CGChallenge Digital Matte Painting 2013: Kreola!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasThomas
These are my first posts, so they have to be moderated first. I didn't see Milans answers while I was typing my questions, so some of my questions may be irrelevant by the time they appear.

Hio Jonas,

I just validated your initial posts, and some questions may still be relevant but we'll try to answer them as best as possible even after Milan's answers. We'll see them post here soon!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 09 September 2013   #17
Rirei is a girl.

Thank you, Mariana.
Under the "instructions" section, it currently displays an excerpt from the Kreola script, which I provided as background information, instead of the actual brief that I wrote for the challenge. This seems to be confusing for participants, and we are working on fixing this but David and I are only moderators and not involved with the layout or other technical aspects of the platform. Please accept our apologies for the confusion once again. We hope to have it sorted shortly in order to make it as clear as possible for everyone. My script excerpt is additional information and not the actual instruction. It was meant to be extra help but you should just keep it somewhere in the back of your head, when you think of how this shot will turn out once comp is done with it, after you hand it of. We only want to see the image that you would hand over to the compositing department.
Let us know if this clears up things. Hope it's enough to go on and get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortizalbo
At first I was doubtful because of what the other members just said, the plate is completely different from the inspirational images. But then I noticed that is the point, I mean, we'll be matte painting it. So our creativity will be seen.

Still other doubts remain like how to get the "...unique ambiance with all the noise, smell and busy buzzing about..." but we're not allowed to put any animation elements, and then there's this Rirei person, what to do with him? I'm thinking the instructions are not instructions as well but instead a description of a moment, where we have to take out all elements but the plain matte, Am I right? So Rirei will never be really there.

Sorry bout all the doubts but I'm trying to get this right before starting the project.
Thanks a lot and good luck to all members!

Old 09 September 2013   #18
Quote:
Hi,

I am also very interested in this challenge. I think it is a great opportunity.

Maybe it has something to do with the level of my English, but I find the brief and the instructions also a bit confusing. I have a couple of questions:

1. The brief states: "Create a locked-off establishing matte". Maybe this is a stupid question, but I have no idea what this means. Especialy the "locked-off" part.

Basically a shot that doesn't move, a still shot with no camera move on it. We just want a nice establishing shot to show the world the characters will live in.

Quote:
2. Then it says: "Treat the matte as a clean-plate without animation elements." Again probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by "a clean-plate" and "without animation elements"?

A clean plate is a background element in a shot that doesn't have any people or characters in it, just the environment, be it buildings, the sky, and landscape, but no animation elements like fires, water, smoke, etc.

Quote:
3. Is the "kreola.jpg" Tunesia-like street, the plate we have to use to start with? It seems to contradict with the instructions and the inspirational images. We have to retain as much as possible from the original plate, but it seems like there is not much space left in this street to add things... Maybe this is part of the challenge, but I would like to be sure.

Yes you should start with the kreola.jpg and then you can turn it into anything you'd like, extend the sides, make it larger, use bits of it, add things, subtract things, so long as you start from that as your basis on your matte painting.

Quote:
4. Do we have to post the WIP images before we post our final images, or do we have to post them simultaneously with the final image?

Yes! ALL WIP must be posted here from beginning to final end...post a new thread such as: "WIP: Kreola - Jonas Thomas" that should be the format

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09 September 2013   #19
Another doubt.

Hola Mariana,

Please go ahead and minimize all you want. The idea with the WIP posts is that we will give you notes and feedback like you would receive on a real job. The way you handle those is part of the final outcome.
If you have any more doubts, feel free to post your questions here.

Thank you for asking.
Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortizalbo
Another doubt, can the plate be minimized to add some more stuff at the edges and the sky? of course retaining the final size necessary dimensions. Thanks

Old 09 September 2013   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by milanschere
Dear Norberto,

This is a really good question and I'm glad you asked.....
Milan

Thanks a lot Milan. I think i got your point and i saw/imagine Dune saga when i was reading the briefing for the first time.
I will start sketching some forms as soon as i can and try to put energy in this matte.

kind regards

Old 09 September 2013   #21
Looking forward to it Norberto! Don't forget to make a new thread with WIP syntax

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09 September 2013   #22
Thumbs up Now it's all very clear

Thanks Milan, you solved all my doubts and reading what you answered to the other members also helped. I'm very excited about the project and I'll start working on it. See you soon.

