Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Professional Photographer
Rockhopper VFX
Peterborough, United Kingdom

Asset Photos?

I have taken lots of reference shots of a power station being ripped apart, is there anywhere on the net I can dump them for others to use?

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
derekjackson
PRO

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Derek Jackson
Visualisation Artist
LSI Architects
Norwich, GB

Flickr? Always a handy resource.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Heyo Richard,

Flickr is one of the best places to drop off your personal photos mostly for free. But Milan and I are thinking of a way to have a huge deposit for everyone to use free somewhere here soon!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 04-05-2014, 01:27 AM   #4
Fanko
Learner

portfolio
Franklin Chan
Concept Artist
London, United%2BKingdom

that would be awesome, finding good reference for matte painting always been a pain...

Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Matte Painting Reference

Dear Richard,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and your continued support of our community. David and I have been looking into compiling a list of links with good resources, as well as creating a photo pool on an online hosting platform, such as http://www.zooomr.com/

However, that site has become a closed group and the most reasonable place seems to be Flickr at the moment. In the early days of this forum, we used to rely on this set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjfram...57605581901392/
but it is most likely time to launch a proper place that will function as our destination for free high res sharing.

A lot of you are skilled photographers and it'll benefit us all to spread that knowledge.

Let's see if we can figure out something.
Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia
I have taken lots of reference shots of a power station being ripped apart, is there anywhere on the net I can dump them for others to use?
Richie

Old 04-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Rockhopper VFX

Yes a matte painting resource or pool of images would be a good idea. Also with future proofing with 4k and 6k productions a lot of current texture sites are going to struggle.

I have looked into resources and funding and may launch a kickstarter project where we can share imagery.

However my web manager and I are in discussions about it still. We do need a hi res source and pool, however it needs management and at cost. Flickr is not responsive enough, CG Textures has it done at the right level. But I am looking for a way to implement a co operative site.

Been looking all week and the solution has not come to hand and the only solution is a bespoke site,

Richie.

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 07-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
seemaschere
www.seemaschere.com

portfolio
Seema Schere
Matte Painter
Mr X Inc
Toronto, Canada

Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia
Yes a matte painting resource or pool of images would be a good idea. Also with future proofing with 4k and 6k productions a lot of current texture sites are going to struggle.

I have looked into resources and funding and may launch a kickstarter project where we can share imagery.

However my web manager and I are in discussions about it still. We do need a hi res source and pool, however it needs management and at cost. Flickr is not responsive enough, CG Textures has it done at the right level. But I am looking for a way to implement a co operative site.

Been looking all week and the solution has not come to hand and the only solution is a bespoke site,

Richie.

This might work
https://www.flickr.com/groups/dmpworld/

But it has gotten more difficult to grab images off of Flickr now

Old 07-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
eyecon
Creating Worlds

portfolio
Eric Dima-ala
Lead Environments / Mattepainter
Digital Domain
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Wow!

Thanks for the resources guys!

This will work really well.

I do hope there is a (in the future perhaps) a site where we can share our images. It would be awesome if we can host Raw files. Selected ones of course and even Brushes or Shapes

Thanks again!
www.ericdmatte.com

Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Ahh that's a pretty great resource Seema!! Nice Ludo/Nick!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
nickmarshallvfx
Expert

portfolio
Nick Marshall
Environment Supervisor
Double Negative
Vancouver, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to nickmarshallvfx
Thanks guys, it's good to hear that our resource pool is getting some use! Seema, to answer your question from the previous thread, all the photos we are sharing are free to use for any commercial or non-commercial work, and we don't ask for any credit or anything, we just want to give back to the community because we can. Also, because other flickr uses can add to our list it means that others who want to help build it up can do so.
Eric, we did want a way to be able to share RAW's but couldn't see anything with the functionality and ease of flickr so we sidelined it. If you know/hear of anything though, give us a heads up
Anyway, enough of the shameless plug from me! Richie, your ref sounds great, its so hard to get ref like that, look forward to seeing it!

Cheers guys!
N

Old 08-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Nick Marshall

Great stuff, Nick.
Thank you.

I also have some R&D time coming up and wanted to get tech to install Clarisse, only to find out they've removed their evaluation option!! Only PLE available now. Can you send me a few links regarding good tutorials to quickly get into the software?

Thank you again. You guys are doing some awesome stuff. Keep it up. The community needs more Nicks and Ludos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmarshallvfx
Thanks guys, it's good to hear that our resource pool is getting some use! Seema, to answer your question from the previous thread, all the photos we are sharing are free to use for any commercial or non-commercial work, and we don't ask for any credit or anything, we just want to give back to the community because we can. Also, because other flickr uses can add to our list it means that others who want to help build it up can do so.
Eric, we did want a way to be able to share RAW's but couldn't see anything with the functionality and ease of flickr so we sidelined it. If you know/hear of anything though, give us a heads up
Anyway, enough of the shameless plug from me! Richie, your ref sounds great, its so hard to get ref like that, look forward to seeing it!

Cheers guys!
N

Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #12
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Rockhopper VFX

Hi, Nick

that reference that I shot, trying to locate at the moment I am on a new cloud computer system, I have at my office a hard drive that I should be able to access by the magic of internet. Seems there are a few bug issues before I can get those assets out so you may have to wait for a little bit

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
nickmarshallvfx
Expert

portfolio
Nick Marshall
Environment Supervisor
Double Negative

Hey Milan. I didn't realise Clarisse had gone to a PLE now, but as far as training material, Isotropix have some great little 5-10 min videos on their youtube page that will give you an overview of the way the Clarisse pipeline works and get your familiar with the interface and some of the basic functionality. I found that was enough to get me started and most of the rest i learned by trial and error and speaking to other users. CMI have some longer tutorials i think, but i've never seen them so i can't comment on their quality. Do you know what the functionality of the PLE is compared to the full version?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Ple

We requested an evaluation copy but were told to use the PLE due to high demand. I've been experimenting with it since last week but am having a heard time squeezing R&D into my schedule these days.
Actually have a lot of questions but I don't want to hijack this thread for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmarshallvfx
Hey Milan. I didn't realise Clarisse had gone to a PLE now, but as far as training material, Isotropix have some great little 5-10 min videos on their youtube page that will give you an overview of the way the Clarisse pipeline works and get your familiar with the interface and some of the basic functionality. I found that was enough to get me started and most of the rest i learned by trial and error and speaking to other users. CMI have some longer tutorials i think, but i've never seen them so i can't comment on their quality. Do you know what the functionality of the PLE is compared to the full version?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
nickmarshallvfx
Expert

portfolio
Nick Marshall
Environment Supervisor
Double Negative

I don't know what the PLE limitations are, and i'm also finding that our custom build at Dneg is a but different from the standard build, but if you have any questions that i might be able to help with i'd be happy to try, either shoot me a message or just open a new thread and i'll try to keep an eye out

N

reply share thread