CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist
middlesbrough, United Kingdom

simon went concept work

Here is some concept and pre-vis material Ive been producing for a game development. The main source of inspiration for this project is Mirrors edge, but I would like to try and inject a bit more advanced sci-fi into the environments

Old 11-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

sorry!

hi all, sorry, new to cgsociety, didnt mean to post this thread here! can anyone tell me how to move it?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonwent
hi all, sorry, new to cgsociety, didnt mean to post this thread here! can anyone tell me how to move it?

Hio Simon,

No worries, I moved it into the WIP 2D Illustration/Concept Art forum where it's more focused on this type of art.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

Thanks!

Wow! bailed out by a senior artist at blizzard! I dont know whether to be more embarrassed or excited! thanks!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Femiii
portfolio
femi ajayi
Gresign
london, United Kingdom

Thumbs up

looks good man clear imagery and the reflections are good, i think the lighting also is good especially on the top one...cant wait to see the developments

Old 11-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
RomanHorol
portfolio
roman
kiryat gat, Israel

well done

great job man , i love it and came all the way to login just to tell you that cgsociety posted your picture on their Facebook fan page . so i guess no harm by not knowing where to post it . keep up the good work , i like sic-fi

Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

Thanks guys! Its great to get some positive feedback!! Ha! typical me bumbling my way through the cgsociety forums! bending more towards the mirrors edge theme, we've decided to push the style more towards functionality over super sci-fi, so heres some development on a power facility, taking more consideration from contemporary reference...

Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

When you say advanced sci-fi, do you mean technologically more advanced? What is the premise of the narrative for this game? What are these locations?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

yes, we decided my original concepts were were directed towards a more advanced technological setting than we initially anticipated, so Ive gone back and reassessed the context for the environment by looking at a lot more contemporary reference from sources such as industrial facilities and power plants of today, from which we can establish a starting point and then intergrate the more sci-fi elements. The game centres around a sci-fi piece of machinerey that is integral to the gameplay, but we dont want the context to be in the far flung future, which is why mirrors edge and half life are such great points of reference...

Last edited by simonwent : 11-07-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

contrast!

Im working off 2 different machines, and getting inconsistent contrast and gamma levels from the different monitors, was wondering if anyone could tell me whether the previous image looks washed out, or this one is too dark?

Old 11-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

heres some more exterior and interior wips of the power plant, thinking its gonna be a fusion plant, hence the stacked donut shape of the main facility

Old 11-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #12
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The stairs don't make sense--those giant gaping holes will cause all kinds of accidents as people's feet just fall through them. Was this intentional? If so, what's the reason for having those giant holes?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

crazy stairs

Ha! yes! The crazy strairs! The idea was that there is glass embeded in the frame work, but it hasnt really come through in the concept, I shall have to go back to the drawing board with that one!!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
DeanOyebo
Explorer

portfolio
Dean Oyebo
Bridgwater, United%2BKingdom

I dunno, I could tell it was meant to be glass or some kind of other transparent material. The floor does portray this better than the steps though. I think if you just condensed the floor pattern on to each step it might read more consistently. The bottom corner is also looking a little dark, I'd put some hint of light catching the floor there otherwise it could be mistaken for a hole. The perspective gets a bit wonky near the top of the stairs as well, I'd definitely want to take a look at that personally. You've done a great job with the perspective (a tricky one at that) in the rest of the picture and that kind of spoils it :(

Need to get those forms reading more on the exterior shot, especially on the right side. It's hard to tell what exactly is going on. You've done some nice detailing on the bottom left but the other parts seem a bit forgotten about, poor things. Sorry, perhaps I'm being a bit nit picky. You clearly know what you're doing as far as getting forms to read, as evidenced in your other pics, perhaps that is just how you work. I've just always been told to get the big forms reading first before doing detail. Old habits and all that.

There's certainly a nice cohesion forming, as in "I can imagine that interior inside that exterior", kind of deal. Good stuff

Old 11-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #15
simonwent
portfolio
simon bradley james went
concept artist

Thanks Dean! Dont worry, be as critical as u like, thats why Im posting! Been trying to throw out as many concepts as possible just lately, and sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes to see whats obvious! Will prob pick any I like and polish later, if I get some spare time.... been working on another project as well, its not related to the previous posts so I hope its ok to post here, seems pointless setting up a whole new thread! I wouldnt exactly say this plane is flight worthy, but I wanted to give it lots of character!

Thread Closed share thread