Winter Landscape

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Winter Landscape

Hi guys!

Hope you're doing well

This piece was done as a part of a big project I'm working on. It's quite old but anyway has some nice mood.

This dmp was choosen to be published in the most exciting and expectable book about digital matte-painting - "D'Artiste Matte-painting 3" as well as 8 other pictures of mine.

New version:

Thanks for watching!

Last edited by shamanik : 08 August 2013 at 08:29 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Hio Igor,

Nice to see you back here! I do remember this one...It's a great one The only thing I would say is the far BG mountains could use just a little more light wrap on them, but other than that a great dmp!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Hey David,

So glad to see you here as well!

Yes, you definitely right, it gives a little lack of depth as well, so I tried to fix it and now it's updated, I think looks better.

It's always great and pretty useful to have this kind of advice from you, because I always want to improve my skills

Thanks a lot David! appreciate!

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Allo Igor!

Very cool, yes that's it!! And super fast turnaround too (under 2.5 hours haha) nice Igor! Happy to see your lobely work in the upcoming book

And I too am happy to see more activity here again...soon it'll be quite the buzz due to the challenge!!

David

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Thank you David! Glad you like it!

Sounds cool! It's definitely a nice place to get people involved into matte-painting! And will do my best to stay tuned here!

All the best

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Awesome light ! congratulations

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Thanks! Glad you like this one

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Great work! Love the lights on those peaks. Only thing I can say is that I want to see it bigger
Cheers,
Kim

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Winter landscape

Hello Igor,

I've taken a look at the larger version in your portfolio: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1118904 Maybe the forum will soon allow this to be in one place, so that you don't need to receive comments through two separate threads.

When you create your Matte Paintings, it is important to keep the purpose of your shot in mind. I'm sure David has expressed this in his workshop, along with helpful notes, such as to stay away from birds, waterfalls and lens flares.
Even if it's a vampire movie and you wish to indicate the sun rising or disappearing behind the mountains, try to help the viewer by maybe leaving some sunlight hits on the edge of the rooftops. Especially, since the rock underneath the screen-right tree is having some specular light on it. The trees are also a good indicator for attention to detail.
Make sure you pull a clean mask or clean it up to create a good silhouette, and watch out for things like the de-fringe tool, as it does not always work to your favour.
Overall it is a great image and it has a very strong mood but I would encourage having another go at it. Fix areas you were rushing when blocking it in and try to get creative with your very promising lighting scenario. It's almost there.

Originally Posted by shamanik: Hi guys!

Hope you're doing well

This piece was done as a part of a big project I'm working on. It's quite old but anyway has some nice mood.

This dmp was choosen to be published in the most exciting and expectable book about digital matte-painting - "D'Artiste Matte-painting 3" as well as 8 other pictures of mine.

Thanks for watching!

Old 08 August 2013   #10
kimpete, thank you!

Old 08 August 2013   #11
Milan,

Hello Milan, glad to see you here!

Thank you, you're right!
Actually, because it was a part of a bigger project I just was trying to establish some nice mood overall and didn't pay attention at the details here. And yes if talking about this dmp as an independent one I probably have to get some extra work on it. I going to refine some details.

Birds it's more like a reference for a final shot. Later on, after dmp is done, me or another compositing artist will be able to see the idea of the birds there. So it's just a reference to get the idea.

Thank you for you feedback it's pretty useful and gives me motivation to improve this dmp!
Will get back soon. If you will be able, please stay tuned.

I appreciate your attention!

All the best!

Old 08 August 2013   #12
Hey guys,

Because at the moment I'm having some troubles with a job, I had some time to work on this one. Actually I used kind of the same lighting situation which I'm using in that big project I mentioned above. Also I changed the color palette so now it looks closer to the original plate.

At the beginning it was mostly about the sky and general mood, so now I suppose I have this one done.

Thanks for keep me motivated guys and I hope you like this version as well.

Let me know what you think

p.s. also updated first post to keep people informed

thanks for watching

Old 08 August 2013   #13
Great job addressing those lighting notes!
One last note from me: The FG element has a really hard edge! Try to blend it more with the rest of the image.

Old 08 August 2013   #14
seemaschere,
Yeah, thanks for that, will edit this!
I'm still working on lighting here and probably will get another one.
Thanks for taking a look!

Old 08 August 2013   #15
There's some excellent feedback here, and Igor it's looking so great!! Nice work

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Thread Closed share thread