The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Steven Bateman

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #61
Why not try to get something halfway between the 2 lighting looks? As if it is dusk, ie., quitting time, and the yellow light from the setting sun is coming in the side window while the blue cheesy flourescent light shines on his face. Sort of suggesting where he is and where he would rather be.

Last edited by soapy : 03 March 2006 at 06:39 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #62
Soapy's got a good suggestion there. Natural lighting but still be dramatic with it.

Old 03 March 2006   #63
Dont know how i missed this thread! I love your modelling style -incredibly original and lovely flow to it! A real pleasure to watch! The idea is also a great one - such an original take on the subject. I think i prefer the more dramatic lighting of the two. The only thing i would crit is the camra angle of the composition -i think the straight on angle of the camera could be made more interesting if you moved it to really capitalise on the paperwork towering above him in every direction, and exagerate the bending of the paperwork even more so it seems to really bow in on him. I really look forward to seeing more!

Old 03 March 2006   #64
Originally Posted by 3D_Explorer: I miss the dramatic lighting, I think it gave the image a much more ominous feeling.

I second that too. I think you got it right first time with the lights, handlebar!(clever you!) it also gives the sense he's working long into the night. the darker blue tones also highlight your wonderful modelling.

Old 03 March 2006   #65
nice modeling!

I think I liked more the blue one...
but you are right when you say that whit a realistic ilumination the skin will give you a better photorealistic skin...
my be you can mix the two ideas....

Old 03 March 2006   #66
Thanks for the imput folks, the thing that was throwing me is that i want to nail a style for myself so i can create a gallery here. I've had it in mind for a long time now to add very fleshy characters to neutral environments. What i'm after is some kind of consistancy in what i do, a style that can be recocniseable as mine. Soapys gallery is a good example of this and its what i aspire to. I'll keep working on it until things gell in my mind, strong colours and lighting always looks cool, but i feel i would like to be more subtle in my approach, with future images in mind.
Thanks again for the feedback, its helped a lot and i hope i don't dissapoint whichever rout i take.

Old 03 March 2006   #67
Your last post looks promising, he's certainly got his own style! Good luck in sorting out your gallery

Old 03 March 2006   #68
Talking Haha!

Cool work! Really like your modelling stile. He's melting down...Great concept!
Nice to see some other theme than small animals!

andreas@edithouse.se
twitter.com/AndreasWesa

www.wesa.tv

www.edithouse.se

Old 03 March 2006   #69
I'd say your style is VERY distinctive handlebar..I love it. keep em coming mate!

Old 03 March 2006   #70
I agree, very distinctive. I think you have received some very good C&Cs with your last two updates. I believe the realistic style will really be a good approach. Keep doing a great job!

Old 03 March 2006   #71
Shading (Textured and lit): lighting

Thanks for all your comments folks it helped me a lot, i'm now in the right ballpark i think. Thanks to Soapy for the sunset through window idea and Shakes for the comp advice. You guys are tops.

Old 03 March 2006   #72
M477 thanks for looking in and your kind words.

Jonason glad you like the concept

shakes thanks for your support buddy, hope you like the new look Angus

se7enthcin thanks for your comment, the realistic aproach is the one that i'm aiming for. Hope you like the update.

Old 03 March 2006   #73
Aaahhh.. that cup - "Worlds greatest dad"... just heartbreaking. Great detail!
You definitely have a style of your own - and a very good one, I'd say! The new lighting and semi-realistic texturing works well - and the setting sun adds to the concept real good.
Love this piece

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 03 March 2006   #74
Now that's what I'm talking about! A beautiful mix of lighting styles. Nice job!

Old 03 March 2006   #75
Originally Posted by 3D_Explorer: Now that's what I'm talking about! A beautiful mix of lighting styles. Nice job!
No, no, no, thats what I was talking about! ;-)

Seriously nice lighting job Handlebar. That is the time of day when I always think "Get me out of this stinkin office!", it sucks to miss the sun setting, working over a pile of papers. And like Gunilla says the mug is a perfect touch. Also the dead plant adds an ominous foreshadowing... Good work.

Thread Closed share thread