CGChallenge Digital Matte Painting 2013: Kreola!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #46
reviews

Hello David, hows going...

I don't mean to be anxious, and i know that the challenge is having a lot of submissions/threads...
But it's been 1 week since i've posted mine sketch, and i still have not received any feedback from the judges for keep going or start over.

I know my plate is a little bit far from the camera now, but i'm painting in 7k which can provide enough resolution for a moving shot from the balcony to my final position... beside that this is a stablishing shot....
well, anyway, i'm still waiting for a feedback

abraço

norberto

Old 09 September 2013   #47
Red face Nice challenge!!

Woa!! so pretty nice challenge!! I have a doubt now...
does concept sketches are considered as part of the WIP ?

Old 09 September 2013   #48
Originally Posted by norbertoidiart: Hello David, hows going...

I don't mean to be anxious, and i know that the challenge is having a lot of submissions/threads...
But it's been 1 week since i've posted mine sketch, and i still have not received any feedback from the judges for keep going or start over.

I know my plate is a little bit far from the camera now, but i'm painting in 7k which can provide enough resolution for a moving shot from the balcony to my final position... beside that this is a stablishing shot....

abraço

norberto

Hi Norberto,

Yes, please keep in mind, we can't get to all of the submissions, and a lot of it has to be self directed, as this isn't a workshop. But we'll give feedback when we can, and of course, if you're really off course, or doing something really cool. If we don't comment though, please don't take it the wrong way. Also, it looks like in your thread you've got a couple of responses already, and haven't done any iterations on the concept. Ken's response to your thread is really good, as he is a fantastic professional artist! Follow some of those steps, and keep iterating if you haven't gotten a solid idea yet to support Kreola's story.

If you have another concern about this, you can just write it in your own thread, as this thread is just for general support for everyone, not one particular person or thread.

Good luck!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Last edited by Ackdoh : 09 September 2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added quote

Old 09 September 2013   #49
concept WIP

Originally Posted by Leuso: Woa!! so pretty nice challenge!! I have a doubt now...
does concept sketches are considered as part of the WIP ?

Hola Leuso

Concepts can be considered as WIP
but it doesn't have to be.

It depends on your methodology

Old 09 September 2013   #50
Norberto

Dear Norberto,

Thank you very much for your post and for voicing your concern. I
believe we should also thank Ballistic Media and the CG Society here
on CG Talk for hosting this Matte Painting challenge. Especially me,
who has been given the chance to see my very own brief come to life
from my personal project that is extremely dear to my heart. Only two
weeks into the project we already have 25 active threads and the
participation is increasingly getting better.
The judges, including David and myself, check each and every thread
regularly and also receive e-mail notifications regarding every single
post on the forum.

We unfortunately are unable to reply to all posts straight away due to work constraints and time zones!
The CG Talk DMP forum is a wonderful community consisting of artists of all level, who give helpful feedback to the paintings being posted.
In general, not receiving a comment can be a good indication to keep going until somebody tells you
otherwise. In your case you have received great feedback from other
professional DMPs who have worked on such amazing titles as Game of Thrones.

We encourage you to address those notes and re-submit your next WIP.
Often times it is very difficult to judge early thumbnail sketches and
it might even help to refine it, and share new images.

You have been one of the most active members on our forum this year
and we encourage you to keep that up but Matte Painting is a series of
decision making and sometimes you need to take a few bold steps to realize if you're
headed the right way with your work or not.

We truly hope you're enjoying the challenge and are looking forward to
seeing more of your WIP but ask you to please be patient with us
because we're working really hard to make this challenge a great one!

Thank you again for all your support and trust in us.

Kind Regards,
Milan

Originally Posted by norbertoidiart: Hello David, hows going...
abraço
norberto

Old 09 September 2013   #51
DMP Challenge

Hi Milan,

Count me in. I just found out about this matte painting challenge. Ballistic Publishing are based here in my home town of Adelaide, so I guess I'd better do a good job!

Just a quick question, can we create a dedicated WIP blog and post the link to it here, or do we just upload it all to this blog?

Best
James Colmer
www.ianjamescolmer.net

Last edited by JamesColmer : 09 September 2013 at 11:56 PM. Reason: additions

Old 09 September 2013   #52
Originally Posted by JamesColmer: Hi Milan,

Count me in. I just found out about this matte painting challenge. Ballistic Publishing are based here in my home town of Adelaide, so I guess I'd better do a good job!

Just a quick question, can we create a dedicated WIP blog and post the link to it here, or do we just upload it all to this blog?

Best
James Colmer
www.ianjamescolmer.net

Hi James,

Welcome aboard! Some great work you have there. Yes please create a new thread in the main forum here: http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=196 and then call it "WIP: Kreola - (your name)" Thanks!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 10 October 2013   #53
Smile

Can't wait to start sounds interesting and awesome , got many ideas already this is going to be great.

Can't wait to see what others will come out with as well.

Old 10 October 2013   #54
Smile Let's do this~

This looks like an awesome project to do, and I'll love to take part to create this far out scene~

It's going to be interesting at what everyone comes up with~!

Old 10 October 2013   #55
Smile Just started

Hi David and fellow artistes
i'm buzzing with excitement for this challenge. This is my first time doing this type of project and hope it all works out well.

Old 10 October 2013   #56
just starting

sounds exciting!cant wait to get started!!!

Old 10 October 2013   #57
Talking Fresh Meat

Cant wait to sink my teeth into this project! look to be a good challenge seeing as i'm very new to matt painting

Old 10 October 2013   #58
Photo-realistic Matte Painting requirements

As some of you have been pointing this out in various threads across the DMP forum, I wanted to emphasize it here one more time. The goal of the DMP challenge should be a production quality photo-realistic Matte Painting as your final entry. Since there is still enough time it is no problem to concentrate on your design sketches first but keep in mind that this is not a concept art competition. I wish you all fun with the brief and hope to see every single person in the competition enter a final submission within the given time frame.

Thank you.
Milan

Old 10 October 2013   #59
Attaching problems

Hi, I'm having trouble attaching my WIP to the thread. I couldn't find any clear instructions on it anywhere, so could someone please tell me how it's done? I just can't figure out how it's supposed to be attached.

Old 10 October 2013   #60
Size / format

I have a question concerning size / format for final image. I hope it doesn't prove that something's wrong with my head but I'm a bit confused about that.

At the start there was information (in this thread or in FAQ - I don't remember): "landscape - 4069 pixels wide. Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 or 2.35:1.". Now FAQ says: "landscape - 1920x1080 pixels" and in first post of this thread is "1920x1080p, in a standard aspect ratio of 1.78:1 or 2.35:1". By the way - Terms & Conditions says "landscape - 2560 x 1600 pixels, portrait - 1600 x 2560 pixels" (it's probably from another contest ).

I've started from 1.78:1 (4069 pixels wide for my working file) but in second WIP I've decided to change aspect ratio to 2.35:1 (with black up/down cuts). Is it still OK, or should I change it to 1.78:1 without any cuts - there's still time.

Thank you in advance for the answer.
Regards
Jonatan

Thread Closed share thread