The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Nico Strobbe

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2006
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Nico Strobbe

Nico Strobbe is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: final image and story

03 March 2006
oh boy,

what did i do now?

Just entered to force me to start creating something! So shoot me to speed it up even more!
Hope to make concepts soon.

Good luck to all

03 March 2006
Yep, better bring it on or I'll fail you this semester! And it'll make a nice portfolio item! So GET TO IT! mehehe

03 March 2006
hehehehe,

in a few moments i need to go to work.
So i'll have A lot of time to start the concept.

cheers

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: dissipate

The first concept that still doesn't have the emotive power that i seek. It's about the exile of refugees shown directions by a stone blind statue into strange land.

03 March 2006
concept

The idea is to create an image that is more build uppon symbols to display one of the most active subjects in europe.
It's about the exile of refugees fleeing from either theire hometown of foreign country. They are exiled from the dark side of town where little windows look uppon!
They are shown directions by a blinded stone statue that shows direction while faced to the sun. He leads them to a crossroad where the choices of the refugees will seal their faith or death.

The refugees are dressed in rags and carry the loads through the sandy road.
o jeah, 2 kids wil be throwing rocks at the statue.

And many more that needs some brainstorming.

cheers

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: concept sketch

A better concept sketch than the other with more symbolisme.
There still need to be more people but i'm already been busy for too long on this one.

03 March 2006
here a little exlenation of the different ellements of the image:

1: the city is a rather compact city with lots of sky-scrapers and social buildings towards the border. Most of the buildings have a closed side that is faced to the dark side as a kind of sensorship.

2: the stone statue is an icon of a blind man leading people in the wrong direction. While still faced towards the sun.

3: the high trees are the symbol for misdirection to a place with food but out of reach. By this tree you can also see the reaper who is a bit to visible at this point

4: the arrows at the crossroad are blank!

5: the evil side of the poisoned water is caused by the city's industry!

Last edited by Nothingness : 03 March 2006 at 11:07 PM.

03 March 2006
it's so quiet and lonely in here

03 March 2006
Yo. I guess you're not lonely anymore...First off thanks for your reply and secondly - This could be a magnificant image...I mean the dynamics of it all... The concept is, i must say, somewhat sad but playing that emotional angle definitely gets attention. I think I wanna see like dirt in their faces and lots of misc stuff in that carraige that they're stuggling to move. Do this just right and you'll have at least one fan for support. and nice scetch too. I think it'll also be awesome if that evil dark cloud atmosphere could carry itself through to the city. I can see you you were going for balance, maybe keep it dark on the right side,sure, and let's say - maybe spread it out a bit more over the city?

03 March 2006
hey asbassie,

you just made my day amigo!

From now we'll do as much modeling as possible because there's a lot of stuff and detail in here! Second: i'm keeping the city clean because this would enlarge the dramaticness of peaple being exiled into the polluted area!
And yeah, the refugees will have mudd un their faces and will be dressed in mudded rags!

At this point i'm modeling the city a bit and hope to do some other concept sketches of some details like the refugees!

About the saddness: i was hoping to bring a lot of drama and picture it as a dramatic painting in the 16th century.
But we'll see about that!

Thanx again for the comment asbassie!

03 March 2006
Concept Sketch: sketches at work

These are just some mere sketches i made while attending work ;-)

03 March 2006
Man, this is so inspiring...You know what? I truly like the honest and like original...I think it would ROCK if you could get the same look in 3D along with those expressions. the pulling figure is really working, go with it. Those building look promising...

MORE?

03 March 2006
Originally Posted by asbassie: MORE?

well i'm kind of doing the textures of a social complex. But the 8k by 8k texturess don't make it easy

I want this one finished today and then i'll start the characters.

03 March 2006
Go man Go!! Everything is falling into place... Can we expect more on monday?

Thread Closed share thread