Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #31
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackdoh
Heyo Eddie,

Great execution of the story of Kreola into matte painting form with your own creativity here. It's one of the best one's I've seen too. Congrats on the WIP of the week, I missed that when I was out to vacation! Definitely worth it. Keep going!

Thanks a lot. I am extremely greatful. I've been working on my 3D elements, and composed them into my shot as of late. I will post my WIP shortly. I just wanted to "stick my head in" the forum real quick to say thanks and to "check in." :-)

Old 10-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #32
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemaschere
Yess
it is a wonderful demonstration of how much depth you can create while leaving the provided plate in tact

Brilliant

Hey Seema,

Thanks a lot. I am still working on things and will post new WIP stuff up shortly. I'm excited and inspired by your feedback.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #33
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Hey there everyone,

Just wanted to post my latest WIP...

[IMG][/IMG]

I've built and worked the 3D elements to my shot...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The render below for some reason caused my Maya to keep crashing so I just painted over the render in photoshop into the scene. It is still not finished yet as it's too "clean" and is still missing quite a few details. But I just wanted to block it in the scene.

Anyhow, here's where I am so far. I will add the railings later as well. There will also be other steampunk/machinery/piping elements through out the piece. I won't go overboard. I just want to even things out a bit. Also, the steam and other effects will be added last.

ps. I couldn't fit all the images in one post so I'll be posting the rest of my renders on a separate post.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #34
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

More renders.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #35
Jonatan-Moonchild
Expert

portfolio
Jonatan Cwiakalski
Wroclaw, Poland

Both (right) thumbs up! One of my two favorite entries .

Regards
Jonatan

Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #36
AkimF
Veteran

portfolio
Akim Fimin
Russia

Fantastic WIP steps, top stuff!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #37
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesColmer
No offence, but I preferred the original sketch much more as it looked more real. These 3D elements and textures look very cartoony to me.

None taken.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatan-Moonchild
Both (right) thumbs up! One of my two favorite entries .

Regards
Jonatan

Thanks a lot Jonatan I appreciate the kudos.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #39
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkimF
Fantastic WIP steps, top stuff!

Thanks Akim. This is a fun challenge isn't it.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #40
gitchas
Think Better Create Best
portfolio
Girish Suryajoies
San%2BFrancisco, United%2BStates

Send a message via MSN to gitchas Send a message via Yahoo to gitchas
Nice work:-) Some what I like your concept than your current WIP. All your 3d elements are great.

Girish

Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
bpsola
Frequenter

portfolio
Bryan Sola
sta. rosa, Philippines

:)

looks good to me

*you need more colors and values grading for the 3d elements to match the plate more and of course some more textures (I assume some 3d elements aren't textured yet). btw you're losing the bounced light effect on the 3d elements

*Be careful not to make things look too perfect because in real world, everything's not perfectly placed according to perspective, so i guess it's okay if some elements don't perfectly go along with other elements. right now they looked perfectly straightened and elements are too visually organized, or what the industry called as "too clean" (not literally clean). sometimes, just a hint of an element is "more" than completely showing the whole element
Tip: To be able to (however) accurately tell the imperfections, imagine how the people
will live in this environment. Their flaws will determine the flaws of the world they
live in.

*and one last thing, i noticed that your 3d elements have lots of greens on them, might as well have some of that greens on the plate too, for a more consistent looking scene. or you can do the other way around, whatever makes you happy. (on the house itself, not just on the roofs)

Hope that helps

Last edited by bpsola : 10-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #42
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsola
looks good to me

*you need more colors and values grading for the 3d elements to match the plate more and of course some more textures (I assume some 3d elements aren't textured yet). btw you're losing the bounced light effect on the 3d elements

*Be careful not to make things look too perfect because in real world, everything's not perfectly placed according to perspective, so i guess it's okay if some elements don't perfectly go along with other elements. right now they looked perfectly straightened and elements are too visually organized, or what the industry called as "too clean" (not literally clean). sometimes, just a hint of an element is "more" than completely showing the whole element
Tip: To be able to (however) accurately tell the imperfections, imagine how the people
will live in this environment. Their flaws will determine the flaws of the world they
live in.

*and one last thing, i noticed that your 3d elements have lots of greens on them, might as well have some of that greens on the plate too, for a more consistent looking scene. or you can do the other way around, whatever makes you happy. (on the house itself, not just on the roofs)

Hope that helps

That definitely helps. Thanks. The 3D elements are bare to save time. I figured it would be quicker for me to just paint over them to fully integrate them into the scene rather than really try to fully texture-match everything from Maya.

I planned to do the steps you mentioned I just wanted to post something since I hadn't posted in a while. I plan to "dirty" it up and add atmosphere/"daily grind" to it which will definitely show once it's done. I totally agree with you regarding a lot of mattes looking "too perfect." I'm a big fan of your piece by the way.

Last edited by heat1996 : 10-23-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #43
seemaschere
www.seemaschere.com

portfolio
Seema Schere
Matte Painter
Mr X Inc
Toronto, Canada

Still top notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by heat1996
Hey there everyone,
Just wanted to post my latest WIP...

The render below for some reason caused my Maya to keep crashing so I just painted over the render in photoshop into the scene. It is still not finished yet as it's too "clean" and is still missing quite a few details. But I just wanted to block it in the scene.
Anyhow, here's where I am so far. I will add the railings later as well. There will also be other steampunk/machinery/piping elements through out the piece. I won't go overboard. I just want to even things out a bit. Also, the steam and other effects will be added last.

ps. I couldn't fit all the images in one post so I'll be posting the rest of my renders on a separate post.

Brilliant 3D elements
Watch out for value/hue/saturation integration when you balance everything in Photoshop
Are you going to paint over your renders to add more detail for realism?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #44
heat1996
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemaschere
Brilliant 3D elements
Watch out for value/hue/saturation integration when you balance everything in Photoshop
Are you going to paint over your renders to add more detail for realism?

Thanks Seema,

I sure will watch out for value/hue/saturation integration as well as paint over the renders. I'll post another WIP at the end of this week. :-)

Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #45
artvandeley
Old crock

portfolio
Torsten Wolber
Freelance Illustrator
Cologne, Germany

Great progress. Wonderful image. Simply love it.

Even if you are not into it, i would recommend to do values and colors right now since they both will have a considerably effect on your composition.
Way more important than any detail you might add.

Thread Closed share thread