WIP: KREOLA - Joris van Beusekom

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Smile WIP: KREOLA - Joris van Beusekom

Hello there!

I'm a little late to the party, but let's see if I can dance with the rest of you.
Let's warm up by going through the excerpt, and see what ideas I'll get.

"Convey a feeling of the city extending into infinity."
Infinity might mean a lot of drawing, or using trickery. Honestly, I have very little experience with epic scales so I might go and look for some good reference on this.

Two opposing cliff faces above the river, 200m gorge.
This sounds like a great opportunity for verticality (is that a word?). The final image must be 1.78:1 or 2.35:1 though…

"Houses seamlessly carved into the rock."
Petra .

A lively neighborhood, resembling a souq.
If you say souq, I say trading. Now we've established there's a river, so this might mean boats. Which is great, because when I think souq I also think about spices and textiles. I can do something with that.

Flussdorf was created by ancients. This section is upper middle class. The community is multicultural.
Diversity is key. It should have buildings old (ancient) and new, influenced by a variety of different styles.

The settlement is overgrown, significantly hot.
That sounds like a desert oasis, going on the Petra/Souq ideas. But this is also a steampunk story, so that would make steam a precious resource in arid environments. Maybe I can work this into the trade aspect. It would've been nice to know a little bit more about the planet and its societies.

It's also at the brink of war.
With whom? I don't know. But I guess people will see this coming. And Flussdorf's military would probably have some propaganda going on. This can be useful for fleshing things out, or when I run out of ideas for a blank spot on the matte painting.

I've been to Luxemburg city a little while ago, and so far Flussdorf sounds quite like it. Though maybe a little more desert-like.

Okay, that looks good. I'll join in properly next time with some sketches

11 November 2013
A sketch.

I went to the Rijksmuseum in the Netherlands with a friend, and I encountered a painting of the Crypta Neapolitana. It had exactly the feeling I was looking for! Inspiration - I could not think of a better reason to visit a museum

Here’s a first sketch, mostly done in a sketchbook while on a train. I don’t like it very much, as it feels off. Probably because I’ve been trying to fit the plate to my idea, while it should be the other way around.

11 November 2013
When I'm at work.... if I'm given a plate that has a lot of architecture present in it I immediately start by drawing a perspective grid over top of it.
This establishes the angles of any architecture I need to add to the scene ... and more importantly the eyeline.

The perspective of your sketch doesn't match the perspective of the plate. This might be why it feels off to you.

Draw your grids, figure out your eyeline... Once you know where your horizon is you can take a look at other photography, match it to the same horizon and it'll give you a solid basis to paint into and add additional elements.

With what it looks like you're doing composition-wise with a second alley veering off to the left... I'd be going straight to a 3D program to build some geo.
It doesn't even have to be complex geo... just a bunch of primitive rectangular prisms that resemble buildings and a very basic render will give you the perspective you seem to be searching for there.

I like the shapes though... it has the potential to be a strong composition, but for it to be the matte painting-real the perspective needs to start working as soon as possible.

11 November 2013
Unhappy

Originally Posted by kenmccuen: When I'm at work.... if I'm given a plate that has a lot of architecture present in it I immediately start by drawing a perspective grid over top of it.
This establishes the angles of any architecture I need to add to the scene ... and more importantly the eyeline.

The perspective of your sketch doesn't match the perspective of the plate. This might be why it feels off to you.

Draw your grids, figure out your eyeline... Once you know where your horizon is you can take a look at other photography, match it to the same horizon and it'll give you a solid basis to paint into and add additional elements.

With what it looks like you're doing composition-wise with a second alley veering off to the left... I'd be going straight to a 3D program to build some geo.
It doesn't even have to be complex geo... just a bunch of primitive rectangular prisms that resemble buildings and a very basic render will give you the perspective you seem to be searching for there.

I like the shapes though... it has the potential to be a strong composition, but for it to be the matte painting-real the perspective needs to start working as soon as possible.

Thank you Ken, that helped a lot!

I wasn't feeling too well this weekend, so I wasn't able to draw. I fear for the deadline, but let's see how far I can get with the time I've got left!

12 December 2013
Everything is actually fine, however, the perspective of your sketch doesn't match the perspective of the plate. Keep up your nice efforts.

12 December 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread