Contact

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Contact

Hello

Is it good idea to create projection of these two works?

I would like to update my reel and make it "acceptable" in terms of quality since I'm not so bad at doing projections.

I feel that I made a few mistakes here, hope I wont have to remove most of the elements

And some fun with Vue

Best
Jacek

Last edited by zethrix : 08 August 2013 at 07:42 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Love the second one

Nice picture Jacek!

If talk about all pictures - Overall it looks good, but I'm still thinking that Vue's stuff doesn't work pretty well for the photorealistic quality. Vue is great tool yes, but it probably needs more work and tweaks to get photoreal quality for some FG elements as well as for middle ground.

Otherwise good work Jacek keep it up! Glad to see you here!

Last edited by shamanik : 08 August 2013 at 07:17 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Hey,

Yea, Vue needs a lot of tweeks to get nice results and powerful PC But it's nice tool to replace some elements if you mix renders with photos and overpaint.
I love to experiment and trying to be better and better.

Thanks for comment Igor, looking forward to see your work in Avatar 2, Prometheus 2 etc.

Last edited by zethrix : 08 August 2013 at 09:07 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
I agree with Igor, I liked the second one but I believe the first one would be more appropriate for doing projection work.

Good luck,
Rahul

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Projection mapping

Dear Jacek,
The second image is your strongest, although I can't judge any of those Vue renders from these samples posted here. Do you have a link to the full size, not just a portion?
Knowing 3D projections is a good skill but before you add a camera move, think about the purpose of your shot. If you merely add a push-in for the purpose of adding a push-in, your demo reel will look like you added a push-in only to have a push-in, if you know what I mean. Matte Painting is an art form with a true purpose and especially establishing environment shots should tell a story. Your lighting should help to lead the eye and if there is a camera move, it should also help communicate the information trying to be conveyed to the viewer.
Matte Painting itself is only a storytelling tool and the "why" is more important than the "how". If you are working on improving your reel, analyze your favourite shots from movies and try to understand what it is that captured your attention.
Hope this was of some help.
Milan

Originally Posted by zethrix: Hello

Is it good idea to create projection of these two works?

I would like to update my reel and make it "acceptable" in terms of quality since I'm not so bad at doing projections.

I feel that I made a few mistakes here, hope I wont have to remove most of the elements

And some fun with Vue

Best
Jacek

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Hey Jacek, thanks

Milan gives exellent feedback, thanks for that!

Of course trying to follow that would definitely improve and help by doing your art!

great!

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Hello Milan,

Yes, you are right. There is no point to create projections only to make "simple move" without any story/purpose. Maybe adding some walking human in the left corner and some ship will do the job. I will think about it.

I was just playing around with Vue renders to get nice results like mountains from USGS maps. Render without additional nodes

I used this mountains here

playing with water shader

Originally Posted by milanschere: Dear Jacek,
The second image is your strongest, although I can't judge any of those Vue renders from these samples posted here. Do you have a link to the full size, not just a portion?
Knowing 3D projections is a good skill but before you add a camera move, think about the purpose of your shot. If you merely add a push-in for the purpose of adding a push-in, your demo reel will look like you added a push-in only to have a push-in, if you know what I mean. Matte Painting is an art form with a true purpose and especially establishing environment shots should tell a story. Your lighting should help to lead the eye and if there is a camera move, it should also help communicate the information trying to be conveyed to the viewer.
Matte Painting itself is only a storytelling tool and the "why" is more important than the "how". If you are working on improving your reel, analyze your favourite shots from movies and try to understand what it is that captured your attention.
Hope this was of some help.
Milan

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Originally Posted by shamanik: Hey Jacek, thanks

Milan gives exellent feedback, thanks for that!

Of course trying to follow that would definitely improve and help by doing your art!

great!

Yeah, I'm reading Milan's feedback in every topic on this forum, great advices.

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread