Matte Painting :: Practice 1 :: 2D Painting ::JOIN NOW

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Originally Posted by jamesvfx: great work gonzale, nice execution, the only thing I would suggest is:
as a matte painter we are painting reality over all ,that means technique and results, the technique you used is accurate for the source photograph but not the result, always think on the elements you are adding what should they cause to the already real enviroment, I mean if you have a magma river in a snowy landscape all snow sorrounding the magma should be already melt and the rock would be discovered, boiling melted snow , and maybe water should be around think of it
great work and welcome to the practice

But still a good painting none-the-less!

09 September 2006
great paintings so far! I hope I have time to participate,great work guys

09 September 2006
Hey guys, some really nice ideas coming through. Just spent a few hours over the last week putting this together. It has a few problems but i guess that's why such projects are so great, we learn from our mistakes Let me know what you think.

I was pushing for something simple and realistic.

Cheers - Dave.

09 September 2006
great work david, I think you just did what's enough for this painting, credible stuff and great painting technique very clean

09 September 2006
Great one David, here's my first try.

Just noticed that I took it a little too far . I'll start again and try less with more detail .

09 September 2006
Hey cheers James, i still find it very difficult to get a true photo realistic look, though i didn't use any photo references for this one which would probably help in future.

- Dave.

09 September 2006
Wow, that's interesting, less of a matte and more like a painting, but still very interesting.

Are they cities to the left?

Last edited by everlite : 09 September 2006 at 09:38 PM.

09 September 2006
Thanx David, yeah thats a huge city-mushroom-structure like the one in the background.

09 September 2006
Wink

Awesome, I'm really impressed with the different concepts coming through now. If anything, it's tought me to stop rushing my brushing (deary me, that sounded silly) and take things more slowly, i look to my piece and its a mess!.

Inlakechh, i love that concept, it has a very ethereal aesthetic and unique perspective, own up who else thought of doing in portrait? .

those powerlines in everlites piece are very impressive (its the perspective of them), believe it or not thats triggered fond memories from my youth, a strange side effect really .

way to go everyone

Marley

09 September 2006
A little WIP. After a couple of hours. Not all that impressive, I know, but i'm inching towards as much realism as possible:

I'll update this image later.

09 September 2006
No that's good, simple and effective, at first i didn't even realise the clouds were removed. The snow 'rails' look a little soft in the foreground perhaps, not quite sure why, hard to say, it's just my brain saying, "a little too soft"! second to that my eyes are say they expect to see something in the distance as they follow the road up, up to what they say? ... Crazy eyes

Continue this and see what happens

- Dave.

09 September 2006
good I agree everlite this is simple and effective , it would be great if you add another man made elements

09 September 2006
Hey guys just noticed this thread, I just wanted to know how long are we allowed to spend time on the image?

Btw nice looking images, Everlite yours is one of my favourites.

09 September 2006
hi George this is just a practice no deadlines here, just upload your image when ever you want, following the rules of course, , welcome I'm looking forward for your entry

09 September 2006
Matte painting practice: "The Fortress" WIP

Thought I'd take a crack at this. Lots of nice efforts in this thread so far! I tried to make the man made elements fit the environment. I forced myself to work without reference photos as an exercise, just to see what I could come up with out of my noggin'. Any crits are welcome. I may noodle on it some more if I get time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fortress1.jpg (91.7 KB, 104 views)

Thread Closed share thread