Welcome to the Digital Matte Painting forum!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

04 April 2006
How about a speed matte painting contest :-)?

-JIII

04 April 2006
I'm in for the contest.
It should be more creative instead of a skill contest. Something like daily sketch.
James? what do you say?

04 April 2006
mattepainting.org

For anyone interested in matte painting- there is an entire website dedicated to it:

http://www.mattepainting.org

It's home to some of todays most awesome matte painters. Dylan Cole, Alp Altiner, and Chris Stoski to name a few.

04 April 2006
a contest sounds really cool !! let me think of a cool idea and this is what I think guys, let's start this way

first contest can be about sketching , to see how you guys work with color and composition,
( rough level not to much detail )
later we can work in a final matte painting based on the skecth each artist posted.
this would be just a start guys a star your engines project for the next one

and finally I'm thinking about ancient civilizations , we all know CGTALK is a worlwide society, so here we find people from all around the world, then a final contest and high end project would be to create a really cool, detailed matte painting based on each others ancient civilizations,
for instance I'm mexican = mayan civilization, chinese = ancient chinese temples and palaces, each one of you will have to show, real reference photos, sketches , wip's and the final mattepainting. and we all are going to learn about history hehe
we can create some new pyramids, palaces or a complete new ancient city eventhough it never existed, but it has to match the time it is supposed to exist
here's an example of a matte painting I did , of a mayan city that never existed but I had it in my imaginination
http://features.cgsociety.org/galle..._1126306096.jpg

imagine the posibilities with your own ancient civilizations ,
I will star a new thread for the sketching Forum . there I will add rules and steps, good luck !

04 April 2006
I was not thinking necessarily contest, just something that we can do to get practice, but a contest is good as well, I am glad that this forum is starting to take off smoothly, thanx again for taking the time to listen guys!

06 June 2006
Uhh sorry to bump a very old thread (meh it's a sticky) but can someone give an artist illiterate person such as myself a primer on what DMP really is? It sounds pretty cool, but I've only been modeling, I haven't really ventured into the realm of other types of art...

06 June 2006
DMP a catch-all phrase for a type of environmental illustration that doesn't have to adhere to any single artistic discipline (i.e. 3d, 2d, photography). And that's a good thing, with so many images being produced with so many different techniques these days. It suddenly feels antiquated to even have separate 2d & 3d forums here on CGTalk since there is so much crossover of techniques.

The nice thing about so-called DMP is that it's the finished image that matters most (and they typically appear to be people-less environments, in keeping with what actual matte paintings were in the pre-digital days, though that varies). It's not about how great your model is or how great a painter you are, but how well the finished image conveys a mood or realistically depicts a fantastic setting. It seems that most DMP artists aspire to create photo-real images, which is what classical matte painting was all about.

Just my take on it....

06 June 2006
Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, it sounds like DMP is just any art in any form as long as it consists of environmental illustration, either photoreal or emotion? I thought the "matte" was describing some sort of specific technique...

06 June 2006
Originally Posted by Nii: I thought the "matte" was describing some sort of specific technique...

It does, but it's a legacy word that applied to the process of inserting a traditional painting into an area of a filmed image that's been left blank, or "matted out".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_painting

02 February 2007
Dear member of this forum,

I am proud to join the matte painting forum. I have been waiting for a long to participate in such a fascinating technique. I live in Brazil (State of Recife) and matte painting is almost innesistent in movie or video productions here, so i am planning to start a team of professionals for this. For me, matte painting is the most important solution for projects with tight budget (this is the main concern between professionals here). My final project from the university is exactly DIGITAL MATTE, so i hope to exchange experiences and ideas here...

THANKS everyone and lets start!!!

02 February 2007
welcome pintoplex, I'm sure you will find very useful this forums, hope to see some of your work around, feel free to ask or post yur wip's and final images

best regards

02 February 2007
Thkz, James, i will post some of my work.I have some tests with matte in video to show.I will prepare them to post here...

05 May 2007
This certainly looks a fun place to be with all the competitions and all. I look forward to speaking to some of you soon and indeed entering the competitions too.

Regards,

Jay

06 June 2007
No welcome for me ;(

06 June 2007
Welsome Photoshopped!

I hope you show something to us

reply share thread