Matte Painting :: Practice 1 :: 2D Painting ::JOIN NOW

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2006
Question

Hi all

I have a question regarding this thread, .I have only just stumbled across this, I admit i had no idea it was here.. I have already gone on to nearly finish my painting when i discovered "subscribe to this thread" and i thought, well fair enough, i'd better ask before posting
so does one require a subscription to this particular thread to be able to participate?

I am sorry if this comes off as slightly un educated *coff*..

thanks in advance

Marley

09 September 2006
LightSovereign everyone is allowed to upload images here , this is not a challenge or so, it is just for anyone wanting to practice matte painting , so feel free to show us your image

09 September 2006

well here is my image, Its my first attempt at matte painting, thanks very much, jaime. The thing that was very attractive about this practice was that this was straight brushing. I am unfamiliar with using masks and such, so this was a great opportuntity to jump in and see what it is all about..In the end, this is prolly more arty than realistic. I got caught out a few times in the process, usually i don't give things too much thought as to functionality, here i find i have to think things through in greater detail..I found the background easier than the foreground for sure ^^..Regardless, much fun to be had and any chance to challenge the thought process of creating is welcomed

Thanks very much for posting this thread and i look forward to seeing other arts ^^
crits most welcomed

Regards

Marley

09 September 2006
Nice one, LightSovereign!

I have the idea for my image pretty much figured out.
I have done some sketches but will send the image after I'll be hapy with it. It's not easy really.

Keep up

cheers

09 September 2006
nice one LightSovereign vbmenu_register("postmenu_3850108", true); , great concept and execution, you've got the point of this excercise

09 September 2006
Hey jamesvfx any possibilities that you could add a psd with the perspective grids inside? I still got problems with photos to decide where the lines should go. Would be great for us beginners *gg*

09 September 2006
Thumbs up My submission : Milind Kharade : Military Base

Here is my final submission.

and here are the painted areas details.

Thanks

Last edited by chinnha : 09 September 2006 at 07:10 AM.

09 September 2006
Hey, chinnha,

The first thing I noticed is with the round green building on yours, I would work on the windows that have lights in them, they are sort of a flat yellow, i think a little glow in them would look great!

These look really good. I've always been a little hesitent to get into Matte Painting. I think this could be my ticket in. Any pointers?

09 September 2006
I'm afraid I don'thave a grid for linear perspective, I did it just with eye. chinnha GREAT IDEA I like the attention to detail you did in your image, just a few issues, first of all, the green and general colors are too saturated, they would look more photorealistic to the photo if you down the saturation
I don't think you can see an illuminated windowd at this time of day, yellow is a little bit wrong and you would not be able to see the lights croming from inside, the reflection of the total enviroment would make the windows look almost white or blue from the sky , I wouldn add glows in any of the signal lights

09 September 2006
Thanks Jaime,

I just want to add human presence in that what I think is its military base, day time assumed 9am, and because of the closed structure and tiny windows of bldg there would be darkness inside, and the frozen cold need yellow warm light inside.

Outer Flash lights! There I marked circular shape in ice for helicopter landing space. Flash lights are for helicopter up in the sky. I seen these types of airport lights are much brighter so pilot can differ them from other lights. That’s why I made them brighter so they flash out from ice reflections.

I enjoy it!

Waiting for practice-2

09 September 2006
Good jobs! here´s the mine. Not very original but... heheh:

09 September 2006
great work gonzale, nice execution, the only thing I would suggest is:
as a matte painter we are painting reality over all ,that means technique and results, the technique you used is accurate for the source photograph but not the result, always think on the elements you are adding what should they cause to the already real enviroment, I mean if you have a magma river in a snowy landscape all snow sorrounding the magma should be already melt and the rock would be discovered, boiling melted snow , and maybe water should be around think of it
great work and welcome to the practice

09 September 2006
Yep, you´re completely right Jaime

09 September 2006
So here goes mine...

I wanted more cathedral look but painted it without reference, and didn't change it later.
Not a lot of time in this one, but I learned a lot of things. I learned mostly, what I can't do very well, to know what to practice...

I'll do the next one better.

Was nice practice though.

cheers

09 September 2006
Hey guys, nice paintings so far.
Just wanted to say I didn't forget this. Just am out of time these days. Maybe on saturday I'll have the needed time

Thread Closed share thread