Old 10-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

WIP - Kreola - Joel Hageman

Hi everyone,

I'd better get going on this. This is one of my first goes, in order to start developing it. I'm working on bringing in more Steampunk elements or character. I think this is looking more Italy or Greece, right now. So far, sort of an awkward composition, with the bridge and river right in the middle. Making the picture wider could help. I'd like to feature a more interesting river. As it is, judging by the buildings on the far side, the cliffs are only around 100 meters, instead of 200, so I'll need to bring the building sizes down by half. I don't know just how balloons like that, in printers' CMY colors, are going to work. I feel Steampunk needs air vehicles, especially here, and Steampunk colors seem to tend toward sepia. I may need to set up a Sketchup comp to get the scale and distances right. But I think some more thumbnails, for a more solid composition, are in order. I like the challenge topic.

Joel

Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

200m

Nice feel! Watch your perspective though.
As for the 200m... don't get your ruler out. Briefs are not that dogmatic. Once I had to conceptualize an interior with 1000 levels. I made it about 200 floors and it was well received. You do have some artistic liberties!
Have fun!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHageman

Hi everyone,

I'd better get going on this. This is one of my first goes, in order to start developing it. I'm working on bringing in more Steampunk elements or character. I think this is looking more Italy or Greece, right now. So far, sort of an awkward composition, with the bridge and river right in the middle. Making the picture wider could help. I'd like to feature a more interesting river. As it is, judging by the buildings on the far side, the cliffs are only around 100 meters, instead of 200, so I'll need to bring the building sizes down by half. I don't know just how balloons like that, in printers' CMY colors, are going to work. I feel Steampunk needs air vehicles, especially here, and Steampunk colors seem to tend toward sepia. I may need to set up a Sketchup comp to get the scale and distances right. But I think some more thumbnails, for a more solid composition, are in order. I like the challenge topic.

Joel

Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

Milan,

Hi. Thanks much. I'll focus on the picture making. I like the story, actually. And I'm following up on references for more ideas. Thanks again for the note. I'll keep developing the matte.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

I'm still trying to figure this out. I want to get stomping on this soon. The plate elements might be a bit small. Not sure. Still working on it.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

Working on getting the feel of the style, more Steampunk.

I'd like to add more airships. Here's an idea for it. Looking a little like an after thought at this point.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Thumbnails

Dear Joel,
All of your thumbnails feel awesome. Congratulations on setting such a nice mood.
However, this approach does slightly worry me in respect to plate integration. Make sure you do not linger too much longer in this stage and progress into more plate related sketching soon. A modest straight forward and well executed high quality mock-up based on the plate is worth more than the most impressive concept art if you can't finish it to a Matte Painting level. We want to see as many final entries as possible in this challenge.

Make sure you have a vision of your final image ready in the back of your head. With working perspective and lighting, if possible.

Best Wishes,
Milan

Quote:
Working on getting the feel of the style, more Steampunk.

I'd like to add more airships. Here's an idea for it. Looking a little like an after thought at this point.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

I appreciate the note. Ill tell you why. Ive been undecided, at this stage, about following through right now. I was about to post something. So your message pretty much contributed to that.

Very good to know about the airships. I probably would have missed that. So thats really great to know about.

Thanks for taking a look. Id better get going on this.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

Hi all,

This is where I am right now. Two concepts here. I prefer the one with more of the plate in it.

I'm planning on converting some of the modern things to more stylistic designs.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
seemaschere
www.seemaschere.com

portfolio
Seema Schere
Matte Painter
Mr X Inc
Toronto, Canada

Yes

Quote:
Hi all,
This is where I am right now. Two concepts here. I prefer the one with more of the plate in it.
I'm planning on converting some of the modern things to more stylistic designs.

Yess

Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
artvandeley
Old crock

portfolio
Torsten Wolber
Freelance Illustrator
Cologne, Germany

Well,..er..No?

This is more or less you would come up with when someone gives you the plate and youre working on it right away. Extend the fg and bg with same style, add a canyon, off you go.

Im missing the fresh and airy mood of your first sketches.
Do you see any way to reintroduce these? Maybe more sky and vivid colors?

Especially your work inspired me a lot !

Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #11
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

Hi,

Thanks so much for the responses.

Seema - I'm glad this seems to be more on track. I was thinking that going back to a more basic design might be more solid. What I'm doing now is working on the geometry for the water level. I was thinking a simple approach might, at least, be a good start.

Torsten - There are things I could work on. Actually, one of the big questions I've had anyway is whether to make the water turn along with the BG buildings in the plate. The brief mentioned the citystretching off into the distance, instead of turning. I don't know what you think of that Seema. But I was thinking I could reduce the plate percentage, add around it, and if I got you right, Torsten, I could stretch the city in the BG and drop the canyon you were talking about in the FG, below the footbridges. Makes sense.

Ithink I could add more color and variety. I'll tell you the sketch in the first post, above, had some images of the Tunisian souks in mind, the hanging pennants and the balloons. And, wow, I'm glad youliked the earlier stuff. Inspiring is always neat So, that's great.

Idon't know. Tell me what you think. I think there's still stuff init I can work on right now. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

I'll focus on some of the practical parts and see where it ends up.

A lot of fun posts about this.

I'll make one soon.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks so much for the responses.

Seema - I'm glad this seems to be more on track. I was thinking that going back to a more basic design might be more solid. What I'm doing now is working on the geometry for the water level. I was thinking a simple approach might, at least, be a good start.

Torsten - There are things I could work on. Actually, one of the big questions I've had anyway is whether to make the water turn along with the BG buildings in the plate. The brief mentioned the citystretching off into the distance, instead of turning. I don't know what you think of that Seema. But I was thinking I could reduce the plate percentage, add around it, and if I got you right, Torsten, I could stretch the city in the BG and drop the canyon you were talking about in the FG, below the footbridges. Makes sense.

Ithink I could add more color and variety. I'll tell you the sketch in the first post, above, had some images of the Tunisian souks in mind, the hanging pennants and the balloons. And, wow, I'm glad youliked the earlier stuff. Inspiring is always neat So, that's great.

Idon't know. Tell me what you think. I think there's still stuff init I can work on right now. I'll keep working on it.

Thanks again.

Hio Joel,

Great scale to this, and really believable lighting on the concept! I could see this going to final soon with the photo real textures being applied on the walls and on the cliffs below. Keep going!!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
JoelHageman
Frequenter
portfolio
Joel Hageman
Spokane, United%2BStates

Hi David,

Thanks. I'd like to see this happen. Right now, it's creaking along a bit. But I'll work on pulling it together soon as possible. I mostly skipped yesterday, for some unknown reason. I'll be working on it tonight, and posting where I am with it. I think this design, if nothing else has some stability. Post in a bit. Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
artvandeley
Old crock

portfolio
Torsten Wolber
Freelance Illustrator
Cologne, Germany

This is straightforward and clear and will surely come along nicely.

You can use this somewhat confusing effect from endless houses to your advantage to either create a...hmm... sinister, almost claustrophobic mood in it.
Or you can emphasize one aspect in the picture like an interesting bridge or a big structure in the background to draw the viewers attention.

Either way, youre well on the way.
Just work on it a little every day and youll be fine.

cheers
torsten

Thread Closed share thread