Open Figure Drawing Workshop - Caravaggio Master Copy / Reference - with Rebeccak 015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2006
zoom in

Last edited by Digital Sol : 04 April 2006 at 09:07 PM.

04 April 2006
Talking

Ellie,

Great to see you back! Thank you for the encouragement!

Enrique,

Thanks for the explanation and the screenshots! I always find that really helpful.

Well, as painful as the comparison is (I've come nowhere close to the perfection of the original ~ even in grayscale!!! ~ here it is:

Mine looks so much better when it's not next to Caravaggio's...

Since I can no longer see this objectively, anyone's comments and criticism is most welcome.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
Talking

OMG I gave everyone a tiny head!

I just overlaid my version overtop of the original ~ and realize that I gave people pinheads ~ every single figure! LOL...the question is...do I have the stamina to fix the poor pinheads...I can only wonder...

Serves me right for not using a grid...

Good for a laugh:

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
If your working with PS, the liquify tool is realy helpful for fixing proportions Rebecca(you probly already knew that tho hehe). Also I like the way you did the central guy even better than the original.

04 April 2006
@Rebecca:
It looks really great, sure, is not the same that caravaggio's, but I think no one will make an exact copy, and in ur own style is great; the only thing i look a little bit strange is the paint over the tablecloth, because it is totally linear, and ur tablecloth have some drappling, but u can fix it with a displacement map or some filters like spherize or liquify, great work over all, if u fix that, 5 stars for me

Last edited by Digital Sol : 04 April 2006 at 02:22 PM.

04 April 2006
Update

Well, some of the food is finished and I tried to follow the glenn's observations about the fruit, hope u like it, and get some feedback, thanks

04 April 2006
Talking

werd,

Thanks for the advice and feedback! I think my image will require major surgery, however, and for that I will need a bit of time to mourn the loss of the previous version's head sizes. Hope you'll join in on the OFDW's one day!

Hey Enrique,

Thanks for the encouragement!

That food is looking good enough to eat! I think if you punch up the highlights on the grapes, they'll really start to pop out at the viewer. Maybe the bottom edge of the basket seems a little too rounded? Apart from these minor quibbles, this is looking fantastic!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
Hey guys, didn't look at everyone's but WOW! This is looking great Rebecca and Digital.

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

04 April 2006
I would like to join one these workshops someday, but right now it would be embarassing for me to try and copy the paintings.

04 April 2006
Hi... Enrique.... .....FANTASTIC JOB ON THE COLOR...

I don't know anything about the program that your using, but sure looks like you do...
The fruit looks great so far to me, can't wait to see the colors.
A good method for doing the highlights, is to really zing or punch them in, right at the end,
same as you would do when you paint the eyes on a human figure or any kind of living figure for that matter....really brings them to life, and gives them that nice wet sparkle, works the
same way on grapes also. I don't know if that goes with your painting method, but
thought it was worth mentioning.
Your painting is turning out to be really ...BEAUTIFUL...I had a feeling it would when I first
saw it, but was not sure, having never seen any of your work before...Quess my hunch was
corect.
Really looking forward to seeing the progress on it....

TAKE CARE
Glenn

04 April 2006
Hi ....Rebecca..... .....Glad to see that you are finding the time to finish this piece, don't
know how you manage it all. Your painting looks great to me, aside from the small errors
that you are already aware of..head sizes ect.....live and learn...LOL!!
I really think that it is time to experiment with some subtle textures....would really look great
in this painting...but just stay away from those filters...if you can....experiment experiment
experiment....ROF AND LOL!!....Sorry, I am weak, and just could not resist that one...

TAKE CARE
Glenn

04 April 2006
Update

Heya everyone.

@Werd:
Come on join the next time, people here are very kind, also this crits will help u for your improvement as artist, and I know that everyone here, will help u, as they helped me.

I saw ur thread, I seemed good for me since u are begginig in this.

Hope to see you soon.

@Glenn.

Thanks a lot, generally I apply the highlights and the darker areas till the end, thanks for the advice, Im really taking them seriously Im using Photoshop CS2, well this is my first participation at the forums I have never posted anything at CGtalk, but I want to become into an active member from now, whenever my ocupattions on the real life let me do it, thanks again, I hope this update like u.

@Aggie93.
Big Thanks.

@Rebecca.
Thanks a lot, well, yeah, my basket is a bit rounded even for me too, I will try to retouch it, and still Im not pleased with the grapes, can u tell me how u see them?, thanks!!!

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Digital Sol : 04 April 2006 at 02:41 PM.

04 April 2006
Talking

Fantastic update, Enrique! I think regarding the grapes, the only thing I might say would be to try adding a bit of black around the outer edges to really make them stand out ~ that plus making the small white specular highlight on each grape a bit brighter will bring them out a bit more. Maybe only really give emphasis to a group at the bottom or top ~

I confess I haven't worked on mine more ~ I'll try to get back to it today, and post an update soon.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

04 April 2006
Hi....Enrique....looking at that food makes me hungry....think that I better go fix some lunch.
TAKE CARE
Glenn

04 April 2006
Talking

@Rebecca.

Thanks, I will try it, I hope u find time for finish ur piece, I like it veery much.

@Glenn.
Hahaha, I better do the same, I havent take my breakfast and is 11,04 am here.
laterz

Thread Closed share thread