MysticalDisaster
Rohit Nayak
portfolio
Rohit Nayak
Digital matte painter/Environment Artist/3d generalist
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

A Victorian Street

This is another shot I did for my demo reel. This is a complete 3D scene done in maya and photoshop(for textures). Please give me feedback on this shot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Moving shot :

https://vimeo.com/71912485

Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
norbertoidiart
Norberto Idiart

portfolio
Norberto Idiart
Brazil

Beautiful !

Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
shamanik
PRO

portfolio
Igor Staritsin
Canada

Send a message via ICQ to shamanik
Hi Rohit,

Looks cool! I think it has a nice potential!
Sunset one of my favorite time of a day.

If you don't mind I'd like to say a couple of words more. Would be nice to add some more accents to your center of the composition. Maybe try to play a little bit more with lighting on that tower in the background to get more attention on it and work on it shape, get it higher, bigger and more attractively, so it should works better I guess. And might work on lighting as well. My eyes get stuck on the FG elements, because they're lit with sunlight quite well, but distant tower quite dark and I think it's not the best way to catch the attention of a viewer to the depth in this picture.

Also the street doesn't look alive (especially in the animated shot). There's no light from the windows, no people and no any movements (cars, tracks or so) on the street which give the feeling of a real life.

I know it's easier to say and more difficult to do, but hope it helps!

Do you use Nuke for the projection?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
seemaschere
www.seemaschere.com

portfolio
Seema Schere
Matte Painter
Mr X Inc
Toronto, Canada

A Victorian Street

This is the strongest piece on your Vimeo.
Since you specified it as a full 3D Maya shot, I take it that it's a proper 3D asset with textures and the entire shot has a lighting rig, which makes it work from multiple different angles. That is really impressive for student work. Very well done. You seem to be a very versatile Matte Painter with 3D Environment Artist skills. NOT drawing attention to the BG and leading the viewers eye this skilfully to the FG is equally impressive. Keeping it as a clean plate without animation for your demo reel shows what position you are after.
As it stands right now, it won't be judged as a DMP though. If you wish to bring it into a photo-real world, I recommend either setting up some projections and painting over it, or trying Mari. With the potential you're displaying, I'm confident you can pick up and get confident in Mari within 1 week!! Mari will allow you to add some more detail and touch-ups.
Very promising. Good job. You're at 98%, now take it all the way...

Old 08-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
MysticalDisaster
Rohit Nayak
portfolio
Rohit Nayak
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

@norbertoidiart ..Thank you

@Igor Staritsin .. Thanks a lot for your feedback... I just wanted to keep the focus in foreground and that is why I tried to haze out the background. May be I can render out 1 more version of this shot with more focus on background tower. I still lack composition skills :P ...hehe ..but will do my best to catch up to it

@Seema Schere .... Now this is my only work on Vimeo ..lol....others very really old one and I forgot to remove those....hehe
Thank you so much for the motivating words ....Yes it is a complete 3d shot so it has camera freedom :P but I must confess I cheated at many spots...at few places the details in texture degrades .... I recently learnt 3d and this is my 1st 3d shot so I faced many issues in this ... Also bg elements are not properly UVed :(.... I had to complete this shot in 5 weeks... I am still working on few other shots for my reel .... I would surely try to learn Mari... Thanks again for the feedback

Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Ackdoh
www.davidluong.net

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
David Luong
Senior Cinematic II Artist
Blizzard Entertainment
Irvine, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDisaster
@norbertoidiart ..Thank you

@Igor Staritsin .. Thanks a lot for your feedback... I just wanted to keep the focus in foreground and that is why I tried to haze out the background. May be I can render out 1 more version of this shot with more focus on background tower. I still lack composition skills :P ...hehe ..but will do my best to catch up to it

@Seema Schere .... Now this is my only work on Vimeo ..lol....others very really old one and I forgot to remove those....hehe
Thank you so much for the motivating words ....Yes it is a complete 3d shot so it has camera freedom :P but I must confess I cheated at many spots...at few places the details in texture degrades .... I recently learnt 3d and this is my 1st 3d shot so I faced many issues in this ... Also bg elements are not properly UVed :(.... I had to complete this shot in 5 weeks... I am still working on few other shots for my reel .... I would surely try to learn Mari... Thanks again for the feedback

It's definitely a great looking shot, lovely lighting, congrats Rohit! And your new title at MPC

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #7
MysticalDisaster
Rohit Nayak
portfolio
Rohit Nayak
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

@David ...thank you so much .... your works are always an inspiration ...

@James.....thanks a lot.... 3D is not that difficult... I didn't know any 3D a year back...in fact I was scared of it :P .... but now it feels same as matte painting.....I think of it as painting in 3D space... BTW I loved your entry in Kreola challenge ...cheers mate good luck

Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
bpsola
Frequenter

portfolio
Bryan Marvin P. Sola
sta. rosa, Philippines

Love It!

Hi Mr. Rohit,

This is absolutely amazing! You inspired me to try 3d again lol!

This is really amazing especially the lighting. That soft atmosphere inspite of that rustic grungy architecture. I just noticed that some areas of the roof looks a bit flat (i assume there's no bump/normal maps but i can see you tried to break the edges by adding some random geometries ). I guess that's not visible to a normal people's eye and that's a minor stuff! and for the illumination from the lightpost, try adding some on the building walls as well or try to lessen the illumination on the ground since the sun's starting to light up the scene

Overall this is perfect to me!!

Best,

Bryan Sola

Last edited by bpsola : 11-20-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread