2013 CG Society Digital Matte Painting Challenge: Winners

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 12 December 2013   #16
It was a fun challenge. I didn't quite see the results of this contest the way the judges did, but I respect their decision and appreciate their feedback. I still like Brian Sola's the best and would have picked his as the winner. I would have liked to place in the top three of course. Hopefully next time I'll get there. Not sure how I could have made my piece more photo realistic. I guess when you stare at the same painting for weeks/months you lose perspective (literally lol) on it.

Speaking of perspective, James lacks it completely. For a long time took me a lot not to respond in an irritable manner. I wanted to tell him to f--- off and instead of spending all this time picking my work (and others) apart making perspective diagrams and "redmarking" it to death -- that would have been better time well spent completing his own work.

I can't stand blowhards/nitpickers/pettiness (putting others work down to influence judges) / and disingenuous behavior (pretending to offer constructive crit when you're just being an a--hole) and I'm so glad you all put him in his place - saving me the trouble of stooping to his level by cursing him out.

Anyhow, I'm glad to have at least been mentioned in the final announcements. However I'd be lying if I made anyone think for one second that I'm not extremely disappointed (kinda discouraged considering I thought mine was photorealistic) right now.

But in all, I thought this was a cool experience and can't wait for the next challenge.

Thanks Milan for putting on the challenge.

Old 02 February 2015   #17
Digital Matte Painting Challenges on CGTalk

Originally Posted by heat1996: It was a fun challenge. I didn't quite see the results of this contest the way the judges did, but I respect their decision and appreciate their feedback. I still like Brian Sola's the best and would have picked his as the winner. I would have liked to place in the top three of course. Hopefully next time I'll get there. Not sure how I could have made my piece more photo realistic. I guess when you stare at the same painting for weeks/months you lose perspective (literally lol) on it.

Speaking of perspective, James lacks it completely. For a long time took me a lot not to respond in an irritable manner. I wanted to tell him to f--- off and instead of spending all this time picking my work (and others) apart making perspective diagrams and "redmarking" it to death -- that would have been better time well spent completing his own work.

I can't stand blowhards/nitpickers/pettiness (putting others work down to influence judges) / and disingenuous behavior (pretending to offer constructive crit when you're just being an a--hole) and I'm so glad you all put him in his place - saving me the trouble of stooping to his level by cursing him out.

Anyhow, I'm glad to have at least been mentioned in the final announcements. However I'd be lying if I made anyone think for one second that I'm not extremely disappointed (kinda discouraged considering I thought mine was photorealistic) right now.

But in all, I thought this was a cool experience and can't wait for the next challenge.

Thanks Milan for putting on the challenge.

After the great participation on this amazing mattepainting contest
the CG Society is now running monthly Digital Matte Painting Challenges on CGTalk
with some awesome prices: http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=370

Make sure to check it out!!

reply share thread