Futuristic Jersey City

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Futuristic Jersey City

Hello everyone,

My name is Rohit Nayak and I am currently studying Visual Effects at Vanarts , Canada. I am currently in final semester and this is the last month of the course. So I am currently working on my demo reel. I wanted to get reviews on one of the works I did for my demo reel.

I tried to do a futuristic Jersey City.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

08 August 2013
blue

hi MysticalDisaster

I liked your image. And architecture... I only noticed that the buildings are too blue and maybe it would be good to stick with the color of the plate (more red).

08 August 2013
Hio Rohit,

Nice of you to join us here as well! I think you did a great job matching the perspective, scale, and lighting. But there are a few final things that could be improved upon:

- Biggest thing standing out is the atmospheric perspective and black values, at this distance, it should be more hazy, like the original photo, try to add some of that back in.
- Also if you look around on the far edges, like the top right or the BG of the 3D extension you did, there's no integration, it needs black level matching and atmospherics, as well as some ground integration. They are floating out by themselves there.
- Generally, the clouds in the BG are cool, but in the middle, some cloud highlights are too clipped in the white range and lose too much detail, try to add some back and have them "fade" more into the horizon of haze.

Overall, you've got a great base and it looks great! Just need to fix a few things and it'll be production ready.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

08 August 2013
Thank you so much norbertoidiart and David for the feedback. Those were pretty strong and convincing points. I will work on these points.

08 August 2013
VanArts

Dear Rohit,

First of all, congratulations on tackling such a large scale environment. I'm looking forward to seeing the final shot with the camera move. The main thing I notice right away is the black-level on your CG buildings. Try to analyze your plate more and match the depth perspective/fall off. After reading through the comments, I think David's notes are worth gold. Definitely address those before sticking it on your demo reel. I remember the last month of VanArts... good luck! Hope you maintain a healthy relation to the real world and remember what food and sleep are.

Last edited by milanschere : 08 August 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: I obviously can't spell.

08 August 2013
Thanks a lot Milan Schere ... I agree with your points...blacks and atmospheric perspective are an issue here. I tried to fix those issues as per the feedback i received. Here is the latest update,

Please let me know if I am going in the right direction.

Yes this is my last month at Vanarts and I am trying to have proper contact with the real world haha ... I believe in "Stay healthy Stay Creative"

08 August 2013
This is a another 3d matte painting I am doing for my demo reel.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...583#post7637583

08 August 2013
Instead of an overall blue wash, work on creating a stronger atmospheric perception. Maybe render yourself a z-depth pass. You can really fake this in your image, as most environment shots do, and push it to a further extreme than your plate. If you're comping this yourself and you are simulating a helicopter flight path, you can animate the haze and reduce it, as you get closer to the buildings. People will notice that subtle attention to detail on your reel, if done right.

The plate also has a nice red/brown/earth tint. I'd stay away from letting the final shot become too blue!
But I guess that might be personal taste.
In general, watch out that your water doesn't feel too disconnected from the city in respect to hue/saturation.

Really looking forward to your reel.

08 August 2013
Hey Seema,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I tried to work on the points you asked me to but I am not sure if I did it in the right way. Please have a look at the updated version.

I am not sure if I have enough time to do a moving shot for this 1 :(....

08 August 2013
I think it's looking better already! You added the haze in nicely!

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread