The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Lee Niven

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #61
the last big one (or the bottom left) for te win!

Old 03 March 2006   #62
Originally Posted by Womball: The 5th or 4th, the colour combos work nicely. Your monkeys don't look like those monkeys. As for the composition, I would pull away from the character. I would show some landscape and a hint of the destination (just for experimenting). It feels kind of enclosed and non epic.

Ah my 3D model monkey was proving quite tricky to draw in different poses, so I decided to use a simplified version just for the composition. He will remain the same as the 3D one though
I see what you mean about how the scene now looks enclosed and I do feel myself wondering if it is the right choice.
I think I will take the colour work from these and try to make it all feel a bit more epic in scale (combine it with the original concept in 3d).
Thanks again for the crits Mr womball, always appreciated.

Originally Posted by Selina42: Its an interesting new focal point -but I have to admit that I was so fond of the concept of the troupe of monkeys marching out of the gates which had a very strong tribal vibe to it -i could just imagine them all piling out and being in your face! Looking at the images i could almost hear war-drums in the background! -and you could really capatilaise on the feeling of torchlight and vibrant colours. Conceptually it has elements that remind me of that fabulous TV show Monkey (you know -"aiiiii ieee ieee ieee Tripitaka!" that we all watched as kids -and im still addicted to!), combined with the Lion King and the lemurs from Madagascar -that kind of strength and vibe i mean- while being something very individual and original conceptually. So I'd really like to see you still capitalise on that! -I was also hoping you'd combine it with the image of the commander on the warthog -even though you say you drew those pictures with a mouse they just have tons of character so i truly hope you use them!
I think its great to add in some emotional elements -but I do agree with Womball and think it would be good to combine emotional elements with more humourous ones.
Having said that I'm a big fan of this work and i'm sure that whichever direction you go in will be splendid!

This is exactly how I'm feeling
I was trying to cut the scene down to something more manageable but to be honest, I think there is just as much work needed in this small composition as there was in the original.
I would still need to make 3 different monkeys and then rig/light and texture them.

I like the original as well but was worried that it didn't fit the journey theme too well :S
I think I will plod on with 3D and see which colour/mood theme people like, then make it all epic like the original
(Then I will probably run out of time and not finish but have fun in the process yay! lol)

Originally Posted by M477: the last big one (or the bottom left) for te win!

That one reminds me of the Gladiator DvD cover

Old 03 March 2006   #63
Concept Sketch: Colour/Mood sheet

Now with added numbers :)

Old 03 March 2006   #64
nr 4, itīs daytime and still are the couple sad... thatīs kind of emotional or for really go with the sad felling, nr 6... nr 1 is nice too.. hmmm... all those hard choices..

Old 03 March 2006   #65
Originally Posted by makaron: nr 4, itīs daytime and still are the couple sad... thatīs kind of emotional or for really go with the sad felling, nr 6... nr 1 is nice too.. hmmm... all those hard choices..

I hate making these choices because I want to make them all :'(
I need some Guinea Pig helpers who are trained in the art of Max and Photoshop.
Hmm I wonder where I can get some of those

Old 03 March 2006   #66
I can see an excellent concept here. Besides the obvious good feeling and talent for stylisation and for character work, also impressive technical background that can be seen in the test renders of details. Not to mention the very good proposed composition of elements inside the picture.
I have no doubt this illustration is going to settle high.

Old 03 March 2006   #67
Originally Posted by Womgoose: I need some Guinea Pig helpers who are trained in the art of Max and Photoshop.
Hmm I wonder where I can get some of those

haha .. well I have two, they are trained in photoshop and a tiny bit of C4D ... and now when I ask them, they say... we kind of growing found of nr 1, he have knight kind of clothes and that big castle goes very well with that

and they wanna add: a peanuttree must be heaven...

Last edited by makaron : 03 March 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #68
Originally Posted by Lovas: I can see an excellent concept here. Besides the obvious good feeling and talent for stylisation and for character work, also impressive technical background that can be seen in the test renders of details. Not to mention the very good proposed composition of elements inside the picture.
I have no doubt this illustration is going to settle high.

Very kind words, thank you.
I will try very hard to realise my concept, or at least come close to the concept that is in my head
I won't be able to produce a final image up to the quality of yourself and many others on this site but I am enjoying the challenge and the good feeling the community brings.
It's also great to be surrounded by such talent so that when I eventually do get stuck I have 2000 masters to aid me

Originally Posted by makaron: haha .. well I have two, they are trained in photoshop and a tiny bit of C4D ... and now when I ask them, they say... we kind of growing found of nr 1, he have knight kind of clothes and that big castle goes very well with that

and they wanna add: a peanuttree must be heaven...

LOL!
I never knew Guinea Pigs liked castles.
I wonder if your Guinea Pig knows a Max trained Guinea Pig hmm
I bet they like monkeys and would love a flying monkey lol

Old 03 March 2006   #69
Cute idea and nice work so far, i think i quite like the number 3 and 6 from you colour tests

Old 03 March 2006   #70
Hi Lee, My favourite image is the number 2. I also like the background from no. 3 and 5.
Keep going!

Old 03 March 2006   #71
Originally Posted by hhssuu: Cute idea and nice work so far, i think i quite like the number 3 and 6 from you colour tests

Thanks Hhssuu, glad you like it so far
Your Whale image was spectacular and your Journey image looks like it will be just as good.

Originally Posted by snowan: Hi Lee, My favourite image is the number 2. I also like the background from no. 3 and 5.
Keep going!

Thanks for popping by to see my work Snowman
A really cool idea you have for yours, the landscape looks immense and the journey certainly looks epic
Love it so far.

Last edited by Womgoose : 03 March 2006 at 06:54 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #72
Progress report:

Stuck in work so I can't post updates but last night/this morning I managed to finally 'finish' the Monkeys head.
He now has a chin and droopier jowls as well as a more defined snout area.
I've started work on pieces of his armour and have just about finished the body, although to be honest I'm not exactly happy with it and think I have added too much detail for what is required.
If I eventually do have 20+ of these guys on screen, the added detail could kill my PC... hmm decisions decisions.

With luck I will manage to get some time off work
If so, I will update the modelling side of this with more images and concepts.

Any more people out there who want to help me choose a colour/mood scheme... the more the merrier.

Anyway, back to work for me, cya soon :(

Old 03 March 2006   #73
You know you could render the scene in stages to help your machine out a bit. You could render particles/foreground/background all sepparately and then composite all the elements together?

Just a thought

Old 03 March 2006   #74
Originally Posted by M477: You know you could render the scene in stages to help your machine out a bit. You could render particles/foreground/background all sepparately and then composite all the elements together?

Just a thought

I really do need to set some time aside to learn that.
My machine will be ok with the full scene but I like to tweak forever, so the quicker the render the better (At least for a while).

Old 03 March 2006   #75
Hmm, hard to say but I think I prefer number 4. Looks like you have more votes for some of the others. Regardless, good luck with whichever one you choose.

Great concept, btw!

Thread Closed share thread