Fabio Zungrone and Anthony Eftekhari's Cityscape Walk-through

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #16
Originally Posted by Ackdoh: Heyo Guys,

Fabio will be coming in and answering any of your questions you have about his new fantastic piece here this weekend, so stay tuned!

Very cool, David! If you don't mind, I already have a couple ready haha.

What films did you research for the camera move and how long did it take you to figure out which move you wanted for the final shot?

It's often tempting with 3D camera's to create unrealistic moves due to most real-world restrictions no longer being an issue. Did you guys ever feel that way or was it always in mind to stick to a more traditional shot?

Old 08 August 2013   #17
One of the most inspirational work I've seen here at Cgtalk. Amazing work. Congratulations.

Old 08 August 2013   #18
Yes they're quite awesome!! Nice question Bobby, Fabio/Anthony should be posting here shortly about them, if anyone else has questions, please feel free to post as well.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 09 September 2013   #19
Hi guys,
First of all thank you so much for all the kind words! We really appreciate it.
And a big thank you to David for giving us the chance to interact with all of you here on CGtalk.
As he said, feel free to ask as many questions as you want, we'll try to answer as best as we can.
You can probably find some of the answers already in the article on 3d world, but I'm sure some of you will have more specific ones.
Thanks again!
Fabio

Old 09 September 2013   #20
Camera movement

Hi Kaioshen,
Thanks for your question.
When planning our camera movement we looked at some of our favorite movies...or better, favorite MP shots in movies.
A big inspiration for us was "Anonymous". We both believed that the environments in there were some of the best we'd seen. The lightning, amount of detail, staging and composition are top notch.
Other ones were "kingdom of heaven", "prince of persia", "conan", but the list could go on for a while.
One thing we wanted was to make it feel as believable as possible. i agree with you, you have a lot of freedom in 3d to move your camera around, but looking at real world reference is always a good idea.
I think going too far could really break the illusion and make it look CG.
Unless you're Peter Jackson..
I hope this answers your question
Thanks

Old 09 September 2013   #21
Oh Peter Jackson...lol :P Those were great references Fabio. When I first saw this, I immediately thought of Anonymous, so you guys nailed the epicness of that. Great question Bobby, and thanks for the reponse Fabio!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09 September 2013   #22
I'm sorry I didn't post this earlier, but thank you for your reply Fabio! I haven't seen Anonymous yet (I'm bad with keeping up with movies), so I'll be checking that out for sure and keeping a good eye on the environments.

Thanks again!

Old 09 September 2013   #23
Heyo Bobby,

Actually I'm bad too, I also haven't seen it! D: but I saw the trailer and that gives a really good idea of the environments, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmnkk0QW3Q

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 09 September 2013   #24
I would recommend this link as well:

http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguide-125-anonymous/

Have fun!

Old 09 September 2013   #25
Thanks for the awesome links! They go really in-depth in the fxguide interview (and honestly, some of it was way over my head haha) which was surprising but really cool and fun to watch. I need to check some more of these out sometime. Great stuff!

Old 09 September 2013   #26
good work!

Old 09 September 2013   #27
http://vimeo.com/62396477

Dear Fabio and Anthony,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful work. This set is a really 3D heavy environment build and I was wondering how this shot relates or compares to your matte painting work within the cinematic department at Blizzard? Are you generally involved with the full assets to this extent, or is this rather something you concentrated on for your personal project only?

Thank you in advance.
Seema

Old 09 September 2013   #28
It's beautiful indeed ! But maybe the camera goes too fast and it's hard to appreciate detail with all that motion blur. Do you plan rendering a hires still ?

Old 09 September 2013   #29
This was completely done by only 2 people? really?? its awesome! How long do you even take to render that.

Old 09 September 2013   #30
Hi Seema,
Thanks for the kind words! We model some assets in our cinematics, but we usually have the amazing environment team helping us on the heavy modeling ones.
This was actually one of the goal in this personal project. We wanted to test our 3d skills and push a full cg shot as far as we could.

Motion blur! Yes, we noticed it was quite a lot, especially at the beginning of the shot. And that was actually a time saver because we didn't have to spend time modeling all kinds of small details on the buildings.
There are some full rez renders of the assets on our website
Www.themattedepartment.com
I don't think we have time to render anything else at the moment...

Thanks again guys!
Fabio

Thread Closed share thread