Old 09 September 2013   #23
Very interesting and very challenging topic. Gonna start the brief and just feel my way through it, let the feedback guide me. lets do this

Old 09 September 2013   #24
Thanks for the answers Milan! It's clear to me now.

Old 09 September 2013   #25
Red face Questions..

Can you totally make a new image without using any imagery from Kreola.jpg?

I already had submitted my first WIP earlier this morning:

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/kreo...pt_art/10005461

I wasn't sure if Kreola was the plate or just a piece to get ideas from.

However, My WIP has a view down a street and i've begun putting ideas together.

Thanks ahead for your reply,

-Line

Old 09 September 2013   #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LineDetail
Can you totally make a new image without using any imagery from Kreola.jpg?

I already had submitted my first WIP earlier this morning:

http://challenge.cgsociety.org/kreo...pt_art/10005461

I wasn't sure if Kreola was the plate or just a piece to get ideas from.

However, My WIP has a view down a street and i've begun putting ideas together.

Thanks ahead for your reply,

-Line

Hi Mark,

The idea for a matte painting is you start from the base plate that a director has shot and given you, in this case it's the Kreola.jpg You want to then transform that into his vision and expand upon that base, and use as much as you want from the original so it still stands recognizable. The other "inspirations or reference" images in the competition is just that, so you can look at those however you want. The kreola.jpg though, is your base plate to start from.

The concept is cool to explore, but I would bring back the original kreola.jpg and work from there for a redo. Sorry for the confusion! Also please post your WIP here in this forum, using the syntax described in the original post. Thanks!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09 September 2013   #27
limits and perspective

Hello Mates

another question:
there is a limit on how much of the plate we should use ?
like: the first 2 or 3 buildings in each side of the street ?
I know the balcony is a must, and that we can stablish the action contained in the briefing using only the very first building, but i would like to know if there is a limit i must reach.

2nd) Are you guys having a hell of a good fight with perspective as i am ?
The street is bended and each build was made using its own orientation... my rocks will have to be painted this way as well....

thanks, have a hell of good week you all

norberto

Old 09 September 2013   #28
this is interesting! When I have time, I'll upload my WIP !!!

Regards

Old 09 September 2013   #29
Limits and Perspective

Limits:
Retain as much from the plate however much you find necessary to communicate the proper look. Make sure the story still works though. We expect you to have more of the plate left in the end than just a door frame. We're monitoring all the WIP threads and give a fair warning to anyone who does something crazy like blow away the FG balcony. As you're all well versed artists and logical individuals, I can safely announce that nobody has posted anything unreasonable yet.

Persp:
I'm glad you're all enjoying the plate. More importantly, it is nice to see that everybody who entered the competition so far is well able to handle and work with the limitations of the plate! Good job everyone. Keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbertoidiart
Hello Mates

another question:
there is a limit on how much of the plate we should use ?
like: the first 2 or 3 buildings in each side of the street ?
I know the balcony is a must, and that we can stablish the action contained in the briefing using only the very first building, but i would like to know if there is a limit i must reach.

2nd) Are you guys having a hell of a good fight with perspective as i am ?
The street is bended and each build was made using its own orientation... my rocks will have to be painted this way as well....

thanks, have a hell of good week you all

norberto

Old 09 September 2013   #30
Hi Norbertoidiart,

one day I will find out what your name means lol, I too have the perspective issue, do you know what I did?

Drew Perspective lines out to a vp. I had 3 vp in the end, found the Horizon line. Then went in and drew a VP on the exact middle. Working of that and seems to be fine.

Its not the right way to do it.

Also a question for Milan, are we seeing the POV of the main character, or is the balcony in th matte stupid question it may sound. But dont want to make a mistake!

Thanks loving this,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Thread Closed share thread