The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Nicolas Stanek

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Nicolas Stanek

Nicolas Stanek is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: vv

Old 03 March 2006   #2
Lightbulb Concept Sketch: The Draft of a journey

This rough sketch of the concept of my Journey will be an empiric vision of what could have been the day Xuanzang left his town for a long trip across China to reach India and bring back the Sutras... a blink inspired from the Journey to the west...Im not going with the characters of the Novel, but they will appear as they served the inspired vision of the the famous legends of the Monkey king .... But! In my version its no question of any comics/movies/TVseries character duplicata but a picture of Xuanzang himself leaving his disciples to engage his long march toward the West...

Last edited by lostcat : 03 March 2006 at 04:33 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #3
very very good concept and references. It will be epic for sure ! I'm really curious bout it ! waiting to see more.

Good luck and Have fun

Old 03 March 2006   #4
Hey Nicolas,

I don't know the story but your concept sketch looks great.

Old 03 March 2006   #5
Cool dimensions and wonderful concept!
Good luck!

Old 03 March 2006   #6
Concept Sketch: concept improved

Hi guys and thanks for your moral support! I wish everyone a great Journey!

I added a dragon (the Iguana), some pigs and of course, some monkeys...Now, Im gathering some references for the monks dresses and Im still trying to figure out what kind of position/mood and style the human figures will have...

Last edited by lostcat : 03 March 2006 at 08:40 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Concept Sketch: Concept - Final crew

I Added a tiger laying peacfully on the enourmous banyan tree. He will eventually protect our pilgrim along his journey hence it is said in the legends ... I cant tell for sure if in the story, he meets his little kitty on his way back from India though but for now, he will just represent a powerful karma on top of Xuanzang....

mmmm, to be perfectly honest, Im really happy with the composition and how it turned out. I will try to stick with it as much as possible... Now the 3d part...Hope that I will have a real enligthment power boost for the 3d prod .... zen... stay zen

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 05:20 AM.

Old 03 March 2006   #8
Modeling: blocking the environment

Im starting by blocking the 3d environment against the painting so I can align everything and establish the distances between the objects in the scene. At this point Ive also established wich objects will corespond to a render layer... four render pass should divide the probably astronomically high number of polygons render pass. I will try to composit everything in PS... if I ever get there.

l8er

Old 03 March 2006   #9
Nice concept there and composition. I have some problems usually fitting my compositions in the same PoV as the concept and you have done this pretty well.

Old 04 April 2006   #10
Who's back!

Ok party people, Im finally back recovering from a HD crashed ... had to reinstall eveything and, man I almost cried. I was so pissed I almost didn have the guts to see how crazy people were doing in here... Ok 'nough said, lets proceed with the latest developements...

Old 04 April 2006   #11
Modeling: blocking the environment

Lots of stuff going on here:
improved the evironment geometry also added a river and bridge. I started the banyan tree and Im doing some basic PaintFX grass test.

later

Old 04 April 2006   #12
Modeling: PaintFX clouds

Ive decided to use a paint FX approach for the clouds. I Modelled two planes one on top of the other so I can paintXF the curves (clouds) on two different height level.

Old 04 April 2006   #13
Shading (Textured and lit): PaintFX clouds

a quick render test, here's how it looks with a little depth fog and air density. Of course the lighting is still at a very primitive stage, but I like how the contrast cuts the front and the back ground, making everything readable.

see ya!

Last edited by lostcat : 04 April 2006 at 03:17 AM.

Old 04 April 2006   #14
Modeling: Iguana modelling

Modelling the Iguana, dont think Im gonna had more details than this, the textures should do the rest.

Old 04 April 2006   #15
Nice work lostcat, I think we're almost after the same thing here Except I wish I could get more familiar with zbrush during the span of these few weeks left

Thread Closed share thread