LAYERSLAYER -- matte painting tool for Photoshop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2012   #16
SO i got it to work by putting it into the presets/scripts directory. Now I am having some other problems. The open2log converts it but there is white pixelation in some areas. Have you ever heard of this? Also I am getting an error when i click on the layer slayer that says Error 509: Invalid image data Line: 156

It is saved as a psd.

Old 03 March 2012   #17
Quote: I am trying to install this on windows 7 cs5.1 and not sure where to put the .png files or the jsx and jszbin files. I have tried to put them in the plugins root directory and also into the filters directory. Can you give me a detailed walkthrough? I did install the icc profiles into the System 32 directory so thats all good.

SO i got it to work by putting it into the presets/scripts directory. Now I am having some other problems. The open2log converts it but there is white pixelation in some areas. Have you ever heard of this? Also I am getting an error when i click on the layer slayer that says Error 509: Invalid image data Line: 156

It is saved as a psd.

Hey Christian, a couple of things here... Firstly, I'm not sure as to why you're even having to play around with what folder to put things in... I've created an installer to take the guesswork out of that part.. if you're not using 64bit Photoshop that could be causing the problem...

And the "Error 509: Invalid image data Line: 156" message has popped up before when all the .png icons aren't in the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Presets\Scripts" folder. More specifically in this case, the icon called "LS_FLT.png"

As far as the white, blown out pixels... I can't be sure, but if you're not opening images that are in linear space to begin with, you are most likely going to get some crazy looking images using the open2log script. If you open a file with that script that is in srgb space, it's going to send the values through the roof. Hopefully that helps some. If not let me know, and I'll do my best to help you get rolling here.

Last edited by tide78 : 03 March 2012 at 08:29 AM.

Old 03 March 2012   #18
Thanks Zach. I will give this a try and see if it works. I was having someone else install it (IT) and it didnt work so then I was trying to troubleshoot it. Sounds pretty simple though.

Ill let you know how it goes.

Old 03 March 2012   #19
Hey Zach,

Unfortunately it did not work. We deleted everything that we manually had placed and started fresh. All the exe did was to place them onto the desktop. Does it need to be executed within the program directory?

Are you at DD in venice still? I am in Florida at DDMG.

Old 03 March 2012   #20
My bad man, I made a small fix to the code, and when I re-packaged the .exe I forgot something. I'll get it fixed today.

but in the meantime, to install you can just put the stuff in the following directories:

anything with the extension .jsx, .jsxbin, .png goes in

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Presets\Scripts

the Cineon Converter.8bf plugin goes into:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins

the OpenEXR Alpha.8bi plugin goes into:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats
-make sure that all other openEXR plugins are commented out/disabled by adding.bak to them as they will fight with the code and LayerSlayer won't work.

and for the .icc profiles, they all go into:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color\

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, let me know if that all works when it's in the right places.

EDIT:

Ok, I've recompiled the installer with what should be the proper settings, if you haven't already installed everything manually, you can re-download the installer and give it another shot.

Last edited by tide78 : 03 March 2012 at 07:34 PM.

Old 03 March 2012   #21
Thanks Zach it works perfectly so far. I'll let you know if anything comes up. One thing I would like to ask in the meantime is if the script is dependent on using on the open2log script or if that is just something extra?

Old 03 March 2012   #22
It works great so far. Is there any way to change the directory or saving locations? Is this only done by versioning up your file?

Old 03 March 2012   #23
Good glad it works! I am in Venice at DD still by the way.

To answer your question shortly, yes, LayerSlayer works independently of the open2log script.

The details roughly are as follows: The open2log script is basically just a way to open linear files and get them into log space so that you can paint on them. LayerSlayer is set up so that the default settings will export your files back out into linear colorspace, but you can turn off the linear option on export if you are starting with just regular sRGB files. So for instance, if you are getting plates to paint on out of Nuke, chances are you are getting a 32 bit exr in linear colorspace. Typically you'd have to run a plugin to convert the file from linear to log, and set it into the proper sRGB colorspace to paint on it, using a viewer LUT in photoshop to view the file in linear while working in log.

This is still the process we are using, but open2log does all the footwork for you, so that you can simply just use that script to open your 32 bit linear files, and it does all the converting of colorspace and bit depth for you, so that you never have to second guess anything. You can just open the file, start painting, and not have to worry.

As I had mentioned before, LayerSlayer is set up by default to work with this in mind, hence the options at the bottom are set to linear 32 bit exr format. On export, the file is converted from log back to linear, and from 16 back to 32 bit, so that when you open it back up in Nuke, all the values in your painting can match the plate as closely as possible.

Now if you want, you can start from a regular jpeg that is in sRGB space, just open it like you normally would, but since it's not in linear and most likely already 8 or 16 bit, there's no need to convert it into linear space. So you can just work like you normally would, and make sure to turn off the linear checkbox before you export.

Hopefully that makes sense... It can be a complicated subject, that's why I'm trying to make it as easy as possible.

Old 03 March 2012   #24
Originally Posted by christian108: It works great so far. Is there any way to change the directory or saving locations? Is this only done by versioning up your file?

currently, the saving location is hardcoded in to create a directory in the same folder as the .PSD workfile, and create versions in there. I may add something in the future to allow someone to choose a directory, but this way is a much simpler setup I felt. It also helps keep you organized as to where your files get saved out to, if someone else has to get your files for some reason, there's no question as to where they came from you know?

Old 03 March 2012   #25
Thanks Zach, That is good to know. When writing out the files does it go by layer group order from top to bottom or vice versa? It seems like sometimes it writes them out according to the order and others that it does not.
I also have the cineon convertor in the plugins folder and I can use it thru photoshop but when I try to use it thru the open2log script it returns an error message.

Error 8800: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.
- The command "Cineon Converter" is not currently available.
line: 34

Old 03 March 2012   #26
What folder did you put the cineon converter plugin into? is it in the file folder or the root of the plugins directory? I usually keep mine in the root of the plugin directory, which is where it installs to. I've only had that issue once, and restarting photoshop took care of it for me... Not entirely sure what could be causing it at this point, since there's actually no code on line 34 at all.... but with that being said, I might assume that it's just unable to find where you're putting the cineon converter plugin. Try and make a copy of it and put one in:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins
and another in:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters

Maybe that will fix it.

Last edited by tide78 : 03 March 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Old 03 March 2012   #27
Thanks Zach It is in the plugins root directory to the best of my knowledge. I will double check to see. I do know that the plugin works though because it is available through the filters directory and does work as a standalone plugin.

Thanks for all your help and lets chat it would be great to talk and see what you guys are up to over there.

Best

Christian

Old 03 March 2012   #28
Hey Zach,

Just wanted to check in with you. For some reason when I am writing out the files it is doing a post conversion using the cineon convertor. Do you know what I am talking about? Is there any way it can just write out the files without the conversion at the end? I am comparing it to the original group and it is clamped. Writing out to both exr and tiff give the same result. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help really appreciated.

Best

Christian

Old 03 March 2012   #29
If you don't want to export out in linear, then simply uncheck the checkbox in the format options that says linear. Then it won't convert it.

Old 03 March 2012   #30
Works like a charm. Only problem is that option is just available when writing out in exr and not for anything else. When you write out the tiffs it still does some sort of post conversion as well.

Thanks!

reply share thread