Hogwarts Castle landscape - WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2007
Hogwarts Castle landscape - WIP

Latest Update:

Hello,
I've decided to use the model of Hogwarts i have been working on in the WIPs section to create a matte painting of the castle and its landscape. I know its not very original, but I needed a use for the model and I wanted to try another matte painting. Here's how its going so far. The mountain was created in World Machine and rendered in terragen. The castle: Blender.
Small version:

Last edited by jaredr : 11 November 2007 at 04:35 AM.

01 January 2007
Hi yodajared,

The concept is interest... and defiently nice to see a blender model, anyways I'm pretty much new to matte painting so I can't give you many tips... but a really dramatic sky would look cool .

Looking forward to an update,

ZaneV

01 January 2007
Thanks ZaneV

Here's an update: (The current lake is only temporary)

01 January 2007
Here's another update:

01 January 2007
Wow great going yodajared. The painting is coming up nice. The castle model is really cool. Looking forward to see the complete version of the matte painting.

01 January 2007
Hey Jared this is starting to look very nice, very much like a fairy tale . Keep rockin it!

01 January 2007
Hi this is looking good, nice modelling in the castle, here are some issues I see in this image
first it would be nicer if you have some foreground elements, like some rocks over the water, some branches of a tree r something that gives more depth to the whole scene
the mixture clouds you have are not correct, some of them have red sun and the others yellowish sun, and the light direction on each of them are not the same
the water still need lots of work, it look too perfect, I suggest you use reference photo material to see how it should look
I'll be looking forward to see how it goes

01 January 2007
Thanks for the comments.
Jamesfx: I wasn't sure what you meant about the water, but i hadn't added all of the reflections anyways. I still have more work on it though.
Update:

02 February 2007
The colors are really starting to come together. I agree that the water needs work. Especially pay attention to the moments where the water meets land - does it break on rocks, wash ashore, etc.

02 February 2007
Thanks sraymond. I will work on the water/land boundary.

Here is an update. I have imporved the water, as well as other areas.

02 February 2007
yodajared,

Nice word, its really coming together now!

Keep up the good work mate,

ZaneV

02 February 2007
Thanks! Here is a small update. I've finished the background for now (I think). I decided I will add a foreground to give a greater sense of depth and scale. It will be am edge of a shore looking through a few trees.

02 February 2007
I like it alot. I have only two suggestions. More yellow light going from left to right....similar in colour to the cloud on the right. The water should be more reflective near the edges of the shore and falloff coming toward the viewer.

Keep up the good work.

02 February 2007
Jared,

Curious where you got the Hogwarts model or did you say you built it yourself?
It's very nice. Has a lot of great detail and seems very accurate.

02 February 2007
Small update (I took your advice dellis):

marsRover: yes I built the model of hogwarts from scratch. Here are a few pictures showing the detail. Whie it's not 100% done yet, it fairly close. I have a thread in the WIP section with more pics.

Last edited by jaredr : 02 February 2007 at 11:10 PM.

Thread Closed share thread