3D Workshop: Digital Anatomy Sculpture 1! The human hand - With Simon Roth

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Hey glen.

Great to see you back here.

When you are talking about brushes where do you mean?

If your talking about the ones in the tools menu, I could create a tut for the use of them in projection master?

05 May 2006
Hi..Simon....I was wondering if it is posible to use the tools and textures in Z BRUSH, at the same time
that I am in the 3D MODE, WITHOUT having to go out of the 3D mode and do just a section at a time....kind of ruines the momentum that way...having to stop and start all the time.
Would like to be able to just spin it around, so I can work on piece from all different angle's
without having to stop every two seconds...flatten image out, work on it a little, then go back into 3D, spin it to new angle, stop flatten out again...ect. ect.
Does the Z BRUSH program allow for working on peice cotinually with all the tools and textures while in the 3D mode
Also...how do I get my piece back into the 3D mode, once I save it, and shut the program off.

That tut that you mentioned of how to use the tools in projection master, sounds great to me,
that is if you have the time...know you are pretty busy most of the time, but I really could use
the help in understanding this program better.
Just posted my first 3D FACE AND NECK in my anatomy thread...check it out, if you have the time...talk to you later...
TAKE CARE
Glenn

05 May 2006

This took me about 2 hours. Hopefully I will get faster with more experience, I want to try to become a professional modeler even though I'm an animation major. Needs a lot of work but I think it can be made into something nice. I tried the zsphere approach however when I create a zsphere and hit A to preview the geometry I only have half of a sphere displayed! This creates weird looking objects when you link the zspheres.
The current hand I built a simple hand in blender of about 100 or so polys. Than I exported that as an obj file into z-brush.

Last edited by Womball : 05 May 2006 at 02:47 AM.

05 May 2006
Nice contribution Womball, welcome to the thread!

The thickness of the finger perhaps varies too much, but for a beggining in z-brush thats pretty good! Keep going with it.

2 hours isnt half bad for a begginner. Thing is with z-brush is once you get into it the time just flies by.

I promise I'll update this thread more soon guys.

-Simon

05 May 2006

Another 2 hours. THis is a zbrush render using sokar's skin material and lighting. I hope you don't mind, but I mirrored this over at zbrushcentral. Hopefully that wasn't a bad idea. Um I have the original mesh in an obj file. How would I upload that here?

Last edited by Womball : 05 May 2006 at 05:13 AM.

05 May 2006
Hello there;

I saw womball thread in zbc with the link to here, and i was reading through and my only question is, does it need to be a human hand? or can be a breed of a human hand, like for example a creepy human hand with long nasty nails?

05 May 2006

Day 3 slight touch ups, about another 2 hours maybe less. The forms are almost there, I turned off the shader so you could see the forms better. I am going to photograph my hand to create alphas for the tiny wrinkles. I'm finding it to to hard to manually paint, and with project master it would be much easier. The trick with PM is to not paint near the sides of a projection. This will cause annoying projection mistakes that require either smoothing or color corrections which can become complex depending on the area. I use the scale brush so I can scale the wrinkles to fit the hand. I'm using Mahlikas (sic) the Black's lighting. Default lighting obscures a lot of details. I also have a model of the hand I did for class which I built from the bones up. No skin though.

Last edited by Womball : 05 May 2006 at 05:38 PM.

05 May 2006
Thats great man, its really come along since your first image.

The thing that jumps right out at me is strength of the crease in the centre of the hand. Particulary on the top image it looks like the hand is caved-in at the base of the hand and inflated on the right and left of it. Perhaps reduce the amount it sticks out running down from the palm. -hope that makes sense.

But nice work none the less. Keep going!

Simon

05 May 2006
Thought I'd join the fun.

05 May 2006
That looks better than mine! Very nice job! I probably should pose mine it too, then I could model the tendons easier. I was thinking of rigging it, but to get the tendons to work right is just frightening.

Last edited by Womball : 05 May 2006 at 09:08 PM.

05 May 2006
Michor thats fantastic.

You model that 100% z-brush or did you bring in a base mesh? How long did that take?

I like the skin folding below the 5th finger. nice touch.

-Simon

Last edited by 99sproth : 05 May 2006 at 09:16 PM.

05 May 2006
mic,
what a great model!!! It looks very realistic, the bone structure is just awesome, and the flesh deformations are amazing!

05 May 2006
arggg, too much school work..

I need to fix somethings with general structure then im gonna use projectiion master to refine the wrinkles. Made from zspheres

05 May 2006
Originally Posted by Luis Faus: Hello there;

I saw womball thread in zbc with the link to here, and i was reading through and my only question is, does it need to be a human hand? or can be a breed of a human hand, like for example a creepy human hand with long nasty nails?

Hey.

Yeah you can do what you want. Obviously not too OTT, but if its working off a human hand then it will be fine.

Heh.. My reference is pretty creepy.

05 May 2006
Quote: Michor thats fantastic.

You model that 100% z-brush or did you bring in a base mesh? How long did that take?

I like the skin folding below the 5th finger. nice touch.

-Simon

Thanks Simon.

I did the low poly base model in XSI then took it to Zbrush for everything else. It probably took me about 3 hrs to get to this point.

Thread Closed share thread