WIP Kreola Richard Cave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #46
Hydroponics

Hello Richard,

You've touched a subject that is actually an important part of the story.
However, due to the nature of this brief and the time constraints of the competition,
I would much rather prefer to see as many final entries for this challenge as possible.
There are lots of great ideas going around the forum but we will need to start seeing some Matte Paintings to be able to guide and judge the contest properly.

Consequently, I am advising you to tackle the clean up and colour/value matching now. The creative process is important but there are only 2 weeks left and the technical execution is going to be a key factor in this task.
Start integrating your elements and defining all areas. Once the lighting is more balanced, most other aspects will fall into place.

Just focus and take it all the way.
Best Wishes,
Milan

Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: Hi, boy doing this whilst working takes it out of you. Managed to get some free time at work to touch up this image. I have tidied up some areas and noted others that need textures, masking and tons of other stuff that needs doing.
Been looking at other mattes on here and to say I am impressed is understating it.
Lots of tidying up not very sexy, will need to apply textures in various areas,
would like to know what Milans view on Hydroponics is wether I can put in planters in some areas.
Areas of concern is the background, trying to get the perspective right and getting a visual clue of the buildings.
I am going to go mad in my sketchbook later, then transfer to the painting. Then my favorite part of the process is the 1 px painting and noodling. There will be one area where I will hand paint my texture, this is a opportunity to paint and learn. Would nt do that on my day job.
Anyhow really enjoying this, the paint does not look much different but there has been significan paint since I last spoke.
Richie

Old 10 October 2013   #47
Yes you are right Milan, if you look at my Diary the two weeks are marked up with the word finish.

Not whinging or whining having to balance this with my day job is a nightmare. However it will be done for the competition close.

Thanks for the support,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 10 October 2013   #48

Latest done at work in my break, and lunch, starting to employ a lot of textures now,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 10 October 2013   #49
Thumbs up

Hi Richard,

I think Milan is right, you need to start working on the image as 1 environment, and start detailing your elements. Tweaking it to the final image will probably take time too. Sorry if it's sounding a bit pushy, but your image is looking promising, and it would be great to see a final output. Keep going!!

Old 10 October 2013   #50
Originally Posted by seemaschere: Hi Richard,

I think Milan is right, you need to start working on the image as 1 environment, and start detailing your elements. Tweaking it to the final image will probably take time too. Sorry if it's sounding a bit pushy, but your image is looking promising, and it would be great to see a final output. Keep going!!

Yes you can be pushy, I dont mind this will be done, and if you get too pushy I will post a picture of me sobbing into a tub of ice cream listening to Celine Dion.

Nah the pair of you are fine, I have a busy week on this and this will be finished, trust me!

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 10 October 2013   #51
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: Yes you can be pushy, I dont mind this will be done, and if you get too pushy I will post a picture of me sobbing into a tub of ice cream listening to Celine Dion.

Nah the pair of you are fine, I have a busy week on this and this will be finished, trust me!

Richie

Celine Dion, great choice!! She has an amazing voice for sure But yeah keep up the texturing, and also a quick note on the bridge below, it's causing a little tangent on the bottom frame, I would bring it up a bit more to alleviate that compositional tension.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 10 October 2013   #52
David, I dont understand what you mean,with regards to the bridge.

Is it the bone rails? height or do you want it moved further back so you can see some the canyon in front?

Honestly trying to figure it out,

Thanks,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 10 October 2013   #53
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: David, I dont understand what you mean,with regards to the bridge.

Is it the bone rails? height or do you want it moved further back so you can see some the canyon in front?

Honestly trying to figure it out,

Thanks,

Richie

Heyo Richie,

Yar the bone rails, as they both point downward right on the frame, maybe make the right side of the bone rails go further to the left, and then the left one going down in the V be less in the frame, so it's not as even, and also raising it up a bit so we can see the connection point. The left side bone rail also, by moving it further to the left (thereby showing less) will make it feel it's connected to the left side more. Right, it looks like it'll be floating out in the crevice according to the perspective.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 10 October 2013   #54
thanks, will work on that, thank you mate!

Makes sense now,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 10 October 2013   #55
Quote: and this will be finished, trust me!

Great news!

Did you hear my sigh of relief on that?
Well, probably not, being too distracted listening to celine dion......

Old 10 October 2013   #56
Integration

Dear Richard,
If you're having trouble integrating your various elements, just take it one thing at a time. Match section by section into the plate to balance it and bring it all into the same world.

Kind Regards,
Milan

Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia:

Latest done at work in my break, and lunch, starting to employ a lot of textures now,

Richie

Old 10 October 2013   #57
Will do looking at it now, thanks for helping out,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11 November 2013   #58
Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Hi Richard,

As there is only about 11 days left, I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism.

The doorway on the right leading to the marketplace is on one angle, but the steps and marketplace is distorted about 40 degrees out of perspective. That market should be running roughly parallel with the bridge.

Do you have a perspective overlay as the top layer? If not, you will find it invaluable to keep things from being out of place. I can't find your perspective point at the moment.

You shouldn't really be worrying about the foreground bone bridge, as the background is not even finished, and in fact I really don't like that element at all, because it is so angular, it just looks wrong to me, plus trying to light it and do the shadows for it would be a nightmare. I'm having enough trouble myself creating a simple handrail and do the lighting and shadows.!

What are the floating rear buildings?

I would uncheck all of the props and dressings layers and forget about them for now. None of them look real at the moment, when placed in your scene.

My suggestion would be to focus on the buildings, finish their surfaces, sides, using photo textures and lighting. Then come back and add all the props and dressings later.

Or alternatively...feel free to ignore me completely!

Best of luck with it.

James

Yep you are right parts of it are awful, wouldnt worry about the props, they are just place holders till I get them sorted out.

Now that bone bridge is going its causing too many problems, and I dont need anymore problems.

Doorway to the right, well totally agree with that with you, could not quite put my finger on it anyhow if you look at my texture map you can see what I have replaced it with. I am going out to shoot reference later this week.

I have had a massive problem this weekend as my Dropbox account is not synching to my work computer. So my latest saved file for this matte painting I can not access anywhere else. I did freak out a littlebit, but I realised I have the base still on my laptop. So what I am doing is making donor layers. I am going to texture and layout on my texture map. Then save that file and then when back at work with just drag and drop those layers onto the proper PSB file.

When my mattes get close to 200mb I always save as a PSB as it is a more stable form than PSD. The only PSD files are used for compositing when groups are flattened out. The texture map is basic on here but I know where I finished on the other matte file.

As for the floating buildings that was not my intention, now for some honesty, that chasm below how the hell do you paint that? seriously its a nightmare, and I now know why no one has done it its impossible!

thanks for the help BTW, just remember nothing on the plate is locked off, and when I post you are probably looking at two revisions ago.

Thanks for all the help James.

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11 November 2013   #59
Many thanks James,

some cracking reference in there, and some lovely ideas, and a lot of useful items,

thank you buddy,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11 November 2013   #60
No not seen the PM mate, my inbox was full, and it would not allow any more PMs

@Rockhoppermedia

Thread Closed share thread