WIP Kreola Richard Cave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
WIP Kreola Richard Cave

Hi I am onboard for this competition, as soon as I clear out my picture host website will post some images up for you all soonest.

Richie,

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013

just a loose mess around going down and up, thinking off a carved in rock barrio crossed with a souk. Though need to invent a architectural language so its human but not related to human greco roman culture. hmmm loving the challenge.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013

update, just noodling, anyone else getting dodgy perspective lines from the plate, seem to have 3 vp LOL. The street was not built to code LOL!!

also love to hear your comments,

Richie

Mood boards

@Rockhoppermedia

Last edited by Rockhoppermedia : 09 September 2013 at 08:04 PM.

09 September 2013
Cheers Matt,

like your ideas too, its a tricky plate to work from enjoying this.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia:
just a loose mess around going down and up, thinking off a carved in rock barrio crossed with a souk. Though need to invent a architectural language so its human but not related to human greco roman culture. hmmm loving the challenge.

Richie

Looking good Richie, love the left thirds composition in the latest WIP and the right stairs adds some nice interest and flow to the piece. I could totally see people walking around there on the right in a final composite, but as a matte painting, having it all empty for the characters later on, would be wonderful to see (especially the intricacies and texture detail for the wall there)

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

09 September 2013
Stylesheet

Make sure you know where you're headed
Your stylesheet/moodboard is all over the place
This might slow you down. Usually less is more

Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia:

update, just noodling, anyone else getting dodgy perspective lines from the plate, seem to have 3 vp LOL. The street was not built to code LOL!!

also love to hear your comments,

Richie

Mood boards

09 September 2013
Nice first concept and I see you want to take it even further, I like the new approach, I think it will give more depth and composition to the image, just make sure to blend everything together with attention to detail, don't forget you are pushing the original plate and now you will need to re balance your exposure, so attach to this and this will look great. keep it up !

09 September 2013
Jaime fantastic advice there, thank you will act on that. Seemaschere thanks it does look a lot the mood boards, all the photos have a shape or element that I like to utilise I will not use them verbatim in the matte. Some of the photos are examples of dealing with tight space or structure which helps me problem solve the architecture and design, form and function need to be sorted.

Have not posted an update image as of yet, as not much done yet. In the last four days I have filmed and edited a promo video for a charity so things are going slow. Also been reading up on steam punk. I like the steam punk idea just need to work out how to make it alternate steam punk without reference to contemporary and victorian aesthetics. So if I am right Milan no reference to humanity is allowed. So it has to be a alien steampunk that makes it hard.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, really enjoying this

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013

Just had three major photoshoots on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday lost, and had to shoot a short film on Friday, so had zero time to give this the love it deserves.

So this weekend I am going to push it further. Jumped into my favourite free application for checking perspective. The approach I used worked as I had found 3 VPs in the plate, mediaeval architecture is not to code LOL. So picked the middle of the 3 VPs, Good news its the right one, phew.

Going to work out the architecture, today so that its is not greco roman arabique. Need to find a building style, I have an idea on that. Steampunk jeez Milan how do you do steampunk that does not refer to 19/20th Century design?

So need to invent alien steampunk, architecture, concept, no pressure!

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013

Some noodling on architecture, best thing is this actually reminds me of the souk in Morrocco. Tight streets, loose architecture, like being at the bottom of a canyon, and in the distance the never ending city, getting into the rythmn of this

and hands up time, made a mistake or few on the original sketch, and so pleased sketchup stopped me from going too far.

@Rockhoppermedia

Last edited by Rockhoppermedia : 09 September 2013 at 10:40 AM.

09 September 2013

ooh this is getting exciting!!

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013
the last comp there is looking awesome! I really like where its heading with the area on the right and how that leads into the canyon. Nice one!

09 September 2013
Thank you Jonah,

Where I am at the moment, dont panic just blocking in elements, looks a mess, just trying out the foundation design, I have found a alien shape which I think fits, this comp is just 1 of 2 that I am doing to see if it reads correctly,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

09 September 2013

Hi, slow morning here in the UK, progress so far, worked out several things last night. For a city to run, you need trade, communications, a central nodal point of commerce and places to live. I am working on the souk concept something I noticed in the souk was the ground floor was the shop and the living areas were upstairs, the front was also the stock room. Out front you had two greeters on the corner of the shop. One caught potential customers from one side of the alley the other did the opposite direction. Here in the canyon its different.

Outside the shops, will be rope and baskets, so that the baskets can be sent vertically Carrying goods to people in the tiers. The bridges would be used to move the baskets from one side to another like a matrix (building a2 left to building a7 right) Commerce concept solved.

Communication, a variation of the semaphore, large glass spheres in a line a variation of signals can be sent down the canyon. Communication solved

Steam will power the artesian screws that pump water around the tiers. Fresh water courses above the canyon will be harnessed by the richest merchants. Below downriver (the stinks) would be the poor, and the water will be polluted by those above. They remove the sediment for the farms and gardens above. It is a arid environment of course.

In the tradition of steam powered devices, there may be lifts (elevators) that move people around. As for transport, not quite sure on that been toying with balloons that are piloted with pilots that have long poles. I was on a canal yesterday watching a barge being pushed by a bargeman with a long pole to manoeuvre it into place.

I have to solve the above so that any outsider can see and answer there own questions.

Oh forgot to mention, the above renders. I need to make it alien, with graphics and carvings, so did a abstract doodle as a panel and put it into the matte to see how carved graphics would look. For the actual matte will use more designed panels inset into the structure. Also the uniformity of this would be the humble hexagon. Hexagonal pots, entrances and motifs. This reminds me of a hive and what would be most appropriate in a hive.

Working through this slowly and methodically.

@Rockhoppermedia

Thread Closed share thread