The Journey Begins Challenge (3D) Entry: Eric Machmer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #61
Great modelling and texturing so far, keep it up!
You might want to give the boatswain character a bit of yellow tints (in the light or material) would make the pink/white material a bit warmer

Old 04 April 2006   #62
Hey Eric, fantastic design! The entire suit is so well conceived and detailed, awesome work man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbluesky

Sheesh, the 150k limit on these images has just sucked the saturation RIGHT out of this one. What a disappointment.

Yeah, I have noticed that a couple of times in the past on images that I was getting prepped to upload. Still the good news is that your update looks like a work of art in itself!

Matt

Old 04 April 2006   #63
Thanks Alvin, Vincent, Sathe, Gunilla, Mohammad, Matt, Joblh, and of course MT...glad to be of help and appreciate the encouraging comments. --I think for the next post I'll try Photoshop's selective optimization feature to retain saturation in some areas of the image. (I hope...)

Excellent, exciting suggestion Joblh (cool name you have too)...adding yellow touches to the pink of her suit would be really interesting. I'll try it out. Perfect suggestion!

Thanks again all!

Old 04 April 2006   #64
Looking great, especially the ones at the start. That flying machine? Looking really cool

Old 04 April 2006   #65
Hi Eric, man I really like your way of designing, both story and graphics, I find your transportation tree shaped very amusing, your character looks nice too, very promising, I am waiting to see your work done, very promising... Eric, thanks for your commets con my post too. It is really nice how this helps artists to share commets and get in touch.. GOOD LUCK.

Old 04 April 2006   #66
Wow you are dedicated.
I must admit I find it impossible to upload images without tweaking them in PS but this is just brilliant. Such great imagination and love put into that.
I have a sneaky feeling you have done character design work before after seeing this sheet

Lovely work and a great image as well

Old 04 April 2006   #67
Thanks Alex, Richard, and Lee -- yeah a few of those single item images earlier in this thread are lame. I'll try to replace them with more robust engaging versions..didn't know what I was doing really since this is my first CG Challenge. Enjoy the community here though...it has been quite a learning experience...perhaps at the end of the challenge it would be interesting to post links to all of the other entries from which elements in my own were inspired...the list would be quite long. Unfortunately it's been a lot of fun but I don't think I'll have the time to finish.

Good luck all!

Old 04 April 2006   #68
Its really coming along quite nicely! The modeling is fantastic. I have modeled in maya before and I find it hard to do. I'm not sure if I like the eyes on the main character though. But that's only one complaint, the coloring more than makes up for it. I'm not sure your getting your translucent effect, its really amazing!

Old 04 April 2006   #69
Hey Nathan, yeah, her eyes are difficult...they need to be cartoon eyes for various reasons and the visor in this shot knocks out their color...I'm not really pleased with them and hopefully will have time to polish her up before a final render, if that ever occurs. --Thanks very much for the crit. Really appreciate it (thought it would be possible to let the eyes slide given time constraints, but I'm glad to know they are noticable...eyelashes and lids would help too).

Old 04 April 2006   #70
I wouldn't really let anything slide with this. You will regret it eventually. For eyes, I use a 2 spheres. The innersphere is than loop cut so that an iris and pupil area are formed. These are than seperated into seperate meshes. I think I may simplify this process even more, since for animation having a seperate iris is a must. That way you can dialate the eye. However with a still its not really necessary. The outer sphere is a transparent wet look texture which give the eye a nice wetness. The angle of the iris is important too, since this give the iris a realistic depth. They tend to curve inward forming a plan that tilts toward the pupil. The pupil is just a shadeless material. A pupil in reality is a hole, its not actually a shape.

Old 04 April 2006   #71
Hey Nathan, the model uses a variation of the eye setup you decribe -- basically an anistropic outer sphere slightly above an underlying colored sphere for the eyeball, then, for the animation purposes you describe, a third anistrophic more oval sphere is placed above a fourth similarly shaped oval with a black lambert shader (slightly indented/concave) which serves as the pupil. The rotation axis for each of the two spheres composing the pupil are moved to the center point of the spheres for the eyeball, then, all four spheres are wrapped in a lattice and deformed into a cartoon shape -- this allows the pupil to follow the outer surface of the cartoon shaped eyeball for exagerated expressions and such, while also remaining independent for dilation, etc. It's a pretty cool way to create Warner Bros-like eyes.

After experimenting with a pink iris which essentially becomes invisible beneath the visor I forgot to unhide the black of the pupil before rendering! Hope to remember this before the final render...thanks very much for pointing it out! Good eye!

Old 04 April 2006   #72
Not only are your individual updates little works of art in themselves, your references and explanations are really fascinating. (I just spent an hour reading about SpaceX. really interesting stuff!)
Keep posting. Never know what I'll learn next!
Cate

Old 04 April 2006   #73
lovely stuff so far, Eric- love that turtle lamp, and the girl character has a fantastic face.
would love to see a closeup of them!

Old 04 April 2006   #74
Your attention to detail is making this piece something special. Keep up the great work

Old 04 April 2006   #75
Thanks Mark, John, and Glenn! Glad you like the backstory and atmospheric textual materials. Came across this prayer today on an item which a girlfriend gave me a long time ago and thought it was worth sharing here, especially as we come in toward the finish of this challenge...I read it more as a poem than a prayer...it was written by Sir Francis Drake on the eve of his circumnavigation of the world in 1577 (there's a lot of stuff from various religions in this thread...thought adding this one wouldn't hurt either...I am definitely not a religious nut of any persuasion...we have way more than enough):

Disturb us, Lord, when
We are too well pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we have dreamed too little,
When we arrived safely
Because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when
With the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth,
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wider seas
Where storms will show your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.

We ask You to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push into the future
In strength, courage, hope, and love.

!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Drake

Thanks again

Last edited by oceanbluesky : 04 April 2006 at 05:02 PM.

Thread Closed share thread