a extent ( I bet jesus never considered using a negative paint layer in photoshop..!, although to be fair to him he was probably only using version 2)

cheers for the tips.. v' usefull info. Im on it

09 September 2005
Smile

Hello, may I participate too?

Here's my sketch, it took about 20 minutes to do. As you can see I ran out of room on my 8x10 sketchbook, so I had to tape on an extension. :P That usually happens with me.

Everyone else's work is very cool, keep it up!

Thanks
=pK=
pixelkeg.com

09 September 2005
Talking

AOAH,

I word: LOL!!!

pixelkeg,

You're more than welcome to join us. Thanks for posting your work!

I think you have a good start here. I think the torso, arms, and head are in good proportion to one another. The legs have grown a bit long ~ look at the torso, arms and heads as a group, and then look at the legs separately, and I think you will see what I mean. You've gotten a nice twist in the pose, and I really like the emphasis you are placing on opposing sides of the figure to give it rhythm.

Do you plan to take this further by painting it, either digitally or traditionally?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Hi Rebeccak,

Thanks for the feedback! It's my day off, so spending some time playing with the image. Thanks for the note about the legs, I hope they look a little better now.

The actual image is much much bigger, about 18x19.3 inches at 300 dpi. Might even go bigger to get more detail in her eye.

Figure:
-Used photoshop to cut and shorten the legs.
-Used the blur brush(and pen tablet) to soften the inside fleshy parts.
-Used the smudge tool to try and clean the lines up, and help refine some anatomy. I'm taking some liberty with it, but it's for fun.

Sky:
-Used a gradient to get the overall tone.
-Used soft and gritty brushes to burn and dodge some clouds.

Wings might be 3D. My wife thinks I should put some clothes or angel armor on her. Might do that.

Edit, sorry. I'm gonna have to read your other tutorials, because getting the color into her skin is gonna be a challenge. Basically what I want is to take the greyscale image and use that layer to define the skin color values. Might try to do layer glazes a la oil painting. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Sergioooooooooooooo

Last edited by pixelkeg : 09 September 2005 at 08:16 PM.

09 September 2005
Talking

pixelkeg,
WOW, great to see you taking this to the next level!

The bkgrd looks great...and 3D wings sound cool, so long as they don't look 3D while the figure looks 2D ~ but that's common sense.

Her right leg still looks rather large for the figure, though by itself, I like the drawing of it a lot. But right now she still has one giant leg and one proportional leg, so you may want to tweak with that ~ up to you.

One thing I would say is too go a bit darker on the figure, as you will quickly run out of value range if you begin too light. At the moment, the highlights are all pretty bright and at the same level of brightness ~ you want to reserve your brightest brights for only a select few areas, so that the figure does not appear to be washed out.

Can't wait to see where this goes! Keep up the great work, and definitely keep posting updates!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 08:19 PM.

09 September 2005
Last one for today, might come back to it tomorrow or the next day. Reading the tutorials, and trying to come up with my own thing. Gotta fix the hands on the wings too.

What will probably happen is I'll print the b&w layer out and draw the new parts freehand,the pen tablet isn't working out. I like it for broad strokes, but for drawing...give me a pencil, you know?

09 September 2005
I've had fun with this...thanks Rebecca for your guidance...do you think it's finished?

pixelkeg, very creative! I like the skin tones and hair against the blue background.

Thread Closed share thread