www.milanschere.com

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Milan Schere
Senior Matte Painter
Mr. X Inc.
Toronto, Canada

Pov

Even though this is somewhat open to your own interpretation, it is not a POV in my opinion. It is supposed to be more of an establishing shot of the neighbourhood. Don't over-think it though. Judging from your WIP, you're on the right track. Keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia
Hi Norbertoidiart,

one day I will find out what your name means lol, I too have the perspective issue, do you know what I did?

Drew Perspective lines out to a vp. I had 3 vp in the end, found the Horizon line. Then went in and drew a VP on the exact middle. Working of that and seems to be fine.

Its not the right way to do it.

Also a question for Milan, are we seeing the POV of the main character, or is the balcony in th matte stupid question it may sound. But dont want to make a mistake!

Thanks loving this,

Richie

Old 09-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
Rockhoppermedia
Rockhopper VFX

portfolio
Richard Cave
Professional Photographer
Rockhopper VFX
Peterborough, United Kingdom

Thank you Milan,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

At the end of each week (Friday), we'll be picking the top WIP thread and highlighting that in the social network of CGSociety as well. So great exposure to the masses if you get picked, and congrats in advanced for this ongoing challenge with some awesome work already!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
seemaschere
www.seemaschere.com

portfolio
Seema Schere
Matte Painter
Mr X Inc
Toronto, Canada

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/kreola/view_entries#jumpto

Hello David. Could you please specify the submission section on the actual challenge page in more detail? http://challenge.cgsociety.org/kreo..._entries#jumpto
Currently it is confusing. What exactly should be posted under the "entry" category?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Thanks Seema, yes it's still a bit confusing, we're still trying to change the main Kreola page to reflect this...but the goal is final submissions are for the main Kreola website with the entry button, and then the WIP's all go here in this DMP forum.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #36
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Thanks to Rhys, our admin, the Kreola website has been updated to be more clear! This has been amended:

I have updated the rules to help explain:

Use your real name.
Please post WIP and document your steps on the Digital Matte Painting Forums. (Please note that WIPs are an integral part of the challenge, and your contributions will be taken into account during the Judging process). Judges will be checking regularly and answering questions. This is an organic challenge, meaning if you have further questions feel free to interact. We encourage you to communicate your thoughts and ideas openly.
Submit your final entry to the challenge using the "UPLOAD ENTRY" button

And FAQ:

To join the challenge, you need to be a registered CGTalk Member (it's free). Go to the challenge webpage and click the green "JOIN CHALLENGE" button to enter. Once you have agreed to the terms and conditions the join button will change to a yellow "UPLOAD ENTRY" button, allowing you to submit your final image.
For support, community, and critique on WIP during the challenge, please post in the Digital Matte Painting Forums

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #37
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

I'm a bit curious about matte painting in general. Would it be too much to ask if you guys could tell me how much time you normally have in a production, to create a complete painting? I'm just asking since the challenge runs two months and I'd like to get a feeling for deadlines.

Thanks,
Soenke

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #38
seemaschere
www.seemaschere.com

portfolio
Seema Schere
Matte Painter
Mr X Inc
Toronto, Canada

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=165&t=1122801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordan
I'm a bit curious about matte painting in general. Would it be too much to ask if you guys could tell me how much time you normally have in a production, to create a complete painting? I'm just asking since the challenge runs two months and I'd like to get a feeling for deadlines.

Thanks,
Soenke

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=165&t=1122801

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanschere
Those are two very good questions, Ivan.

The bid time for a Matte Painting depends on the complexity of the shot.
Usually, the Matte Painter advises production how long a particular task should take. Working in a professional realm you have to be able to estimate a quote of how long something will take you.

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/kreola

I have written a brief for the
CG Talk Matte Painting challenge and provided a rough background draft to understand the mood of the shot. I would expect to see a first concept after 12-14h.
You would then receive notes and the turnaround for each set of feedback would be around 8h, which is one day of work. The number of rounds will depend on your supervisor's vision, as well as your proficiency.
On this CG Talk project, I would advise not diving into the final Matte Painting stage without at least 3 revisions. When working for a client I recommend trying to keep a visual balance
so that if you're asked to show a work in progress everything is at the same level. Try not to waste too much time polishing individual areas until everything is in place and well balanced.
The photo-realistic Matte Painting will take, depending on your technical and artistic skills, between 2 to 4 days (16-32h). The more frequently you present WIP during this process, the less time you will waste exploring wrong avenues.

