WIP Kreola Richard Cave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
Made these last night, a day and night model, it helps break the 2d world and pan and move around. I am approaching this like a set designer looking round the scene in 3d. Sketch up is quick, fast and easy way to check out a scene, though these were rendered using Maxwell 3d.

I am definately using the hexagon motif now, my colours and values were wrong in the last iterations so I have pulled the original plate back over and using that as my palette.

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013
Great looking composition ! Looking forward to seeing how this develops

09 September 2013
Liking the composition ! I want to see some detail already !

09 September 2013
You will just have to wait ha ha!

I am editing a short feature tonight for work, its a charity gig and would iike to finish that, its for soldiers with PTSD who have come back from war. So you will all have to wait till tomorrow for updates.

Thank you all for your kind comments, this comp is a lot of fun. Once I have finished editing this short film there will be tons of updates, also I may need a bit of help on one bit of it,

had a look at everyones efforts there is a a lot of great imagination going on in this forum, its brilliant to be part of it.

Back to FCPX and this short film, which has touched me,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013

not much done at first look, however some progress has been made, my scanner is offline but my sketch book has some ideas in it, so gonna to have to photo that.

bridge move up,

stairs worked on,

props designed,

hieroglyphs done,

design language settled on,

hunting textures and references, fond a photo of a sandstone block cube in the same sunlight, and direction, so now gonna use that for colour tones and values, all this and my day job LOL Off to Denmark this week shooting a product so this week is gonna be lost!!!

Dont worry will catch up

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013

just finding inspiration through texture, also some little file manage tweeks, ie duplicating the file and flattening it, file was at 1.7gb now its 344mb.

Going to work on the steps, as I was at a church and noticed that the steps bow in the middle where they have been worn down.

Looked at all my souk references, did not realise how colourful it is, so I turned the photos into negative trying to get alien colours, wow, what an effect that is,

anyhow got to go as I have to supervise a shoot tomorrow, and need some sleep.

Thanks for watching,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013

Started applying base textures, still having problems with the lower buildings in the canyon, will work that out,

Spending some time finding reference textures, as a certain chap on here many moons ago told me dont paint your own textures,

Going to have to do bits and pieces whilst on break and dinner, tommorrow I fly out to a photoshoot for a client so going to have find time on return,

Hand up time I am struggling on matching values so I can blend images so may need some help from someone with that later. Not too embarrassed to ask for help,

Richie,

UPDATE end of day

@Rockhoppermedia

Last edited by Rockhoppermedia : 10 October 2013 at 11:05 PM.

10 October 2013
Dive-in

Good WIP, Richard. I think you should now start defining things and work on getting this "real" looking.
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia:

Started applying base textures, still having problems with the lower buildings in the canyon, will work that out,

Spending some time finding reference textures, as a certain chap on here many moons ago told me dont paint your own textures,

Going to have to do bits and pieces whilst on break and dinner, tommorrow I fly out to a photoshoot for a client so going to have find time on return,

Hand up time I am struggling on matching values so I can blend images so may need some help from someone with that later. Not too embarrassed to ask for help,

Richie,

UPDATE end of day

10 October 2013
Hi Milan, thanks yes need to work on this some more, stuck in a hotel room in Denmark working with the Danes, just taking the moment to pop back into the forum and reassure that I am back on track with this painting once I get back to the UK.

Also if anyone gets a chance to work with a Danish crew they are incredible!

Richie.

PS, just need some help learn to match value and tone with two different photographs (textures so they blend more effectively) I created an action many years ago and since forgotten how I did it.

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
I flew back last night to the UK, Denmark is a great place and everyone is really friendly. Only regret is missing Legoland. There for work not pleasure, managed a night out in Egsberg got some ideas as well for my matte. Got some insight into town planning, the philosphy of it which will help.

Richie,

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013

bleeehhhhhh one of those stages where I start to struggle, made a card that is on my desk it says make it alien !!

noodling around with ethnic objects, as well bridge is fun, trying hard to find a wall texture for the left side, just struggling also my both my Wacom tablets are locked away, to stop me painting and just to work on texture, foundation composition and spatial conformity.

Seriously have locked away my wacoms,

I was in Denmark and a thought came to me as I was out at night, in a strange town, I instinctively knew where to walk as towns are planned the same, merchants, hostelries are found at a bridging point, and in the centre. The further you leave the centre are houses and less commercial,

here I have a bridge, house to the right will be a merchants, so gonna stock up on paraphenalia in there, human but distorted for a alien audience, also this matte needs some colour. The neon lights in the bridge were inspired by watching blade runner on Itunes. They may not stay, but it is interesting not sure what you guys think.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013

stocking up the trader merchant services, still working on making the lower canyon perspective buildings read well, looking at everyone else WIP, it looks like I am in good company as they too are struggling.

Still looking at the post it note Make it Alien!

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
MODERATORS GIVE JAMES COLMER A GOLD STAR

both those images were in my head, and you managed to find reference thank you!

they are brilliant exactly the kick up the bottom I needed. Thank you so much.

As for Legoland check out the green world in Billund airport amazing! have a good time in Legoland, the Danes are such nice people and its the most relaxing stress free place I have ever been. Sorry we could not meet up but there is always time.

Once again fantastic reference, unbelievable.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

10 October 2013
RGB channel-based colour matching

1. For integration I generally use a channel-based RGB colour matching method with only one curves adjustment layer clip-masked to the layer of the specific element. I picked up this compositing technique when I was still using "Shake" and have transferred it to Photoshop. The reason I always use curves is because I find Levels too limited and I feel that "Levels" doesn't give me enough control. With Curves I can add as many control points as I wish and colour match to a more precise degree. There's an example of this method in my video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpANePtXLtM

2. Try Google reverse image search by dropping an image into the search-by-image field. It will help you find the correct reference, visually similar photographs, higher resolution images and more angles of specific locations.

3. I'll tell David about the gold star for James, when he gets back from his London trip.

Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia:

stocking up the trader merchant services, still working on making the lower canyon perspective buildings read well, looking at everyone else WIP, it looks like I am in good company as they too are struggling.

Still looking at the post it note Make it Alien!

Richie

10 October 2013
Ah, thanks, Milan for reminding me about the reverse search. Totally forgot about that...duh...
Ill also second the "curves over levels"-statement.

Richie, it seems like youre somewhat stuck, correct me if im wrong. Its not about the details ( at least not yet ), its about not losing track of the bigger picture.
I agree with James that your concept is worth taking to the next level of fleshing it out.
So why not keep going , adding details and look where the road is heading? You could start with things you know, that you have a vision about, and maybe the answers will come in the progress.
Either way, thats way more fun then to struggle endlessly with concepts. And were here for fun, right?
And with that, im talking to myself.....

Cheers
art

Thread Closed share thread