Welcome to the Digital Matte Painting forum!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2006   #46
My 1st Matte Painting

Hi everyone,

I wondered when thread like this on CGtalk would be up and running. Now it comes. Great!

I knew what matte painting is a year ago when I 1st visitted Dylan Cole's and Dusso's site. Theirs is nothing, but bloody brilliant. I also have a chance to watch their DVD matte painting and learn heaps.

Here are my 1sr practice I did about 6 months ago, but never received a critics from a professional and I hope to get some here. Thanks you all.

MATTE PAINTING. (somewhere in it still look painterly I know)

ORIGINAL PHOTOGRAPHY.

Old 03 March 2006   #47
Question

Why do you call these images "matte paintings"? I started in the biz when matte paintings were done on glass panels using actual paints. The general assumption is that they were commonly used as a background or foreground addition to a live action film plate.

My question is, should mixing digital paint, 3D, & photography be called "matte painting" at all? The majority of "matte painting" images posted here are simply Photoshop illustrations and were never intended to be composited with other live or animated elements.

Just curious to hear people's take on this. Then we can discuss people calling their illustrations "concept art". ;-)

Old 03 March 2006   #48
I think the so-called name for it now is just the respect for the orginal. It was 1st used by ILM about 20 years ago (if I remember correctly) and for background plate. Shots used it called "painted film". They painted on glass (that why i called "matte"). then the head of the matte painting dept successfully convinced ILM to buy Photoshop in the early 1990s, because it offered so much advantages (combine photos, etc), eventhough photoshop back then was "crap". As time goes by, software has been abused (lol!!) in matte painting as the technology and its enhancement makes it so much easier and joyful to do.

Matte painting is a hero-behind-the-character. It helps enhancing the environment, but cost less than building reallife indoor set and more convienient as you dont have to wait for weather to give desired visual.

Matte painting can be done by based on a photo or from scratch, depending how pro you are; and it can combine with live action plate, eps the 2.5D matte paintings that act as panoramic backplate.

Whatever way you work with your matte, it should turn out photorealisic. It makes a difference to concept art because matte requires photorealism that needs tremendous effort on details while concept art is just to show idea, idead of compositon, color, etc...; so, it can be very paintery, cartoony and unfinished.

Old 03 March 2006   #49
the real matte painting on glass was done way before ILM came around.

Old 03 March 2006   #50
cooollllllll. thx for opening this forum

Old 03 March 2006   #51
richard (cgnetworks_le) : you did and excelent job in that winter scene, it would be great if you could create a new post in the digital matte painting forum root so everybody enjoy this piece

Artbot: you have a great point , actually matte painting now should be called as a digital enviroment art , since it is used to completly create a scenario or a stablishing shot, or partial set extensions as traditional matte painting did in that time, the name is perhaps the long history and tradition , I think actual matte painting is way bigger in art and posibilities ,is not just a matter of putting images together or 3d assets

I completly recomend " the invisible art " a book from mark cotta vaz and craig barron people that really know their bussines and they explain perfectly the transition from traditional to digital.

Old 03 March 2006   #52
cut 'n paste isnt that what we learned in prep school first? ;P
my daily fotos

Old 03 March 2006   #53
I think it's also from the commercial application in film. A lot of the paintings that were done with paint, can now be done quicker with Photoshop. The genre is backdrops for film, but I think people have started using it for the art and it just being dumped into one catagory.

I remember hearing something about ILM going to photoshop for mattes years ago, but from my understanding, members of ILM "created" Photoshop on the Mac for film, blue screen and composition..I could see it spilling over to other department quite easily.

I start with Photoshop on the Mac with version 2. I don't ever remember it not being a killer app. I used it for print, not painting, then for texturing. I only recent started buying Gnomon DVD over the summer. I highly recommend Dylan Coles Matte Painting demonstration.

Last edited by AVTPro : 03 March 2006 at 06:04 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #54
Hi Jaime...are we allowed to post a work-in-progress threads in this fantastic new forum?
This forum is great addition... I hope it grows...

congrats!

Old 03 March 2006   #55
alfred hithcock used matte painting a very long time ago, this techinque had a traditionnal life before the digital age

and i really think it's a great idea to have created this forum, hope there will be a lot of good stuff down here

Old 03 March 2006   #56
Good Idea, plugged.

Old 03 March 2006   #57
Great. Many of us were waiting for something like this for long time. Definitively , mattepainting deserve to be a part of cgtalk. Great for all.

Thanks .

Regards
http://www.digital-hues.com

Old 03 March 2006   #58
I don't even know what a matte painting is. What an embarrasing thing!

My WIP thread
My gallery in Deviantart

Old 03 March 2006   #59
Awsome idea !!! I'm a newbie to the digital matte painting and for now I'm watchin' Dylan Cole's DVD lessons "Landscape" and "Cityscape"...this is simply awsome. I'm not that good at painting, but I am willing to learn some stuff. I hope that in here I will be able to find some answers to questions that may rise in the process of learning. Thanx to everyone who participates in supporting this wonderful idea...big ups and good luck.

Emilio

Old 03 March 2006   #60
well it's about time!

This is an intergral part of most VFX and animation pipelines and i think that it's a cool addition to the site... after the cg portfolio...

reply share thread