The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Nicolas Stanek

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #16
Nice iguana model -- might want to run it through Z-brush...their website actually has alpha brushes which would paint nice bumps and scales on it, if you wish

Looking foward to seeing more, good luck!

Old 04 April 2006   #17
Very nice model of iguana - idea is cool too!
staszek@staszekmarek.com

Old 04 April 2006   #18
Modeling: pig

Now lets get dirty...

Old 04 April 2006   #19
Modeling: monkeys

Modelling the monkey

Old 04 April 2006   #20
Modeling: tiger

here's the tiger

Old 04 April 2006   #21
Great looking characters! Are those front paws finished?
I'll be looking more to this thread!
Clouds look good too, maybe some color variation can make it less uniform! Just a thought!

Old 04 April 2006   #22
hello nicolas,

the tiger caught my attention this time! One question about him: are the front feet gonna stay that way? It looks like he was wearing socks that grew attached to the legs.
Another thing: what are you gonna do with him? You gonaa use a texture or fur? I think you'll use texture because the body is too thick to be putting fur on.

Th feet of the pigs: do they actually look like that? I wouldn't know exactly, but now they look a bit like shoes with high heels. Maybe check up on that to be sure.

Also nice way to use the paint effects for the clouds. I'll have a look in that when i'll be needing the clouds. Do they also render in mentalRay ?

keep them updates commin ok!

Old 04 April 2006   #23
thanks for the comments Varma and Nothingness. I agree, this looks strange just like that ... Well I guess Im trying to find the essence of these animals rather than diggin for realism ) + these animals will occupied a little fraction of space in the final image. Texturing and fur will do the rest of the job...hopefully
...I might take them for a longer Zbrush ride after the contest, who knows.

Paint FX are not gonna render in MR and unfortunatly, I want to throw in there a lot more than that and dont want to deal with shit loads of them converted in polys .. Im trying to find a good compositing strategy. I have done very little compositing work before. Now I feel like I will run into trouble soon.

BTW, Im still using my concept sketch as the final composition and how things should look like in the final version...sort of a challenge I imposed to myself...

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 05:35 AM.

Old 04 April 2006   #24
Shading (Textured and lit): TIger

after a good shampoo, here comes the tiger...

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 01:59 PM.

Old 04 April 2006   #25
Shading (Textured and lit): pig

Oink! The pigs should be far enough so no need for more work, we wont see the skin details.

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 05:31 AM.

Old 04 April 2006   #26
Shading (Textured and lit): monkey

Foxy monkey doing the parade

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 05:13 AM.

Old 04 April 2006   #27
Hey, That is a good looking monkey , nice furring! what do u use for hair? I use the shave&Haircut that comes with max, it is good but a pain when rendering, I also have used shag hair, but shamely it renders only with scanline render, I'll appreciate if you share your experience or tips

Old 04 April 2006   #28
thanks Climax, that's Maya Fur, painted a few attributes maps. Im using two fur definitions, one for the eyebrows + his sort of moustache and one for the whole body. Rendering took 5 minutes in MR

Old 04 April 2006   #29
That's quite an impressive pig! I haven't really experimented much with maya fur, can it be made as thick as grass or feathers? And can you use ansioscopic shaders?

Old 04 April 2006   #30
thanks Womball I believe you can make fur pretty thick, never used it for anything else than fur so I dont know how thick you can go (grass no problem). Using anisotropic shaders ? I dont thinks so... all IM using is the specular color and sharpness that come with it in the attributes editor... It's probably coded so it mimics the effects of an anisotropic shader...

Thread Closed share thread