The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Lee Niven

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #46
I hope your not getting rid of the monkeys! You don't have to go that emotional, although a little wouldn't hurt. The soldier grooming the baby monkey is nice. Little family monkey touches coudl make it moving and funny at the same time.

Old 03 March 2006   #47
Fear not Mr Womball the Monkeys are here for good
The previous sketches were ideas for background scenes but I will only add them if I have loads of spare time (very unlikely lol).

The main composition (no2) is just about done and I'm going to post up a load of colour/mood samples in a minute

Old 03 March 2006   #48
Heh heh. Mr. Womball. "Its Mr. Womball to you!" Are these compositional color tests?

Old 03 March 2006   #49
Concept Sketch: Cold

Time to start uploading my concept sketch mood/lighting tests.
Please let me know which one you like the most because I'm sure to choose the worst one on my own :)

All the backgrounds are simple comps using photos/paintings/crops etc and will be scrapped completely for the final work.

COLD
A cold, dark and lonely feel?

Old 03 March 2006   #50
Concept Sketch: Morning

MORNING
More of a cheery feel to this picture with the sun coming up in the background casting pink shades across the scene.

Old 03 March 2006   #51
Concept Sketch: Sinister

SINISTER

A creepy feel with lots of shadow :)

Old 03 March 2006   #52
Concept Sketch: Summer

SUMMER
Neutral/boring?

Old 03 March 2006   #53
Concept Sketch: Winter

WINTER
Very cold, with lots of blues.

Old 03 March 2006   #54
Concept Sketch: Backlit

BACKLIT
Hmm more of an idea than a workable scene.
The idea was to have the scene lit from behind, maybe with torches on the fort.

Old 03 March 2006   #55
Concept Sketch: Sunset/Storm

SUNSET
This started out as a sunset colour scheme but I think it has a kind of a storm feel to it.
Slightly sinister and creepy but with warmer colours.

Old 03 March 2006   #56
Concept Sketch: Comp_Sheet

...phew all done.
Sorry for the amount of images.

As always, all crits are very welcome.
Please be as brutal as you need because that's the only way I will spot the errors (All im seeing now is pixels hehe)

Old 03 March 2006   #57
really nice I'd go with the third or the sixth one and then add rain to it, that would give the real feel to It I think.

Good luck.

Old 03 March 2006   #58
Originally Posted by dunderdan: really nice I'd go with the third or the sixth one and then add rain to it, that would give the real feel to It I think.

Good luck.

Oops I forgot to add numbers to the thumbnail sheet :(
Was that #3 and #6 on the thumbnails or the big pictures? (sorry)

Old 03 March 2006   #59
The 5th or 4th, the colour combos work nicely. Your monkeys don't look like those monkeys. As for the composition, I would pull away from the character. I would show some landscape and a hint of the destination (just for experimenting). It feels kind of enclosed and non epic.

Old 03 March 2006   #60
Its an interesting new focal point -but I have to admit that I was so fond of the concept of the troupe of monkeys marching out of the gates which had a very strong tribal vibe to it -i could just imagine them all piling out and being in your face! Looking at the images i could almost hear war-drums in the background! -and you could really capatilaise on the feeling of torchlight and vibrant colours. Conceptually it has elements that remind me of that fabulous TV show Monkey (you know -"aiiiii ieee ieee ieee Tripitaka!" that we all watched as kids -and im still addicted to!), combined with the Lion King and the lemurs from Madagascar -that kind of strength and vibe i mean- while being something very individual and original conceptually. So I'd really like to see you still capitalise on that! -I was also hoping you'd combine it with the image of the commander on the warthog -even though you say you drew those pictures with a mouse they just have tons of character so i truly hope you use them!
I think its great to add in some emotional elements -but I do agree with Womball and think it would be good to combine emotional elements with more humourous ones.
Having said that I'm a big fan of this work and i'm sure that whichever direction you go in will be splendid!

Thread Closed share thread