WIP:Kreola_ Torsten Wolber

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #16
Bryan, youīre welcome. But you did great on that all along!
Love your entry btw, one of my 3 favorites ( always hard to tell whoīs "best"..)
As for the 3D: Donīt go for maya or Max ,i tried ( really), but didnīt get it either. Maybe give Modo or Cinema4D a try. Thatīs more for people like you and me. Doing 3D for 1 1/2 year now and made itself indispensable already. Simply widens your ways to work things out and meet some nasty deadlines. Still glad i just jumped right in back then.

Sue, thanks a lot for mentioning the initial color sketch, which i liked too. Iīll keep that in mind when it comes to texture everything and put color on. Good luck for your entry as well

Today i did some modelling and tried to catch the vibes . Not there yet, was fun though playing around. And i somehow like the way the water-tank turned out.
Please note: Itīs not textured yet, i just threw in some materials.

Cheers
Torsten

Old 10 October 2013   #17
Hello Sir,

So you're the one with the golden winged griffon, or whatever it is. Very steampunky.

Well, talking about inspiration, (scratches head), I haven't checked post dates, but for my second concept design, I definitely had you're design as a reference for level of concept rendering. I was looking at canyon photos too.

So, waiting to see how the final works out.

I remembered reading a post, you were off to do some practice painting. I notice, people go there, all the artists. Do some real plein air.

Old 10 October 2013   #18
Hey James, good to know youīre back. Hope you had a great time.
Thanks for the kind welcome, buddy

Joel, hey, iīm a "sir" already. Now that wasnīt so hard....
Yes,sooner or later apparently all artist will pay this wonderful area around florenz a visit. Always wondered why. Now i know.

Actually, itīs not supposed to be a griffin. More like a hybrid creature, half bird, half man.
Birdpeople so to speak.
I was thinking that there is a legend, that Flussdorf itself was founded by these very creatures, who nestle in the mountains. Well, something like that.
I know itīs not "wise" ( should begin with texturing), but i simply was carried away by sculpting the monument for them. Was too much fun
Donīt even know where to put it. So smart. Well, one step at a time...

Today i will work on more buildings and from monday on i will , come what may, work on those textures. Still have several commissions to work on, but 3 to 4 hours a day should do.

Old 10 October 2013   #19
James, iīm working with zbrush for sculpting and cinema 4d for modeling and lighting.
Works well for me...

Yeah, i agree, itīll be a lot of work. But iīm counting on my over 20 years experience meeting insane deadlines
And keep in mind iīm not doing this entirely 3D.
The 3D version will only be the canvas iīm working on next week in photoshop. A lot of things will be much faster to achieve in Photoshop. It depends, i think.
Had some pretty tough jobs this week but still managed to model and texture the city 3 hours a day. Well, day in Australia, night in Germany.

Anyway, i will post what i got so far tomorrow. Promise .

torsten

Old 10 October 2013   #20
Exceptional work Torsten!

This city illustrations in such a short time, not bad

Maybe I should come over to Cologne and steal some skill...

My thread will join the challenge just for fun tonight

Old 10 October 2013   #21
Urlaub in der Toskana

Hallo Torsten,
Das sieht schonmal sehr gut aus.
Hast du vielleicht ein Update mit allem drum und dran?

Mach weiter so.

Gruss,
Milan

Originally Posted by artvandeley: Akim, thanks for your kind comment.
And James too of course,really looking forward for your final result and enjoying your progress.
( Denmark isnīt far away from here btw..... )

Iīve been to Toscany/Italy for over a week and did pleinairs-Oilpainting. Wonderful experience, a perfect dream. And Firenze (Florence) itself was wonderful inspiration and i did take an awful lot of pictures and textures especially for this contest.

Painting above the city i realized that i want to put more background into the Flussdorf-plate, but had no clue how to do it in a really convincing way ( Weīre talking about photo real, right?)
So i ended up building it in simple 3D yesterday, in order to get the scale, light and perspective right. Will do more 3D-Elements today, working on the overall design and color scheme.
Hm,speaking of which, i donīt see many victorian-black influences anymore.
More like a greek steampunk-Version so to speak. White stone, pale blueish metal , golden brass with dots of color/fabric in it...worn out for seeing better days..something like that.

Cheers

Old 11 November 2013   #22
Hi Milan,
sure, had finally some time to work on this.
Still very rough though.

This is the render i started to work on today.

Then i threw i some textures.
i will continue to work on this tomorrow, especially the kreola street will be first.

Old 11 November 2013   #23
There we go, James! That wasnīt so hard, was it?

But frankly, iīve should have known that for advanced learners like you it would be far to easy. Hereīs the next one, which might be a little tricky......

As for the bridge: Good point, right now i render it out separately including alpha in order to push it around a little bit. I donīt want the river to be covered though...well, weīll see..
Appreciate your feedback, buddy.

Cheers
torsten

Old 11 November 2013   #24
Hi Torsten,

Wow. Pulling that together.

Even a little bit of attitude by me.

Which reads as such:

When you mentioned short deadlines, look at all that.

Well, good work. One of my faves by now. I like that scale, and the rendering.

Mine is, well, some stuff to do. I got pretty stubborn and stuck to the base drawing, once I went for the concept. But I did work in more value on the light side. I'll post in a bit.

Waiting to see how the rest of your image turns out.

Old 11 November 2013   #25
James, damn, youīre too smart. I give up.

Joel, thank you and good luck to you as well.

Well , at least i managed to work on it a little bit every day ( i.e. night) but of course not enough to pull this thing off in time. Therefore i decided to take 4 days off beginning with friday( still have jobs ...), that should do.
O.K. Thatīll have to do.....

This is what i got so far. *cough*

Old 11 November 2013   #26
Torsten....don't you dare give up on it now

Hmmm, "to give up"....what does that mean?
.....nope, doesnīt ring a bell. Have to look it up in the dictionary at some point.

Means: Never. Ever.

Old 11 November 2013   #27
I really like nice steel look in your work. gj

Old 11 November 2013   #28
Hi Torsten,
I really like your current WIP! And I am stunned at the many different starting points you came up with until focussing on what you are working on ATM. It's great to witness such progress!

Greetings from Cologne to Cologne
Kay

Old 11 November 2013   #29
Hey Kay, thanks for dropping by.

Ja, i really think you could hear me shouting out of the window if you listen closely.
This is because i still have a hard time with the plate.
Since i never did a mattepainting i participated inthis challenge to learn something about it.
Well, i did.
Especially how not to do it.
I have to admit i'm doing illustration for to long for a proper mattepainting approach.
Which is : less concept, more texture and references.
But still, thats learning as well, isnt it.

Anyway, even if there still are a million places to work on, i will post the final within the deadline.

cu
Torsten

Old 11 November 2013   #30
Fantastic color variety and design ideas. You nailed the steam punk mood I reckon. Wish you the best with finishing it off to photo real standards. Very promising - my favorite so far

Thread Closed share thread