Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #61
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Professional Photographer
Rockhopper VFX
Peterborough, United Kingdom

Cropped it, problem solved, now for some bad news, I might not finish this.

Not because I am bored or have lack of interest, the last two weeks have been hell for me. I have had the flu and had to work through it. Since recovered however clients are expecting me to work the weekend, and Monday. So time is tight, really tight, I was in Waterloo station in the middle of london working on this sat on the floor. This weekend is the armed forces remembrance festival and I am working at nearly all of them, shooting and processing and sending out to agencies. So I am working on that and little snippets of time that I can get.

Nothing scarier than working on a Macbook pro in a train station at night waiting for a train with drunks falling about and muggers eyeing up your laptop. I am also getting in at 11 at night and up at 0500 in the morning.

So with work I may not meet the deadline. I have a choice, work and eat, or paint and starve. If not on the train I am doing marathon car journeys across the country. So I will go as far as I can and if I dont meet the deadline I dont meet it will still get finished.

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #62
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Rockhopper VFX

its the eye of the tiger, its the thrill of the fight,

13in Macbook Pro, trackpad finger painting, getting some done between paid work,

Cheers James,

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #63
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Rockhopper VFX

A little bit at a time, sat in the car, painting from my passenger seat, back out again soon, just downloaded a ton of imagery from todays shoot. So spent half an hour, cracking on, anyone notice anything shout out, and yes that handrail is disgusting,

If Pixar wants to offer me a job, I have a skill at painting in a car, dont have to worry about office space ha ha. Still have my sense of humour and Rocky Eye of the Tiger is on loop and keeping me company, cheers James,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #64
artvandeley
Old crock

portfolio
Torsten Wolber
Freelance Illustrator
Cologne, Germany

You really crack me up!

Let alone doing a mattepainting with a trackpad.
I think the cg-mattepainting speedwell is yours already.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #65
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Rockhopper VFX

Objects in the rear view mirror look larger than they are, well it would be if it was not as dark, had a go at the railing from hell,

Art thanks mate!

PS my finger is sore,

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #66
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Rockhopper VFX

Concept

Stylesheet,

Just wanted to put a side by side so visitors dont have to scroll through loads of pages,

will work on some more of it tomorrow, just got in and I am beat!

Richie

PS forgot , this is the one with the LUT applied,

@Rockhoppermedia

Last edited by Rockhoppermedia : 11-10-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #67
artvandeley
Old crock

portfolio
Torsten Wolber
Freelance Illustrator
Cologne, Germany

Hey Richard,
i´m sorry you wasn´t able to finish tis in time.

Still and for what it´s worth, your inspiring attitude and your reliability( don´t know the proper word…sry) despite all technical problems was one of the most memorable aspects in this contest for me.

Thanks a million, buddy. Hopefully see you around.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #68
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Rockhopper VFX

James I enjoyed working together on this project. For me there is no ego attached to my art, I show everything warts and all. I have no ego, I learnt to ditch it when I went pro as a photographer. I enjoyed this challenge and no matter how bad the finished image may be, I look the work I did a couple of years ago and cringe. I am proud to have taken part and to have shared that journey with you, Milan and the crazy german Art. In fact you and Art have grown to be really good friends and I rather have that than some prize.

For me matte painting is a holy grail for me I started matte painting many years ago with gouache and scraps of Daler board. I was a rubbish painter, but I enjoyed it and that was all that mattered.

I still get a buzz when I see people that I associate with here on end credits for films and television, not because I know them but more proud that they are continuing the art.

Someone sent me a email last year explaining that some people were looking at my WIP and laughing at my poor attemps, a weaker person would have given in then. Sod them I will be a matte painter wether it takes me 2 years or 20.

But I rather be friends with people that love the art form and respect it.

I think you have produced a awesome piece of art and to me I want to explore it!

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #69
milanschere
www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

2 or 20

Dear Richard,

Thank you very much for your participation and professional demeanor. Your WIP shows that you have a clear idea of what you're after.
As David has mentioned to you a while back before we started this contest, you might want to consider taking 2 steps back in order to properly accelerate on your Matte Painting learning path.
Being a photographer, you certainly will be able to use your already existing talents to implement into your Matte Painting work, such as relying on a keen eye for photo-realism.
The main thing I have noticed in your approach is that you tend to rush ahead in crucial moments, thinking about the finish line already while still developing conceptual ideas.
For your future projects, once you have a successful mock-up, I recommend you to integrate one element at a time in order to match the lighting and photographic quality of each and every layer.
There are lots of exercises you can practice to achieve this. Since you seem to be a very technical artist I recommend you concentrate on value matching first. It sometimes helps doing this on a per channel basis. You must also have a vast photo reference library, I can imagine, but unfortunately not every photograph can be worked into any Matte Painting. It generally helps a lot when the lighting is already similar to that in your plate, or overcast, so you can "paint" in the desired lighting effects.
Unfortunately, the links to your WIP images don't seem to be in tact anymore but since this is an ongoing forum, please feel free to post any of your new work for us to see and comment on. I recommend you take one step at a time right now and maybe demonstrate things like sky-replacements first. Then as a future step you could try and move on to such things as extending a one story building to a 2 story mansion, while respecting the plate. Feel free to make use of your own photographs for this. Once you're confident with all these separate skills we can give you some guidance on what to tackle next on your Matte Painting journey.

Hope you enjoyed this challenge.
It is very impressive to see your motivation with which you pursue your goal of becoming a Matte Painter.

Kind Regards,
Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia
James I enjoyed working together on this project. For me there is no ego attached to my art, I show everything warts and all. I have no ego, I learnt to ditch it when I went pro as a photographer. I enjoyed this challenge and no matter how bad the finished image may be, I look the work I did a couple of years ago and cringe. I am proud to have taken part and to have shared that journey with you, Milan and the crazy german Art. In fact you and Art have grown to be really good friends and I rather have that than some prize.
For me matte painting is a holy grail for me I started matte painting many years ago with gouache and scraps of Daler board. I was a rubbish painter, but I enjoyed it and that was all that mattered.
I still get a buzz when I see people that I associate with here on end credits for films and television, not because I know them but more proud that they are continuing the art.
Someone sent me a email last year explaining that some people were looking at my WIP and laughing at my poor attemps, a weaker person would have given in then. Sod them I will be a matte painter wether it takes me 2 years or 20.
But I rather be friends with people that love the art form and respect it.
I think you have produced a awesome piece of art and to me I want to explore it!

Richie

Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #70
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread