The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Toni Bratincevic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #1
The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Toni Bratincevic

Toni Bratincevic is entered in the "The Journey Begins Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: The Last Journey

Old 03 March 2006   #2
Concept Sketch: Initial Sketch

This was my intial sketch. Nothing special but just to show some elements quickly. The story is about gods who lived in this great fortress far away in the heaven. The belief in them were the main reason why they lived, but since time passed by and people forgot about them, the reason for they existance were lost ... a lot of them dissapeared and died and with only few of them left they decided to pick one and send him to the earth with mission to restore faight.
What I want to show in this picture is a old man (god) at this dock thinking what could he except when he comes to earth, and in the same time I want to show the sadness because he are leaving his home. The journey begins, and what he could expect when he comes to earth is something that even he doesnt know.

Old 03 March 2006   #3
Concept Sketch: First 3D The Layout

I didnt signed in the challenge but I started few days ago so thats why I will post my work till now.

So this was my first layout. I decided for the portrait format of image because that was the only way to show the giant structure in the back. The structure is mostly made with gothic architecture on the top, and at the botton is are the metal part structure on which the gothic arch were build. Even the characters dont know who build it ... they assume it was created by the unified life energy of humas.

Old 03 March 2006   #4
Welcome . i like your story gooood luck .

Old 03 March 2006   #5
Modeling: Modeling start

This is the modeling start. Everything would be done in the separate groups like window01 window02 etc so I can easily combine them in the future. I decided to create few type of windows, from small ones to big ones, some arches, fences, and other type of building blocks so that is my task whis week. Maybe in the few days I will have some rough model of cathedral.

So here is the first window form my first day of work which was two days ago...

Old 03 March 2006   #6
Modeling: Modeling continued

And the render test from yesterday when I modelled arches. This is just a test render so I suppose the windows wont be placed like in this one in the final cathedral model.

Old 03 March 2006   #7
Great lighting and modelisation. But your sketch idea is not clear to me realtive to the aim of the challenge. I don't see what is relative to a journey.
Anyway good job.

Vincent

monstrorama
website
blog

Old 03 March 2006   #8
That's really beautiful. I think the light burn out will work well for being in "heaven".

Nice story too. Have you thought any on how you will display the start of a Journey?

Keep it up

Old 03 March 2006   #9
authentic:
The sketch was just quick (2 min) drawing which is pretty different from the idea what I had now but I decided to post it because it was a start. Idea is abut a god who left his home (that building in the back) on the journey to earth...

zem:
yest i thought about how to display a start ... there are two ideas at the moment but I must decide which one suits better. I know they suggest that you show the background where the character is going, but I decided to go backwards (what he left behind) because my character doesnt know where he is going it just know that he must go there.

Old 03 March 2006   #10
Thumbs up Hello!

Hello!

Like the render and modeling, amazing!!
Waiting to see how you make your compo!!

Good luck and have fun!!

Old 03 March 2006   #11
Wow awesome modeling and great render!

Keep it up

Old 03 March 2006   #12
Modeling: Back building blocks

Hi.

I didnt post anything since some time. I like to do some work and then show it so here it goes ... few of my last steps.
At the moment I am working on the back building ... the BIG church. It will be rendered in few layers since it will have around 5-6 milions of polys till the end and my computer cant chew up that much.

So here it is the first blocking and begining of modelling of that great building.

Old 03 March 2006   #13
Modeling: The modelling continues

And after the few passes here is the part where things got some form and overall scale. I basically model everything but I will do some optimizations at the end.

One important decision is to go with as much instances as I can. So there is a little shelf of the objects I already made which I copy-instance and place on to the scene. Everything could not be done this way, so for some parts of the scene I export the simple bounding box or low poly object where it needs to be placed and model in separate scene. After I do the import and the saga continues...

Old 03 March 2006   #14
Nice work! That is a BIG church.. As for rendering out the final image in stages and compositting it together, I would love to see how you manage this effectively as I am not too familiar with the process. Keep it up though, it's looking very grande

Old 03 March 2006   #15
Modeling: My sketches of the ideas

This is just an example of the ideas which I paint over last rendered image to give a visual idea of what else should be done.

I paint with my mouse so this looks terrible but it is enough. And yes, the wacom is comming this week so I suppose this kind of sketches would be better. :)

Thread Closed share thread