The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Nicolas Stanek

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #31
Hey Nicolas, really terrific job on the hair! Very nice! (Hope you didn't spend ages churning out test version hair-renders...always seems to take me forever to get hair to look right, especially with the five minute renders you mention.)

Look forward to seeing more! Good luck!

Old 04 April 2006   #32
Hey, This is a great thread, I enjoyed your posts. Your characters are fun! I need to do a bunch next week at least 5 but more like 10-20. Noahs Ark is my theme. Im kinda jealous your are so completed. Have you tried rendereing fur with renderman, deep shadows look great.Ill be back

Old 04 April 2006   #33
Modeling: monk modelling

Here's a first draft of my monk or rather the template character Im going to use for cloning the rest of the croud. After that, a quick individual surgery in Zbrush will give them a little personality. Ok, lets Pelt this man and get the UV unwrapped so we can move on!

Old 04 April 2006   #34
Hey Nicolas, really like your theme and perspective...had to look up Xuanzang...found this link if others are interested in knowing more about your cool backstory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuanzang

What a noble subject to have chosen. Looking foward to seeing more, good luck!

Old 04 April 2006   #35
Thanks Oceanbluesky and Rasamaya for your kind support!!

Jounrey to the West is a great Novel and for sure Boudhism as many old religion is an infinit gold mine for supernatural and fantastic inspiration... Im trying to render all this enlightment in Mental Ray (except for paint FX)

I let my cosmic consciousness speak through Maya, the divine power of creation, my Godess of illusions

Old 04 April 2006   #36
Ooh a human. He overall looks very good. Some tweaks though that I think he could benefit from:

His upperlip looks too puffy and your losing the plane of skin that sits right on top of the upperlip. Check the edges of the lips. There doesn't seem to be the 3rd fold of skin there created by the NODE! Its a connection point where most of the lip muscles attach. Its tends to create a slight swelling toward the innerlip. And it is slightly raised.

The knees lack detail and look box modeled. So I would suggest beveling some of the boxiness of it.

The feet aren't quite feet yet. There is no arch from side to side (flatfooted). Also his feet are tiny! I know it used to be a custom for women to bind their feet in Asian countries, but I don't think men ever did it. A foot is a little bigger than the head in length.

Overall very nice modeling!

Old 04 April 2006   #37
Lightbulb

Good call Womball ...it's pretty much what I had spotted as well... and I can't wait to give him a buffer job tonight

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 03:35 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #38
Modeling: monk

Here's our fellow monk, in the subd form wearing a misss fast skin shader.

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 01:25 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #39
Modeling: clothing draft

started some monks cassock...

Old 04 April 2006   #40
Looking much better! hahahahha, great use of the ying yang! The shouldders lack definition and the back of the upperarm is kind of lumpy.

Old 04 April 2006   #41
indeed

That's right Womball, something is wrong with the arms/shoulder area... and it needs some more nerves and muscles for sure...
the Uvs are done though... about an hour... Pelting Tools to the rescue
getting to really like this plugin a lot!

I should start texturing him in the very near futur

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 03:17 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #42
Good models and concept

The Journey Begins
Spectacular 3D

Old 04 April 2006   #43
Modeling: xuanZang

Fixed a couples of things: his head arms and where shoulder bend.

Last edited by lostcat : 05 May 2006 at 08:47 PM.

Old 05 May 2006   #44
Modeling: monk

added a belt and a few straps on the shoes...

Old 05 May 2006   #45
Modeling: Environment crafting

I finally upgraded the statue on your left! I also modeled a new banyan tree... perhaps a fig struggler this time :)) I dont know... worked on the grass and made the fall behind the tree really quickly with some paint fx after spending a fairly good amount of time to revamp the whole mountain. Textures are temporary and soon to be replaced by something more hand crafted... how many more month do we have ?

Last edited by lostcat : 05 May 2006 at 07:11 AM.

Thread Closed share thread