The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Mustapha Kerouch

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2006   #31
Post Effects and Compositing: Test for overall look

I applied a basic texture map on the boat and worked some more on the water texture. I did this render just to see how the boat and the sea would match together. C&C are welcome.

Old 03 March 2006   #32
Beautiful!

Old 03 March 2006   #33
That's really looking sweet!

The gold sails and red hull look really good together. I like the way the water behind the sailboat becomes greener in the turbulance.

The Journey Begins - My first challenge

Old 03 March 2006   #34
Looking good man! like your reflection! keep going

Old 03 March 2006   #35
Lovely model, really loving your sea texture -and both in your concept image and last its very clear you have a really strong understanding of colour!

Old 03 March 2006   #36
Excellent sea there! It will look even better when the wake and splashes from around the boat are added can't wait to see more!

Old 03 March 2006   #37
I love that water. Not only is it believable, but it looks beautiful. I agree with M477 in that some froth on the surface around the boat's wake will enhance the realism. Also, I don't think it's necessary to have two sets of mainsheets.

Wonderful stuff, and an intriguing scene.

Last edited by mdavid : 03 March 2006 at 10:54 PM.

Old 03 March 2006   #38
Thank you all for the great comments.

@mdavid: i agree with the two mainsheets, i just found it looked better and i'm not heading for 100% accuracy on the model (the proportions of the hull, mast are already inaccurate).

@m477: thanks!, I will add the splashes and wake later. I'will finish the boat modeling and textureing and then attack the skipper modeling.

@Vedic-kings: thanks!

@-WOODY-: thanks!

@Selina42: thanks: i try to do my best with the colors.

@tuck: thanks!

Old 04 April 2006   #39
Originally Posted by mkerouch: i agree with the two mainsheets, i just found it looked better and i'm not heading for 100% accuracy on the model (the proportions of the hull, mast are already inaccurate).

I understand. You will have the benefit of the boat looking more radical and therefore more futuristic the way you are rigging it and I see now that has to make it more interesting. I think you're doing a really superb scene here and wish you well

Old 04 April 2006   #40
Looks great Mustapha. Hard to offer any useful critique at this point. Can't wait to see how it looks with lights. Mostly curious as to how the sky will affect the sea and the overall color of the piece. Care to offer some insight on how you're making that beautiful sea?

Old 04 April 2006   #41
really beautiful work...love the backstory/concept...such a great job modeling the boat and rendering the ocean...I'm looking forward with hightened anticipation to seeing your characters. --Also, I think the wind would push your boat sails either toward the foreground in the direction it is tilting/traveling, or, toward the bow on the side it is now favoring...maybe that's coming since it doesn't have any wrinkles etc...looking forward to see ing more! Good luck!

Old 04 April 2006   #42
Modeling: sailboat update

I've been kept busy during the past days, sorry for that. I've found time to update the sailboat. The boat about 80-85 % done. I still need add some more details and work on the textures. I just made a basic texture for the sail so it does not seem too dull.
Hope you like it!

Old 04 April 2006   #43
@mdavid: thank you again for the support, i've seen in your portfolio your model. Very nice job.

@xyzboy: The water was not very difficult to do; a plane with a diplacement map for the overall shape. Then add a bump map and some fractal noise bump. Then a diffuse map for the texture and a noise modifier applied on the plane(in max). Finally, a raytrace reflection. I'll post my finalized textures maps later.

@oceanbluesky: Thanks, the character is comming, i moght start working on it this week.

Old 04 April 2006   #44
Post Effects and Compositing: General scene preview

I managed to work some more on my entry in spite of my final exams... So here is a general render of the scene. I am still thinking about the camera angle and the background elements. I did a basic background and splashes in photoshop. I am also working on the character and the boat is not finished yet. C&C are welcome.

Old 04 April 2006   #45
Hey man you're making nice progress, i like the really neat and detailed model you got there.

Thread Closed share thread