WIP TOD course of Matte Painting with David Luong

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
WIP TOD course of Matte Painting with David Luong

Hey everybody! My name is Dmitry Rybakov. I live in Russia right in the middle of Siberia in the city Abakan. I started to learn course of Matte Painting by David Luong. Reports with results of my work will be uploaded here. I hope it time will be spent with profit for me.

So.. First task was about kinds of perspectives and compositions. I've took some photos and identified vanishing points and line of horizon for objects on canvas with help of tangent lines.

If all right then it looks so:
1. 0 point pespective

2. 1 point pespective

3. 2 point pespective

4. 3 point pespective

08 August 2013
just some rough scetches

I made nice fotoset in early spring in neighborhoods of my city. I got exellent shots but i want to get more magic from local landscapes, if so can say. I made some rough scetches what i want. Of course that needs improve colors, lights, haze ect.

Last edited by captwin : 08 August 2013 at 11:49 PM.

08 August 2013
Nothing to do with matte painting... but i've search for Abakan in google maps. And is interesting to note how perfectly in the middle of the continent you are. Geometrically speaking... you are in the belly of the world.

Just for curiosity any of this images are from your home place ??

Cheers and good luck on your studies.

norberto

08 August 2013
Thanks for purchasing my CGTOD Dmitry, off to a great start so far and posting in this community is great to get extra eyes and feedback for you!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by norbertoidiart:
Just for curiosity any of this images are from your home place ??

norberto

Hey, this is really 50 km from Abakan. Mount Kun-tag. The coordinates in googlemaps 53.893819,91.320022.
By the way I have done moodboard according to the instructions . I'm planning to do a project which will use landscapes of our region. I chose pictures and it seems encountered a small problem.

I'm working on removing the sky, and removing the noise. It turned out that all the pictures are very fuzzy, and some of them have a lot of noise. Tell me whether is it sufficient quality for Matte Painting?

I uploaded photos here

I upload arhive with original photos here. Because google did strong compressing pictures .
fotos have resolution - 4272x2848

Last edited by captwin : 08 August 2013 at 11:45 AM.

08 August 2013
Noise

The bulk archive is too large for me to download but if you're experiencing problems with digital noise, give the Noise Ninja plug-in a chance. It can do magic sometimes.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by seemaschere: The bulk archive is too large for me to download but if you're experiencing problems with digital noise, give the Noise Ninja plug-in a chance. It can do magic sometimes.

Thanks alot for Plug-in! This one gave good result. I think I uploaded large archive for nothing. I re uploaded one example of pictures according to each problem.
1. picture is fuzzy in details - click here
2. strong noise - click here
thanks in advance!

Last edited by captwin : 08 August 2013 at 12:05 AM.

08 August 2013
I think I can use these pictures for midground or background, actually. It means I need come back for taking fotos with good quality

08 August 2013
So, I performed tasks usage extraction tools and set extentions. My results:

Set extentions
before

after

I hid ven, replaced sky and added gipsy wagon. Wagon was made in 3ds max.
before

after

before

after

before

after

I'll upload my sketches for Matte Painting a bit later.

08 August 2013
Hio Dmitry,

Generally great extractions you did here...there's the ol' South Korea World Wide International picture of mine The buildings on the right of that look a little blurry though, be sure not to scale things beyond their original resolution much. Also the bottom trees have too sharp of an edge, give that a slight feather, and some lightwrap from the background, as well as a slight spill suppression of blue matte edge on the leaves. Keep it up!!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

08 August 2013
converted images

Hi David! Thanks a lot for your remarks. Techniques such as feathering, light wraping, and spill suppression gave good results. I'll try use them in my works. Resolution of buildings really was poor quality. Seems I accidentally applied blur filter.

Ok, I converted images

Last edited by captwin : 08 August 2013 at 04:41 AM.

08 August 2013
Much better great

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

08 August 2013
update of sketch

I fixed the sketch and did first setup of colors. Definite theme of story appears now. Turkic warrior who goes alone on rocky road in the hills. I'll have opportunity take pictures in this neighborhood in near time yet. I'll be able to take more epic fotos of the turkic walking warrior a bit later too.

09 September 2013
Week 3. report

During this week I made few version of may concept, And stoped on this picture. It morning time with light haze and bright sunshine.
I want hear your advices for improve this one. I feel pictire far from perfection

The Warrior and the dry tree i'll add later, I still don't have good reference, but i'm trying make 3D model of tree now. I'm planning take pictures man in armors with help guys who make the historical reconstruction. I still don't have camera for shoot hi-res video, but I'll try to find. I want to train compositing and shooting with blue or green screen for warrior. I hope it won't take time.

Last edited by captwin : 09 September 2013 at 09:34 AM.

09 September 2013
Just quick update

I finally figured out how use curves. I made tune curves for each layer. And I almost danced for happiness when i saw result )). But at first i decided write this post.
It still needs to FX of atmosphere, haze, sunshine etc. but I'm happy day passed not for nothing. )

Thread Closed share thread