Finally, depending on the schedule and how much time there's left in your original bid, there will be
another few rounds of notes with a 4-8h interval, of course depending on the nature of the notes, until your Matte Painting looks amazing or production runs out of time.

Ultimately, the client has to be happy with your product, and if they love it after the first client review session, you'll either get
another 3-6h to clean it up and add some final tweaks or you simply move on to the next shot. In the case of the
CG Talk Matte Painting challenge, Michael, Jaime, David, Damien and I are your creative leads, supervisors and clients.
To create a successful styleframe that will live up to the expectations it will take a DMP anywhere between 32-80h of serious work.

When I'm mentoring a Matte Painting apprentice or Junior Matte Painter, these are the expectations I'd have but I'll usually alter these guidelines based on individual levels of experience or knowledge/abilities.

It is also important to mention that within a studio environment it is important not to get attached to shots personally. You might have been working on a DMP for 2 weeks and by the time the client review notes come in you could be assigned to another big shot that requires all your attention. In that case another DMP Artist would pick up your work and address the notes. This can be quite nice, as the painting will receive a fresh pair of eyes and the next person working on it will bring a piece of their own vision to the image. This also means your working files have to be extremely clean and easily understandable by others.
In other cases due to various reasons the time frame might be so tight that one shot has to be divided into sub-tasks and areas, where multiple painters are working on one matte simultaneously in order to get the job done on time.

I hope this answers your first question in enough detail.

As for moving back to Canada, it depends on your preferences. Some VFX artists
move around the world, trying to be involved with the projects they personally prefer to be working on. Others are more loyal to
specific studios due to unique working conditions.
My wife and I realized London was not the best place for raising children and wanted to re-locate to somewhere we would feel comfortable enough to start a family.
We've done a fair amount of moving as well and so far Toronto has been our favourite place we ever lived in.
Mr. X helped us settle in and it has been a great experience being here since the first day we arrived.

Traveling can become a large part of your life if you're in the movie industry, so I recommend anyone to embrace the possibilities that come with working in
film, until you get too sick of living out of a suitcase and need to halt for a while.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Milan

Old 09-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #39
duckiez19
portfolio
Stephanie Kwok
Matte Painter
Stargate Studios
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to duckiez19 Send a message via MSN to duckiez19
Hello,

Just curious (and not at all saying that I would win)...but can the winners choose other Ballistic books for prizes? Just for example, I will have all 3 MP books when the 3rd one arrives, so I don't really need extra copies of all 3.

Thanks!
Steph

Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #40
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckiez19
Hello,

Just curious (and not at all saying that I would win)...but can the winners choose other Ballistic books for prizes? Just for example, I will have all 3 MP books when the 3rd one arrives, so I don't really need extra copies of all 3.

Thanks!
Steph

Hio Stephanie,

I'll look into that for you ^^

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #41
Zordan
portfolio
Soenke Maeter
Bonn, Germany

Thanks seemaschere for pointing the way, fantastic read!

Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #42
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckiez19
Hello,

Thanks!
Steph

Hio Steph,

Just got word from above that you can indeed switch out the books should you already have them, excluding the limited and special edition books though. So just the slipcases!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #43
duckiez19
portfolio
Stephanie Kwok
Matte Painter
Stargate Studios
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via AIM to duckiez19 Send a message via MSN to duckiez19
That's cool! Thanks for finding out

Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #44
Pixelschumi
Trial&Error-Artist

portfolio
Christian Schumann
Senior Web developer
innochange GmbH
Plauen, Germany

Hey guys,

I have a question about the matte painting techniques. Perhaps it's stupid, but I'm not sure about this.

Are there any limitations about the techniques we use? I've seen, a lot of you use "traditional" digital painting as basis. Perhaps just for concept work or also for the final image. But, are we allowed to use 3D set extensions?

regards
Christian

Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #45
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelschumi
Hey guys,

I have a question about the matte painting techniques. Perhaps it's stupid, but I'm not sure about this.

Are there any limitations about the techniques we use? I've seen, a lot of you use "traditional" digital painting as basis. Perhaps just for concept work or also for the final image. But, are we allowed to use 3D set extensions?

regards
Christian

Hio Christian,

Great question!! In the world of digital matte painting as it stands, there isn't really one "traditional" way to approach it. It's everything you can do to make it realistic, and to make it be a set for your world to live in, and your characters to live in. You can use any combination of:

- Photo textures
- 3D
- Digital Painting
- Miniatures
- Manipulation of any of the above to integrate it into your plate

These will let you achieve the look you need for a digital matte painting. The key is "photo realistic" and "supporting the story" while keeping it a clean plate for this competition.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Thread Closed share thread