Matte Painting :: Practice 1 :: 2D Painting ::JOIN NOW

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Hey thanks Vshen

Hi jhuerta, well done. At first the perspective threw me a little, i thought the right side had problems but then i realised the building is maybe going down a hill to the right, which makes sense then I also think it might have been good to balance the use of the original image a little more.

Cheers - Dave.

09 September 2006
Thanks Dave, I agree with you on the perspective issue... it's funny how you don't see it when you're working on it. The man made elements kind of took over the image, I think I would have tucked everything into the scene a little more if I were to do it again. Thanks for the comments!

09 September 2006
Your welcome, though to be honest the persepective kinda works, it seems to be slanting down a hill to the right, i don't think this was intended but it just about pulls off.

Hey great portfolio by the way

09 September 2006
Indian Yard Sale -- My first submission

Hello all -- I'm enjoying seeing your submissions and thought I'd throw in my hat. I really tried to push myself. Complete sky replacement (or close to), foreground elements, color balance tweak, etc. Please give me your critiques. I need the help.

09 September 2006
I love what you have done with that sky. Beautiful painterly aesthetic. even the shape of the mountain looks effective. Nice palette shift aswell..

This may be personal taste. but it would be nice to see patches of cloud shadow across the land..How would the trees directly on our left look if they were in shade?..Surely some tiny puffs of cloud will be floating across the light source. I think i am reacting to the same intensity of light from the snow across the broad.

I'm not sure if the Vase's need criting at this stage, as they look unfinished, but otherwise, im impressed with that BG.

impressive work.

Marley

09 September 2006
Hey nice one mate, nice lighting. I think in parts it seems a little rush and unfinished, perhaps in future projects i think maybe less is more so to speak. I'm no expert in the field though i feel myself when creating a matte painting the director/client wants you to compliment the photography chosen and not replace it.

Nice work, keep on

- Dave.

09 September 2006
Wip

Spent around an hour on Monday night changing the mountian and then decided to erase the fg trees last night...Its still very much a wip. Will hopefully work on the FG today.

10 October 2006
nothing near as good as everyone elses but i wanted to give it a shot. 3-4 hours

10 October 2006
Hi all!
My painting is not so original, and has no many details, but time to work above it a little. I shall be grateful for critics.

DiM's Sketchbook
azamandius.livejournal.com

10 October 2006
Talking

Hey DiM

I think you fell into the same trap i fell into in that everything here is artistically very nice, but not realistically functional..(that sounds harsher than implied)..For instance the first thing i noticed was your building up the back there..(now if thats based on an actual design, just dis-regard me crit ). to me if a decent amount of snow were to fall, that radar and its platform would break under the heavy weight, maybe not initially but over time will definately tell. i feel its not designed for the environment.

secondly, is this a top secret military outfit?...that fence will be keeping nobody out :lol: Judging by how enticing that fence is for me, its a very friendly place to be, yet i look at that building and think hhmm very secretive, if not for the fact that it is where it is, in a snow field in the middle of nowhere, best place to be to execute espionage .

Finally, just a lil nitpick of the design of the gateway. the gates themselves don't seem to be attached to anything (I.E hinges to enable swing etc). Its basically the little things in this picture, which stand out for me as needing improvement..

I'd like to finish by saying, iv'e spent years doing the same thing with my art aswell, so its been neat for me to sit an analyze your picture, i enjoy your piece very much and i hope i haven't stood on anyones foot with my crit :P. (ahhh a good legal disclaimer, marley)

hehehe this thread is great

Marley

Last edited by LightSovereign : 10 October 2006 at 01:33 AM. Reason: pickles

10 October 2006
Shrinking violet: I think maybe you should try to retain more of the original photography in future projects, sometimes a director might go to extreme lengths to get the right location to add their really cool secret militry base to(or whatever it may be) Most of the time they want to retain the location and just inhance it to fit the story. Nice painting work though

anim_ziggy: Good start though i think maybe we would see more highlights poking through the shadows and to the right sides of the building, keep it up

DiM: I agree with the last post, pretty much says all that can be said, though to add to this the perspective seems a little out in places, especially around the gate. Nice painting though, like the post thing in the forground. Try using a harder brush in future projects, i think many people associate snow with softness and automatically approach painting all areas of snow with a soft brush, this can be good sometimes for blending fill areas but when it comes to edges it can produce an effect that looks unrealistically TOO soft

Nice work everyone - Dave

10 October 2006
hey everlite thanks you're too kind :P

10 October 2006
Here's my go at it. I did a snow cabin, something not as grand as everyone else's but it works perfectly. Let me know what you think.

10 October 2006
hey vfxr24 i like vibrance of your colours...i'm no expert either as u saw on my terrible castle one...but i think there's something wrong with the perspective of the cabin especially the roof. If u compare it with the woodshed or whatever that small building is in the distance its completely different And I think that the later one is correct.

10 October 2006
That's a good effort my friend, nice shadows around the fence, though i feel the shadows could be stronger around the main house, shadows tend to be darker the closer they are to the casting object and difuse outwards (with reference to the roof window boxes.)

Scale seems a little off, it's worth trying to imagine how big elements in the current photography would relate to say an average man. I'm guessing that the small trees scattered around in the forground seem to be waist to chest height, while the larger trees in the mid-ground seem around 4-5 times bigger than the average man, around 12-16 feet maybe. And remember the trees in the distance that climb up the mountain are probably similar in size to the mid-ground trees so we can use this as a good reference for scale. (which is where i screwed up :-)

With reference to the house the side seems a little flat and needs more perspective. Nice snow build up around the base

Nice one mate, keep it up, they only get better the more you do

- Dave.

Thread Closed share thread