Beach cityscape

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Beach cityscape

Here is a new matte painting I did from scratch based on a loose sketch but the concept kept on revising and I ended up with this result. I would really like to know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance for taking a look.

Cheers,
Rahul

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Beach city

Hi Rahul,
Thank you for sharing your WIP.
I think it is a promising mock-up concept and definitely on the right track. Currently your different elements need to be brought into the same world. You have white levels and black points somewhat unbalanced across the image. The individual bits and pieces need to fit into one uniform lighting scenario. Some parts have an extremely strong shadow side, while others at the same angle receive a bounce light. The city will benefit from an additional texture pass paint-over, bringing it into a more photo-realistic world.
Take lighting cues from your main FG plate for this. If you manage to work some more on the BG, try to integrate the mountains in a way that they don't stick out as individual silhouettes so much. If you want to keep your strong contrast with the specs coming from screen left, you'll need to match everything to fit into that base. I would also try introducing some warmth into your current colour palette.
Hope this helps for starters. Your framing, composition and architectural creativity are great.

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Thanks a lot for your comments Seema, those are really good observations and I agree with most of them. But can you please elaborate on an additional texture pass paint-over? As in more dirt textures?

I am not sure I want to make it too much to the warmer side (I am looking into more of cooling filter photography) but will definitely work on the shadows and B&W levels. I will try to post improved version soon

Once again thanks a lot your critics, its really helping me to push my skills.

Last edited by metalrahul : 08 August 2013 at 08:56 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
update

Old 08 August 2013   #5
nice work

Old 08 August 2013   #6
It looking nice, I would still bring the blacks down a bit on the LHS rocks mid frame, compared to the FG rocks. Even if its directly in front of the light source and silhouetted, it would be a bit less dark than FG. The additional texture pass would be for a bit more detail in the buildings, which are looking good already

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Yep, that helps to define the depth a little better in that area. Once again thanks Seema

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Lighting

Dear Rahul,

If your original photo element has such strong directional lighting and lacks information in the darks, you can not lift it by adding light spill over it. Instead you will need to implement information into the shadows to simulate bounce light. Such a strong shadow side on the rocks also implies harsher and longer cast shadows. Make sure to match your lighting across your image in order to avoid making it appear like a collage. Especially if you add new elements in the foreground and also when you try to implement structures into an environment. These are basic guidelines to help you along the way to achieve photo-realism. Additionally, I also think that your buildings would greatly benefit from a paint-over pass.

Keep at it. It's the only way.
Milan

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Thanks a lot for your comments Milan and I totally agree with you. Here is an update, I tried to fix the foreground and also added a bit more textures on couple of buildings.

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread