WIP Kreola Richard Cave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
nice

Oh man - that reverse image search tip is sweeeet - didnt know you could drag an image to the search field! - thank you kindly good sir....thou hath saved me many hours :-)

Originally Posted by milanschere: 1. For integration I generally use a channel-based RGB colour matching method with only one curves adjustment layer clip-masked to the layer of the specific element. I picked up this compositing technique when I was still using "Shake" and have transferred it to Photoshop. The reason I always use curves is because I find Levels too limited and I feel that "Levels" doesn't give me enough control. With Curves I can add as many control points as I wish and colour match to a more precise degree. There's an example of this method in my video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpANePtXLtM

2. Try Google reverse image search by dropping an image into the search-by-image field. It will help you find the correct reference, visually similar photographs, higher resolution images and more angles of specific locations.

3. I'll tell David about the gold star for James, when he gets back from his London trip.

10 October 2013
Torsten and Lincoln thanks for the fantastic support, like to see where you guys end up with this painting.

Milan thank you for the reverse search tip, I have tried everything from beach balls to koalas in snorkels, (dont ask) trying to beat it, you cant fantastic tool.

Loving this challenge now, also that video was good, pause take notes, pause take notes,

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
Quote: like to see where you guys end up with this painting.

Yeah...me too

Apart from that: Rock on, rockhopper!!

10 October 2013
Noodling reference into the shot prior to blending and painting, not scared of it now, I know what I need now, just taking the time to get it right. If you are given time take it,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
Plus points

Hello Richie,
It's nice to see that you have left the plate in tact and extended to the side.
I believe you can actually finish this in time and hope to see a final entry from you before the deadline. You should now really concentrate on integration.

Kind Regards,
Milan

Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: Noodling reference into the shot prior to blending and painting, not scared of it now, I know what I need now, just taking the time to get it right. If you are given time take it,

Richie

10 October 2013
Thank you Milan, really want to push this over the finish line. In all the comps I have taken part in this is the most difficult plate that I have experienced.

Love the challenge,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
Final push

Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: Thank you Milan, really want to push this over the finish line. In all the comps I have taken part in this is the most difficult plate that I have experienced.
Love the challenge,
Richie

Hi Richard
The plate is extremely straight forward It dictates perspective and lighting already
if you keep the composition simple you can concentrate on integration of your photo elements
You've done a fantastic job so far

keep it up

Seema

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Yes this is something that I noticed too, there are a lot of concepts but no matte paintings on the forum as yet...maybe they should re-name the competition "Kreola After Earth Concept Art Challenge!"

I've been hoping that one of the judges will remind people that the end product is supposed to be a film quality realistic final frame and not just a concept sketch. I have a heck of a long way to go on mine before I reach that stage.

You're right James! We see some people get a little stuck in the concept art stage, but we do sprinkle in reminders here and there on other people's posts that this is a photo-real matte painting contest and will be judged with that in mind for sure. It can even be simple, invisible, and not have too much flair in it but if it supports the story well enough, it'll be ahead of any concept art out there.

Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: MODERATORS GIVE JAMES COLMER A GOLD STAR
both those images were in my head, and you managed to find reference thank you!

Hehe, he's got the Gold Star for sure, that and the WIP of the week award the other week wahoo!!

As for your WIP Richard, it's looking really cool. Seema pointed out that it's straightforward, and elegantly nice to look at while at it. Now as Milan said, integration and final textures for the photo realism is the next big tackle for this! And that reverse image search IS pretty awesome! Haha learn something new each day too

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

10 October 2013
Thanks Seema, David, James and Milan!

not giving up ! never ever!

this forum is like a second family now and I am enjoying more than ever.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: Thanks Seema, David, James and Milan!

not giving up ! never ever!

this forum is like a second family now and I am enjoying more than ever.

Richie

That's the spirit Richie!! <3

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

10 October 2013
OMG, thanks for the reference shots, also reverse image search is my new best friend,

oh and have fallen in love with Gaudi, I knew of him but his alien style architecture is going to be a big influence,

Richie,

Shush I am painting,

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013

Boy am I grumpy, staying round my folks go to my laptop bag, Wacom Missing, Mouse Missing, so am doing changes with a index finger and my MBP trackpad,

put some more stuff in, I am more laying up than actual painting, (A Wacom helps).

Looked at gaudi work, alien enough for so I have tried to do a pastiche of his work and not sure if it works, its alien, definately alien.

All the fine art bits will be done with Wacom, as the index finger paintbrush has pressure sensitivity ie gets worn out. Nearly 40 and still finger painting,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013

Hi, boy doing this whilst working takes it out of you. Managed to get some free time at work to touch up this image. I have tidied up some areas and noted others that need textures, masking and tons of other stuff that needs doing.

Been looking at other mattes on here and to say I am impressed is understating it.

Lots of tidying up not very sexy, will need to apply textures in various areas,

would like to know what Milans view on Hydroponics is wether I can put in planters in some areas.

Areas of concern is the background, trying to get the perspective right and getting a visual clue of the buildings.

I am going to go mad in my sketchbook later, then transfer to the painting. Then my favorite part of the process is the 1 px painting and noodling. There will be one area where I will hand paint my texture, this is a opportunity to paint and learn. Would nt do that on my day job.

Anyhow really enjoying this, the paint does not look much different but there has been significan paint since I last spoke.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
Rockhopper,donīt worry, this will work, i can see the final image already.

And once again: you donīt have to ask judges ( or anybody in the world in that respect) wether to put plants or ..dunno...noodles in it: if itīs your vision and it feels right, go for it and share your vision with us.

Or like the great philosopher Bob Ross once said:
The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by artvandeley: Rockhopper,donīt worry, this will work, i can see the final image already.

And once again: you donīt have to ask judges ( or anybody in the world in that respect) wether to put plants or ..dunno...noodles in it: if itīs your vision and it feels right, go for it and share your vision with us.

Or like the great philosopher Bob Ross once said:
The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it.

Happy little clouds, as for the noodles, it hasta pasta inspection. Cheers Art, your Avatar just winked at me, never noticed that before, thanks for believing in me buddy.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Thread Closed share thread