The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Andrzej Sykut

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Andrzej Sykut

Andrzej Sykut is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The real final image ;)

Old 03 March 2006   #2
Concept Sketch: Rough concept fun

Hi :)

Last time i had participated was more than a year ago - so it's just about time to do it again. I'm bit busy with various things, so updates may not be daily - but hopefully i'll finish in time.

Now, on to the important stuff ;). The idea is to have the world visually based on coral reefs - but scaled up quite a bit. Think whole big mountain made of corals, all living. All those underwater organisms have so much shapes and colors and surfaces - so there is a lot of visual potential. Second part of the idea is the inhabitants (other than various wild things). I was thinking of nomadic, solitary kind. Nomadic means a lot of traveling to do, and as the terrain does not encourage simply walking, they need some kind of transportation. That's where this 'jellyfish' thingy in the image comes in - that is their living means of transport. Now i know that airborne jellyfish are not that original (to mention Frank Herbert or Arthur C. Clarke), but i like the idea of harnessing them, and using as a kind of living airship (i have a soft spot for airships, and other flying things...).

The moment i wanted to show is change of seasons. Wind starts to pick up, spores are being seeded (those glowing thingies), and our nomads are just about to move on, to some warmer part of their world ;).

The sketch is just a rough speedie - just playing with shapes and colors, probably just about everything will change ;). I have more vegetation sketches (have to color them, coming soon), and some jellyfish/airship designs - hopefully i'll post them in the coming days.

Ok, so that's it for now, C&C is of course welcome. Good luck everybody! :)

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Wow, great colors you have going. I'm looking forward to seeing it in 3D. Good luck!

Old 03 March 2006   #4
cool sketch man! reminds me of the coral reefs here!, like the idea
cheers!

Old 03 March 2006   #5
hi azazel, it's great to see you in this challenge!
I really liked your final entry for the GOS challenge, I'm sure this one will be fantastic too
This first idea sounds nice ,
Good luck man

Old 03 March 2006   #6
Talking

cool idea keep going

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Judging from your last enrty colors and lit..i know from now that this will be awesome too ....

subscribed.

Old 03 March 2006   #8
Instant suscribing !

cheers ,

-Zapan

"One today is worth two tomorrows"
-Benjamin Franklin-

Old 03 March 2006   #9
Concept Sketch: the airship jelly - sketch

This again is just a sketch of what i have in mind for the airship - of course it'll likely change in the end. I was pretty happy with mechanical, metal 'pod', but recently i've been thinking of something far less advanced (think wood and ropes)... we'll see.

Edit: Thanks, guys, much appreciated :) :wip:

Last edited by azazel : 03 March 2006 at 10:31 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #10
excellent design and colors. It would be interesting to see how you'll do it in 3d.
good luck.

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

Old 03 March 2006   #11
Originally Posted by authentic: excellent design and colors. It would be interesting to see how you'll do it in 3d.
good luck.

Modeling will be easy enough, but i really look forward to lighting and rendering those jelly things... should be fun , i already have some ideas... Glad you like it

Old 03 March 2006   #12
I will echo the others who posted in this thread and say awesome concepts! I always love an underwater theme as well (even if it's not under water). Looking forward to the models

Old 03 March 2006   #13
wow!

You sketch is WONDERFULL!
how much time you spend in this?

good luck to you job!

Old 03 March 2006   #14
yep awesome sketch! The colors are beautifull
Very interesting concept, can't wait to see more!

Old 03 March 2006   #15
How much time ? Probably few hours, split in two evenings... i'm bit out of practice when it comes to painting .

Thread Closed share thread