WIP: KREOLA - Eddie Smith

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Eddie Smith Kreola concept

This is a very successful interpretation of the brief. Good job on keeping the plate in tact and working within the boundaries of its limitations, while pushing the interest of the environment in such a masterful way. Polish it to a realistic level and you're done. Don't forget to play with the given lighting scenario as well. It is extremely dominant. You are on the right track. Now you need to focus. Maybe try to remove the street and open it up downward instead of adding vehicles. Then you don't spend your time with transportation design and are able to concentrate on painting a styleframe. Plus, there are no roads on Kreola!

Originally Posted by heat1996: Here is a color sketch I painted over the line sketch. I will add more detail to the foreground. As for now I wanted to post the general idea up. I kept the steampunk theme in mind while designing the building elements as well as the bridge. I will also add a couple parked vehicles in the scene as well. I will eventually produce 3D models of majority of the middle-foreground elements. In the meantime this is what the general look will be.

09 September 2013
Wow, love the colours and mood and boy do you work fast! the pylons are nice, and it has a great sense of place,

looking forward to seeing how far you push it,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
Revision

Okay folks,

Here's the latest version of my color sketch. Per Milan's feedback, I took the road out of the painting and extended the city downward. I also added steam to create more atmosphere and give a little life to it. Once I'm ready to start the polish, I will paint the background and part of the middle ground. The rest will be created in Maya (including the railings) although I will leave portions of the original plate till intact. Then I will touch up the entire matte again in Photoshop.

Hope I'm still moving forward in the right direction.

10 October 2013
cracking image, really like this bit shocked at how much detail there is.

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
On the right track

Hey Eddie,
Thumbs up. Keep going!
The image is progressing nicely and you're really giving it your own touch. Furthermore, you seem to be having a solid idea about the path you have chosen technically as well; which sounds promising. Very steamy!!

Kind Regards,
Milan

Originally Posted by heat1996: Okay folks,

Here's the latest version of my color sketch. Per Milan's feedback, I took the road out of the painting and extended the city downward. I also added steam to create more atmosphere and give a little life to it. Once I'm ready to start the polish, I will paint the background and part of the middle ground. The rest will be created in Maya (including the railings) although I will leave portions of the original plate till intact. Then I will touch up the entire matte again in Photoshop.

Hope I'm still moving forward in the right direction.

10 October 2013
Going great on your WIP Eddie, congrats on the WIP pick of the week!! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...elevant_count=1

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

10 October 2013
great work great WIP Keep it up

My Blog

10 October 2013
Just ... wow

I'm really excited to see the final image.

10 October 2013
WIP of the week and well deserved, I am in a hotel room editing and wish I could get on with my image,

Love this incredible scene as well.

Rich

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing how it translates into a final matte painting.

One question, has Milan spoken about what format this is supposed to be in (i.e: 1080, 16:9, 4:3 etc)?

I would have liked to extend the upper part of my frame like yours to show more elements, but I have a wider screen format.

Thanks James.
I don't recall any format specifics. Just visual descriptions so far. I don't think Milan would have a problem with you extending the frame up as long as it visually improves the work.

10 October 2013
Focus WIP

Hey everybody. Thanks a lot for the "WIP of the Week" mention. It's really inspiring.

Here is the latest version of the matte with a final polish on the background and midground elements. I will build the red highlighted buildings/elements in 3D.

Once I've finished the 3D buildings and placed everything properly. I will detail/touch things up and add steam/effectsin photoshop.

10 October 2013
Frequently Asked Questions

Hey guys,
The info should be in the FAQ section of the challenge page:
http://challenge.cgsociety.org/kreola/faq#jumpto

Best Wishes,
Milan

Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Hi Eddie,

Yeah, I couldn't see any direction with that regard either in the brief, so I just assumed cinema format, and went super widescreen, but then I was reading some posts of Milan for another person who had a square format and he said to keep it 16:9 (standard widescreen).

So that's why I'm now extending the sky as you'll see in my thread to keep it in the desired aspect ration. Just thought I would mention it before you go too far and have to widen the shot or crop.

Best
James

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Hi Eddie,

I'm looking forward to seeing the foreground elements of your image when you have something to show. You mentioned you are making them in 3D, and I hope they translate as well as the sketch as I think you've done a really lovely job of the concept.

If I had any criticism at all, it would be that I was wondering about your comment that the background had been finished?

When I look at the full size image I can see unfinished, cut and paste bits all over the place, pieces of sky leftover on top of houses, scribbley lines everywhere, sharp images behind blurry, perspective out of place on buildings etc etc.

Looks great from a distance, but just wondering if you are going to do any more to the background?

It would be a shame otherwise, seeing as how good it looks at this scale. This is actually my favourite design out of the whole lot.

Best
James

Thanks James,

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by heat1996: Hey everybody. Thanks a lot for the "WIP of the Week" mention. It's really inspiring.

Here is the latest version of the matte with a final polish on the background and midground elements. I will build the red highlighted buildings/elements in 3D.

Once I've finished the 3D buildings and placed everything properly. I will detail/touch things up and add steam/effectsin photoshop.

Heyo Eddie,

Great execution of the story of Kreola into matte painting form with your own creativity here. It's one of the best one's I've seen too. Congrats on the WIP of the week, I missed that when I was out to vacation! Definitely worth it. Keep going!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

10 October 2013
Gold star

Originally Posted by Ackdoh: Heyo Eddie,
Great execution of the story of Kreola into matte painting form with your own creativity here. It's one of the best one's I've seen too. Congrats on the WIP of the week, I missed that when I was out to vacation! Definitely worth it. Keep going!

Yess
it is a wonderful demonstration of how much depth you can create while leaving the provided plate in tact

Brilliant

Thread Closed share thread